Main Menu

Red Nose Day

Started by kevin, March 02, 2007, 09:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

During the weekend of March 3rd and 4th we are calling on all community members to join the TGC team in making some silly and fun red nose games.

In the United Kingdom each year the BBC and many comedy actors join forces to raise money for children in the UK and Africa. We want to help this cause by running this weekend game making event.

The plan is to do the following:

* Create fun Retro/puzzle/casual/fun games with the focus on using a Red Nose
* All games to be for 3+ year olds
* Less than 10 megs in size (zipped) - ideally as small as possible.
* Coded in any language you like

All games will then be compiled into a big download and we will then charge $10 a copy (or if you want you can donate more). All monies raised will be donated to the charity.

Please post here if you want to be involved, it'll be fun!!!

For info on Red nose day, see:

http://www.rednoseday.com/

Some game ideas:

* Pong (with a red nose)
* Connect 4 (red and yellow noses)
* Red Nose invaders
* Nose command (missile command)
* Nose Golf
* Super Nose World!
* Pac Nose
* Tetnose (tetris with noses)

If you want to do one of these games, post below stating your taking the idea. Also, if you have better ideas let me know and I'll add them to the list. If we do it this way we'll avoid too many games being the same.

Remember, the noses are like big red balls, so they are perfect for bouncing in games.

Rick

(login required)

gvillarreal

Kevin, I'm in.  I am doing 'RND Asteroids!' - with The Big Red Noses from their website as the asteroids.  It's late Saturday and I have almost completely finished - a few more sfx, game logic, and animated logo and it should be good to go.  Here's a screenshot of current progress...

I'll post again with a download link when it is finished.

Cheers!

"The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth."  - Morpheus

Unplugging one mind at a time...

Ian Price

Excellent idea :)

In space, no one can hear you blow your nose! :P
I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

kevin

Nice.

But one can't help thinking we'll see any a few "Drip".. or  "Ahh choowwww" games  :)

gvillarreal

Ok - here is the beta release.  http://www.exnihilostudios.com/development/RNDasteroids.zip

Please play and report any bugs you find!  Feel free to email me directly at gvillarreal@exnihilostudios.com

If I have time, I'd like to add high scores, shields and a flying saucer...but it is quite playable as is.

Have fun!!

Kevin - Please let me know what your submission deadline is so I can possibly get the above enhancements in - Thanks!

"The Matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth."  - Morpheus

Enjoi

gvillarreal

One more for the weekend...

High scores have been added.

Curious who can get the highest score...I've done 30,000+

Same link, updated version... http://www.exnihilostudios.com/development/RNDasteroids.zip

stef

Hi!

Works fine and looks cool!

Greetings
stef

kevin

NOTE:

The Dead line has been pushed back to the 8th

(login required)

Ian Price

I came. I saw. I played some Nintendo.

gvillarreal

Thanks for the update Kevin.

I have been burning the midnight oil polishing and adding a few more features! 

• Big (easy) and Little (hard and mean!) Ufo's are in!
  • Adding 'shields' to balance the gameplay
  • Adding some instruction screens during the 'attract' mode

Should be ready by tonight - 7th.

I will be posting a thread for the completed game under Show Case for all the PB users to enjoy.

Do we need to send to Rick or will you take care of that Kevin?

kevin

given the time crush, prolly better to send it to Rick directly

Enjoi

My highscore is 85075. :)

kevin

(login required)

gvillarreal

Kevin, do you think it would be ok to make 'RND Asteroids' available to the PB forum under the Show Case thread?
I would like PB users to be able to enjoy this game, but at the same time, I don't want to undermine the efforts at TGC and their RND fundraising.  ???

Appreciate your thoughts...  :)