kevin

Common Questions regarding the PlayBasic Demo, Retail, Freebies & Updating

This FAQ contains the following categories

*DEMO & LEARNING EDITION QUESTIONS
*RETAIL QUESTIONS
*FREEBIE QUESTIONS
*UPDATING QUESTIONS

Document Revision: V0.06

This FAQ might be OLD - For the most up-to-date version read it on PlayBasic.com

DEMO & LEARNING EDITION QUESTIONS

Q.  Is the demo version the same as the retail version ?

Answer:  Yes,  but you should be aware that demo editions are generally a generation or so behind the current retail edition.  For the most part demo's are about 6 months (or more) behind the retail version.    

Q.  I noticed the some retail editions (PlayBasicFX namely) uses Direct3D engine,  does the V1.64L learning edition contain this ?

Answer:   No, the V1.64 learning edition (Free Demo) uses the Direct Draw + Software Rendering engine.  

Q.  Will a demo/learning edition based upon PlayBasicFX be issued that supports Direct 3D ?

Answer:   Yes,   however we can only issue such a thing when the retail edition is complete.  At the time of writing (Dec 2010)  we're only 1/2 the way through it's migration.  The things missing are the IDE and we still need to update the documentation & example packs to suit.  Once that's done, we can issue a demo.  As without documentation & IDE, there's little point.    

Q. What's the difference between the DEMO and LEARNING EDITION version of PlayBasic ?

Answer:   The main difference is the intended audience.    The Learning Edition are a purposely cut down edition of the PlayBasic package.  These editions are FREE of time limits,  but have less commands and functionality than a DEMO of a full version.   So the Learning Editions are intended or new users to get up to speed with PlayBasic programming.  Without the hassle of a time limits and too many commands  inhibiting their learning experience.  

Demo editions on the other are  intended to demonstrate the latest features of whole PB package.   These editions are time limited and have a reduced functionality compared to the retail edition (No Exe creation for example).

RETAIL QUESTIONS

Q. I currently only have the demo version of PlayBasic, but does the retail version still have the splash screen ?

Answer: No.

Q. If I order PlayBASIC license do i get Free upgrades ?

Answer:  Yes.  Customers can download upgrades to the core language freely for the life of PlayBASIC.     Extensions to the tool set are planned though, these will NOT be freely available.    

Q. How frequently is PlayBASIC upgraded ?

Answer:  On average there's been about 3 to 4  major upgrades issued per year.    

Q. Can the Retail edition built stand alone EXE's ?

Answer:  Yes.  

Q. Does the retail version build Machine Code  EXE's ?

Answer:  No.  Exe's use a PlayBasic Virtual Machine.    The retail version of  PlayBasic  comes with two editions of the VM.   A Release and Debug version.  The Release  has all 'safe code' (array bounds, media validity etc ) removed and  therefore gives a higher code execute speed.   Which depending upon the program, can be anywhere from 1% to 20%.    The Debug editions will give the same performance as running your project through the IDE however.  

Q. Will future version produce Machine Code Exe's ?

Answer:  Yes, it's certainly planned,  But will only be available editions based upon our second (or higher) generation Virtual Machines.  This is some time off however,  so I wouldn't it expect it in the immediate future.    

Q. How Much faster is the Retail Version than the Demo ?

Answer:  Executing your program code from the IDE (Demo or Retail) will give about the same performance.  That's assuming were comparing the same versions  (Ie. Demo V1.44 vs Retail V1.44).   But since Retail editions tend to be a few generations ahead of the demo/learning edition,  newer versions benefit from any optimizations to the code execution that have been recently made.   So running code through the IDE of Retail editions, tends to be faster on average.

Q. I've noticed there seems to be various editions of the retail version  i.e  (PlayBasic v1.63/V1.64  and PlayBasicFX v1.76) what's the difference ?

Answer:  Retail users currently (as of May 2010) have a choice of using PlayBASIC V1.64 or testing the Work In Progress editions of PlayBasixFX for free.   The difference is the technology each edition is based upon.   All versions of PlayBasic including and prior to V1.64 utilize DirectX version 3 (Direct draw).  Giving the broadest possible compatibility.    However, the PlayBasicFX editions (V1.70 and higher) use a  completely new Direct 3D based graphics engine.  Which requires 3D acceleration.  Thus some features are only available in the newer Direct3D enhanced editions.

Q.  While reading the license agreement, it mentions PB is for personal use only,  is it possible to purchase a site/multi user license ?

Answer:  Yes.  To do so contact  Kevin Picone through the site.

Q.  What languages does the PlayBASIC package support ?

Answer:  It's ENGLISH only.   We're not aware of any translations at this time.  

FREEBIE QUESTIONS

Q. I'm an experienced programmer / author / jack of all trades and would love to produce the new killer game/demo/tutorial for PlayBasic, but  can't due to the demo limitations, so can I get a freebie ? :)

Answer:  This is becoming an all too common request!     While we have given out freebies (obligation free) in the past, these have generally been to established programmers  (Developers with some releases under their belts in other languages).    Unfortunately the results were less than satisfactory. (99% hot air in fact).    So today,  we virtually never respond to 'Gimme a freebie' requests positively,  and in the rare cases that we do, this would only be if the user commits to certain requirements.  There is no such thing as a freebie!  

So I'd think very carefully before making such a request!      

Q. I'm an Graphics Artist / Musician and would like to exchange my skills media for a retail version

Answer:   This is certainly something we'd entertain.   But If we're going to exchange pre-made media for a license (or buy it), then clearly this media should not already be freely available on the internet.    An example of this might be some artwork from a project you worked on, which has not been released.

Alternatively, we're always interested in skilled artists for custom art jobs.  (all be it infrequently)

Email Kevin Picone

UPDATING QUESTIONS

Q. Should I uninstall my current retail version before installing a upgrade ?

Answer: No.  In order to work correctly, retail upgrades (also referred to as patches) must be installed over your current working install of the full retail version.    This will normally be in (C:\My Programs\PlayBasic\)

Q.  I have an older retail version (bellow V1.63) installed and wish to upgrade, do I have to install all successive updates in order to bring my install up to date ?

Answer.  No.  You simply download and install the most current patch available.   See instructions bellow!

Q.  Do upgrade packages include IDE updates ?

Answer.   As a general rule Yes.  But there are older upgrades that don't.   Installing those editions can cause issues if you've not updated for a long period of time.   However, you can download the IDE revisions separately from the PlayBASIC maintenance forum.

Q. When installing a upgrade patch, what folder should I install it to ?

Answer:   When upgrading PlayBasic via patch.  It's critical that you direct the patch installer to use the same folder where PB is currently installed     The PlayBasic installer defaults  to C:\My Programs\PlayBasic or  C:\Programs Files\PlayBasic (Depending upon your Operating System) ,   so if that's were you installed PB originally, then that's where you should install the patch also.   The installer should remember this location anyway.

Now If your edition of PlayBasic was installed to a custom folder of your choice,  say F:\MyDevelopmentTools\PlayBasic for example.  Then you should direct the patch installers to this folder F:\MyDevelopmentTools\PlayBasic  also.  

Q. Are there any videos showing the upgrading process ?

Answer:  Yep.   To install an upgrade over the existing installation, the user only has to agree to the license terms and then press next.   The installer will use the last installation location for it's target.   

Q. How can I Remove a Patch ?

Answer:  You can't.   The patch installer overwrites your old files, so there's no way to bring them back.   You can download grade patches though, by simply installing an older patch over a newer one.   So providing you hang on to your patches (recommended!), it's pretty straight forward.  

Q. I have my Base Retail version of PlayBasic V1.63/V1.64 Installed, but don't know how to upgrade it ?

Answer:   To upgrade, you need to be download the latest edition and install it Over your current installation.   Patches only include updated files.  Therefore attempting to install a patch and run it on it's own, will not only result in errors, it simply can't function without the other important files that were provided in any Full Retail installer of PlayBasic.

Update Steps

Step 1) Install your base retail version (example PB V1.63)  and activate it  (i.e. enter your serial details)  Note: If you using Vista or Win7) then we recommended, activating PlayBASIC after step 4!    

Step 2) Download the latest patch(s) from either the PB maintenance area  (HERE (login required)) or TGC site if you wish.  It doesn't matter, installers of the same version are identical

Step 3) Install said patch over your current retail install.

Step 4) When new patches are released, repeat this process starting at STEP 2

Note:  The process is the same regardless of who you purchased the software from.   Although, if you want the latest upgrades, then they're only available here.

Q. I have a really old retail installer (PB1.089, PB1.33, PB1.44), can i still upgrade these ?

Answer:   Yes you can.    Assuming you want to upgrade to the latest edition of the PlayBasic (V1.64L at the time writing), then most likely need to install the V1.63w upgrade first, from here you can install the 1.64L upgrade (or whatevers the current release).

Q. I need to RE-Install PlayBasic Retail after a reformat/Operating system change, What's the recommended procedure ?

Answer:   If you're running Vista or Windows7  then we recommend the following.

Recommended Re-Installation procedure

Step 1) Install whatever base retail edition you have (The file you download when you purchased playbasic).   For orders newer than  July / AUG 2007, this will be  PlayBasic V1.63w filename PlayBasicV163m_Retail_Setup.exe.    Older base retails versions are V1.089,  V1.33, V1.44.  But the process is the same.  

Step 2)

a) Install upgrade  PlayBasic 1.63w2 (login required)  

b)  Install latest upgrade (login required) over the top.   At the time of writing this is PlayBasic V1.64L

Step 3) Run PlayBasic.  Press F5 to compile a blank project,  enter your serial and registration details into the Dialog that appears.  

Step 4) Done.

Q. Upgrading Problems for XP (User accounts) & VISTA / Windows7 Users ?

Answer:   Users can experience problems installing (older versions of PB) or  upgrading to old versions of PlayBasic on the VISTA / Windows 7 operating systems.  The problems occur primarily due to the strict nature of such operating systems, while previous editions of Windows allow programs to write preferences into the  programs own folder (Which old versions of PB use) .   This behavior was changed from Vista onwards.

In older editions of Playbasic we used to store the programs preferences within the programs own install folder,  clean and simple.  However for most Vista / Win7 users (and some XP users also) this approach is no longer viable.   The operating system will refuse to allow PB to write into it's own folder.  This can cause all kinds of errors in really old editions of PB (and many other programs too btw).

If you wish to run old versions of PlayBasic on such environments (ie, older than PlayBasic V1.64 for example)  then we recommend  installing the software outside of the default My Programs / Programs Files  location.  This can help as Windows OS's can be less restrictive there.   But really, the best way to solve the issue is to change to a user account that is less restrictive (Admin) or use PlayBasic V1.64L.  

Q. Is there any difference between the Retail versions from UnderwareDesign and resellers like TheGameCreators ?

Answer:  No, they're identical.   So TGC customers can happily download and use any retail patches posted here with their retail version.

Q. I ordered PlayBasic from The Game Creators, can I use Patches posted here with my version ?

Answer:  Yes, they are identical.