Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Shadow Of The Beast demo

Started by Ian Price, July 14, 2006, 10:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Price

I've just uploaded a brand new SOTB demo to the CodeTank -

Download From PlayBasic.com

It's not intended to be a remake, but it shows a lot more than the old Darryl Bartlett demo - including allowing limited control over the Beast. You can now run from one side of the level to the other - over 2 minutes worth of scrolling in total.

You can also crouch. There is no punching/kicking or interaction with scenery. There are also no enemies in the demo.

This game does not make use of tile maps or PlayMapper elements, rather it just uses scrolling offest values. It's not intended to be the "BESTEST USE OF PB EVAH!" or even a good use of it, but it shows what can be done, with loads of CPU power to spare on my pc (I get way over 700FPS when frame limiting is turned off).

I was originally intending to add a scrolling message at the bottom, but got fed up before even attempting it, so here it is. As is. That's it.

Hope you get something out of it - even if it's just sheer boredom from running from one side of the game to the other  :P

Download From PlayBASIC.com

I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

stef

Hi

Thx! Fine graphics! Very impressive and atmospherically!

No more working on this? :(
Brandnew projects?

Greetings
stef

Ian Price

Sorry, but that's it. Well, maybe (there are a couple of things I wanted to add, to show PB's added power...)

Anyway, here's an .EXE packed with Molebox then .RAR'd.

Ian Price

Can anybody confirm whether this game works (or doesn't) under Win98SE?

I posted this game on CodersWorkshop and got a comment that it crashes on the user's Win98SE machine - I don't know if it's a lack of system specs or a problem with his download or if it's a PB problem or a million other things. :(

[EDIT] I've just dug out my old 98SE machine (buried under tons of stuff in a spare room) and this game does not appear to work under 98SE. Time for some digging...

[EDIT] Just got it to work by compiling it in an old version of PB and without MoleBoxing it. Now to find out whether it's PB or MoleBox that's to blame.

BTW my old pc is a 700Mhz machine and surprisingly, this game runs at full speed even on that. :)

[EDIT - AGAIN!] After a lot of faffing about, I can confirm that Molebox was the cause for crashing on Win98SE machines. I'll try to see if there are options within Molebox to get it to work properly.

kevin

Ian Price

Despite my inital suggestion that I wasn't taking this any furthewr, I am indeed doing that. I've now implemented a few other bits and bobs. However, this will not be more than the first level of the game (in actuality SOTB is a pretty poor game - a matter of style over substance).

I also added a PlayBASIC splashscreen to the start of the updated Win98SE friendly .EXE - let's people know that PB is out there and is more capable than some other languages that get more press.

Fash

*nice* I remember when SOTB first came out-I was working in a computer shop called "Microgamer" here in Doncaster and bought it straight away. Mind, after playing it for a while it got relegated to the bottom of my software collection, but it was nice to look at at listen to, LOL
Steve
For PC game/demo music visit
Future Developments

Ian Price

New update (packed .EXE - may not work with Win98SE.)

Update shows -
punching (standing and crouching punch)
changing direction animation
animated enemies (non-interactive)
"In" arrows (non-interactive)

Whilst the intro is in the pack, it causes PB to crash in the .EXE, so is not visible. This appears to be caused by problems with SpriteAlphaLevel - I'm going to have to dig deeper to discover what's causing this as it works fine in the IDE.

[EDIT] Updated with the now working intro screen stuff - bug "sorted" and worked around. Job's a good'un. :)