ASCII based Shoot-em-up (port)

Started by kevin, July 05, 2007, 12:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

What is this ?

This code is a quick and dirty PlayBasic port of a rather clever game originally written in DarkBasic Classic by ShadowCentaur - I ported the program due a discussion he was having regarding moving from DBclassic to either PlayBasic or DBpro. ( (login required))

The original DarkBasic source code can be found (login required)

About the port ?

For the port i've simply cut'n'pasted and  renamed the code accordingly. As such the program doesn't really take any advantage of native PB features.  It's a DB programming running in PB.    PB users will no doubt notice this in the sprite implementation. Where the wrapping functions are constantly calling the "SpritesOverlap" function for individual impacts.  Which is ok, but you'd get clearer and not to mention faster code utilizing Sprite classes and Batch based detection found in the SpriteHit() function.  

Performance ?

Regardless of the quick nature of the port, when tTesting it on my (7 year old) 800mhz Duron system it runs about 2.5 time faster than the DB Classic version.   Could probably get it 3 or 4 times faster with a little working..

Rembrandt Q Einstein

Cool.  I've never made a text game, and never played a professional text game.   Too bad it was just the one boss, who was pretty hard to beat and repetative.  But I liked the idea of the game.