Main Menu

Axis

Started by kevin, April 20, 2006, 03:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Axis

Here's a bit of shooter i started working on a few hours ago.  Just setting up the player/bullets and base particles currently.  

It'll just have a bunch of ships at the top and you blast them and they blast you.  Mostly adding it since it's a bit more up to date than the existing game examples.

Video

Links

https://www.PlayBASIC.com/

Download

Download Axis (Exe & Source Code) (login required) (1.9meg)

(updated version pictured bellow)

Big C.

great, your description listens to itself after the old space invaders...

kevin

Todays WIP screenie.  Haven't really done much on it tonight, but it's coming along.  it's just about playable.  Aliens and Collision are in.  The aliens need some roaming and firing code mainly so it can play a game as such.  Currently i've just toying with particle effects.  Looks pretty good running.  Pretty simple though

The Alien artwork is from some very odl Spac Attack prototypes that INDI did.  Will  prolly replace them.  If i can find something else.

thaaks

Looks promising!
And looks like I will go through the source code line by line to learn a lot of nice stuff  :P

Cheers,
Tommy

kevin

Ohhh, On that case then,  i think i'll make it closed source.. :)

it's comng along pretty well, onyl had limited time ot work on it since friday.      But you can now kill the bad guys, just have to return the favor and add some crappy roaming AI and that'll do for the time being.

kevin

Here's today's AXIS screen shot. The game now plays, what's missing is some more AI logic for the Aliens (perhaps), the players death/restart/collision and perhaps some thruster particles for the player .

I've also been messing with blending modes. The entire screen is using BlitImage Alpha sub to help create the blur effect on everything.   Which i kinda like.   Been also messing with different modes for the Aliens and it turns out they look like glowing blobs when set to Alpha ADD.   So that's a keeper too.  It's Not the most elegant looking thing i've ever seen, nor does it play well..   but it'll serve it's purpose well enough..

kevin

Current AXIS shot from the PB1.33 demo pack

Ian Price

Those effects are looking very tasty :)
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

thaaks

And the source code looks nice too.
Source code split over several files, good function names, code pretty much cleaned up - this is a very good demo game!

On my first quick browse it seems there is some good stuff to learn from - thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Tommy

kevin

Axis V005

Those who've installed PlayBasic over the past 14 or so months would have no doubt played the original AXIS example.  The example is really more of a framework than fully playable game.   Recently,  I've been using the frame work in a successor demo called 'forest blaster'.    In the process of writing the new example certain new features have been added to the original frame work.  So effectively what i'm doing here, is cut'n'pasting some of the new routines from 'Forest Blast back into AXIS.   The most notable include the screen shake and homing missiles code.   Interestingly the screen shake makes the alpha blur  much more noticeable in the static shots.

See pictures.

kevin

Axis V006

Been tinkering with this most of yesterday, basically just wanted to get it into something that resembles a game for PB1.62b media pack.  So there's a chessy menu (with a whole two options (Start/Quit) :) ), music, sound fx and some clearer art.  The art is just throw together tidbits really,  most of which is proportionally all over the place.  It's a pity i don't have hi-res versions of them.  Oh well.         In shot i'm trialing adding some perspective to the backdrop.   While it works, i'm really that keen on it atm.  We'll see..

Actually, If any GFX minded people are reading this, then I wouldn't mind a logo.   

Draco9898

Hey there, kev. I might do you a logo for practice.
What dimensions?
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

kevin

I'm not really fussed,  in the pic bellow is the mock up of where the logo will go (the red box)  that box is 400x*100y  which looks about right

Style wise it'll need to fit what i've already got.   Was just going use a 3D style.   Used to have app for that, but I can't find it.  A bit like this http://www.grsites.com/logo/

w=200
h=50
y=100
boxc 400-w,y-h,400+w,y+h,true,rgb(255,0,0)

Draco9898

How's this?
If you don't like it, goto http://cooltext.com, render something you like, send it to me and I'll optimize it and remove the outside anti-aliasing.
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

kevin

It's ok i guess.

Quoterender something you like,

If I do it, then wouldn't that defeat the purpose of wanting an Artist to do it ?