Main Menu

Virulent Strain - demo v1.0

Started by gvillarreal, February 22, 2007, 12:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvillarreal

Here's my first little tinkering that I promised...

This is just a tech demo to test out the beginnings of a little game engine written in PB.  It's programmer (and some ripped) art so bear with the visuals...

Dead link removed 2012-11-15
"The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth."  - Morpheus

Unplugging one mind at a time...

kevin

Ian Price

That's pretty good :)

Is this going to be a full game? Could be a Fantastic Voyage stylee game.
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

stef

Hi!

Cool! Even the name sounds cool! :)

gvillarreal

Ian:  Yes, the full game concept and most of the gameplay has been fleshed out and is already in the works.  It is a 'squishy' re-make of Sinistar - where a strain of virus has infected the host and is mutating cells into building material to create a SUPER-VIRUS! (que scary music)  You have to assist the host's natural defenses (white blood cells) with fighting off the invading virus, destroying the worker virus to slow their building of the SV and avoiding and destroying the warrior virus that hunt you down.  Gameplay will be fairly close to the old coin-op Sinistar, with a few cool variants to fit with the biological theme.

My desire is to give this a cool retro pixel-art visual treatment, ala 'Metal Slug' - problem is I'm no pixel artist.  I've contacted Calypson and shared some of my design with him - still waiting on a response.  If anyone else feels up to the task, I'd be happy to talk with them and depending on the situation, there might be some small financial incentive available.

Stef: Thanks!  Yeah, I like the name too...'virulent' just sounds dangerous - I'm definately going to try to convey the essence of that word in the frenetic, twitch style action of this game - where your very existence depends on wiping out this quickly overwhelming horde of virus!

Thanks for the feedback!
"The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth."  - Morpheus

Unplugging one mind at a time...

stef

Hi!

That biological theme is a great idea, it contains a lot of possibilties with many interesting effects.
Could really be a commercial success.
The problem is of course the quality of graphics.
"Metal slug" is really fine artwork and it won't be easy to reach this level.

Greetings
stef