2008 PlayBasic (game making) Competition Theme

Started by kevin, February 21, 2008, 09:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

2008 PlayBasic (game making) Competition Theme

I'm looking for suggestions for a theme for the 2008 game making competition, so fire away!

ATLUS

kevin

A beat'em up was one of the idea i've been kicking around.   The only thing that worries me is the amount of art required (as in SFII / Mortal Kombat sprite animations) 

Had a few others (some from last year ))

* Reverse Retro - Create a retro edition of a modern game.   So rather than take an old retro game and make it 3D (how creative), take a modern game and create version of it for the 8/16bit age.

*  Classic Remakes (from arcades/home computers)

*  Remake a Demo (8/16bit scene)

* No Media contest (game must create gfx content with procedural creation)

*  Team AI challenge.   (Team sports)

* Puzzlers

etc etc.

ATLUS

sprite animations its hard!
Cool&easy mesh animation(coordinates) or shapes animation !!!
Here is example of the play with such animations "Soldat"

nrasool

No Media sounds like fun, ASCII graphics all the way :)

Tifu

The Reverse Retro one has me interested :D

But Team AI sounds like it would be interesting challenge...hm

Draco9898

DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

kevin

nrasool,

You could, but I kinda meant something more like this.  Sunny Mountains  So you use code to generate the gfxs/scene. 

Tifu,

Yeah, I like the Reserve Retro Idea  too.  Just dunno how practical it'd be though. 

Making a team AI game such as soccer/basketball/ cricket/baseball etc would be a real challenge I think...  Not too sure how i'd go about that myself.   

Draco9898,

Yeah, a racing theme could be fun. 

ATLUS

Tifu

Yeah, sports would be challenging... for some reason my brain missed the word sports and just read team AI which would be much more open to interpretation and variety. Maybe too muchly so, I dunno!?

Draco9898

DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

kevin

erm, how many years are we giving people ? :)

Calypson

whoa - another competition?!  I love these!!  ...and i've been craving a programming compo for a while now.  its the only time i get stuff done :P

philltec

Reverse Retro sounds good.
Also beat 'em up. It wouldn't necessarily need that much animation. It could be like Barbarian where it was just the same character.