Challenge #3 - Homing Missiles (Game AI)

Started by kevin, January 06, 2007, 09:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Challenge #3 - Homing Missiles (Game AI)

This months challenge fails loosely under the heading of game AI.   In this challenge we want you to demonstrate a method that will move an object (the missile)  towards another object (the target).    The Missile can either directly move towards the target (simpler), or can turn rotate/towards the target.    The missile should keep homing until it either hits the target, leaves the screen, or decides to give up (has not hit the target after a period of time)   For simplicities sake,  a missile should only concern it self with one target.     You could expand this challenge to handle multiple targets if you like though.

Visuals are not important, you could use lovely sprite gfx if you like (if you have some) or you could represent your characters as coloured vector graphics (lines/boxes/shapes etc)  if you like. It's the method were after, Good luck !

Homing Missile Links ?

Spac Attack Tech Demo has various homers in it

Submission

* Submissions can be written in any version of PlayBasic

* Submission can only be accepted in Source Code form only.

* Authors can use external Media (images/music) provided you created the media, have permission to use somebody else's media or the media is public domain.

* Zip up your Submissions and please try to keep it smaller than 500K !

* Authors automatically give consent for their submission(s) to distributed and used for promotional purposes via UnderwareDesign.com, PlayBasic code tank.

* Authors can submit as many times as they like.

* To make a submission, zip up your projects source code + media and either post it in this thread, or create your own a thread the Source Codes or Show Case forums and post a link bellow.

Dead Line

No dead line, no time limits.. Lets just see how creative you are :)

Ian Price

Number 3 already? I meant to do something for Number 2, but due to Xmas and working on Sorcery, I never got around to it. Will have a bash at both soon though :)
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

kevin

Homing Missile Example

Here's one I meant to post the other day, but forget about it..  Not pretty, but works :)

Download from PlayBASIC Source Codes

Ian Price

That's pretty neat, although it reminds me of a biology lecture from a more than a few years ago ;)
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.