Visible Worlds V1.34, Tutorials & Exporter

Started by kevin, May 07, 2003, 03:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Visible World  Update V1.34 + Tutorials + Exporters

First off, The new release versions main features are two fold, it's more accurate (less soft wall vis) and even faster, from %10 to %50.  Although this is situational again, as most of the opt's are for terrain and the memory manager side of things. I might rip that completely and just dump temp data to disc.. Anyway so that's regular Visible Worlds stuff..

Since people seem to not understand the process very well.  I've started working on some tutorials and an automated export tool for 3D Map Editor (it's already working). This tool allows you to import 3D Map Editor worlds and export optimized VWMAP (vis worlds open map format) files for the Vis Worlds compiler. You never have to know anything about how it works, just click load / Hit save.. Then run the Map file through the compiler.

To go with that, I've been doing a little more research and I should be able to build polygon collision meshes from 3D Map Editor, well any DB world actually, and export them to .X without much fuss. In the short term, this will mean anybody with DB DLL support can run sliding collision on this mesh with Sonic's DLL or wait a bit and i'll write a tree driven collision engine in DB to go with it..

This should make producing FPS games in DB Classic a lot easier and faster for all concerned.. So we'll be able to run sliding collision with Vis in standard DB .. It'll also work in Pro too..

Also, I've looking into building a VWmap exporter for CartShop models. But this doesn't seem possible, well in an automated fashion at least, it requires identifying the limb shapes in code. Sounds easy, So i'll have to think about that a bit more, what I'll probably have to do, is make a little alignment tool..  Assuming anybody is still interested.

The 3D Map Editor VWMap exporter will be open source. But once i get these couple of little tools knocked over, It should be a lot more accessible to the passing user and for anybody wondering how to implement VWmap exporter into your own editor(s).

Visible Worlds Home Page

kevin

Visible Worlds (update)

* 3D Map Editor  Exporter Status

This is basically done, well, i was a few weeks back. I'm at point now where i'm waiting for an new update to 3D Map Editor surface. Which I'm told, well would be out by now. So i'm waiting :)

I've worked out DB's Static data structure, well as well as I need too, so I WILL be able to produce collision models from any DB static scene. But most likely 3d Map Editor ones :)

*  Specials

Visible Worlds is currently on special :)

Visible Worlds Home Page

kevin

To DarkBASIC  / DarkBASIC Pro World Editor Authors

To those people writing DarkBASIC / DarkBASIC Pro map/world editors who would like to support the format but don't know how. Well, If you supply me with your world loading code and some example worlds. I can just as easily build exporters for your tools also..

Or, if you build in support yourself and the editor is public. I'll give you a FREE version.

kevin

Visible Worlds  * 3D Map Editor  Exporter Status V0.09
=======================================

ok, I've finally tracked down the loading problems. Oh, How painful a missing array can be...

It seems to load all the 3D Map Editor worlds I have now. So I should be able to get a version out late on today..

kevin

Some pictures and more info of a VW portal running through the exporter..

Finally VW is easy to use  :)

Visible Worlds Home Page

kevin

Visible Worlds - 3D MAp Editor  VWMAP  Exporter  Release (beta)
=========================================

Finally pulled a release version of this together today.  In order to use this package you will need 3D Map Editor 2.31 and Visible Worlds 1.34 (or above).  Both can be downloaded from Underware Design  

This application is a one click conversion package. It's purpose is to import 3D Map Editor worlds and then convert/export these worlds in VWMAP format, for use with Visible Worlds.  Absolutely NO technical no how is required on the users part.  Just load and save.

In case your unsure what visible worlds does, well, it's a special compiler that is able to scan through a 'simple representation' of your world and pre-calculate lists of visible objects.  This information is then used in your DB or DBPRO program to enhance it's performance. Giving you higher frames rate and allowing you to cram your worlds with more detail..

Included in the release is app's source code and some tutorials on how to get the best result out of visible worlds..      

Downloads:

Visible Worlds Home Page

kevin

BUG FIX
========

If you install both packages cleanly. The exporter will spit out a run time error.  You can resolve this yourself by locating the 3DMApeditor folder and copying the folders contained within the GUI_GFX folders (LOGOS and TILES). Back into the main 3DMapEditor folder.  

This should make it run as expected..

kevin

BUG FIX - Updated  V0.12:
===================

Fixed the Exporter/installer problems.   The new version is online now..

Visible Worlds Home Page