2008 PlayBasic (game making) Competition Theme

Started by kevin, February 21, 2008, 09:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeybot

* Reverse Retro - Create a retro edition of a modern game.   So rather than take an old retro game and make it 3D (how creative), take a modern game and create version of it for the 8/16bit age.

[/quote]
but they were all done then wern't they? nowadays they just rehash the ideas
sorry had to make the point

kevin

There's lot of modernizing old games, but I can't recall seeing the reverse.

hartnell

*cough*bullet hell*cough*

-- *cough*shawn*cough*

Tifu

Those "Ocarina of Time 2D" "Metroid Prime 2D" and such fan projects would be an example of such? Though, i'm not sure i've seen a finished example of any of those... oh wait, someone did make a Smash Brothers: NES :D

kevin

Never seen those.

What about Guitar Hero For the C64 :)

kevin

Suggested Themes So far

* Beat'em up game

* Kart Racer

* RPG

* Gravity

* Physics games

* Bullet hell (shoot'em up)

* Reverse Retro - Create a retro edition of a modern game.   So rather than take an old retro game and make it 3D (how creative), take a modern game and create version of it for the 8/16bit age.

* No Media contest (game must create gfx content with procedural creation)

*  Team AI challenge.   (Team sports eg.  soccer/basketball/ cricket/baseball)

* Puzzlers

ATLUS

Draco9898

a platformer...like 2006's competition, lol
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

kevin

Draco9898

yah we should make 2d fighting games, that'd be crazy fun
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

monkeybot

yeah that would be fun but its just that the GFX are such a hastle

Tifu

Does "Beat em up game" just mean Street Fighter style, or would Double Dragon type gameplay be covered too?