Blocks Away game demo version

Started by AdeN, April 01, 2008, 05:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdeN

I've finally got something to show - its a fully fledged demo version of my soon to be released Blocks Away game. Some screenshots are further below.

The game (which is a 4.5Mb Microsoft Installer file) can be downloaded using the download link from my web page on http://games.hiscorewarrior.com/Blocks-Away.htm

However, I do need some help to finish it off - I need the game text translating into the following languages: French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.

There is not much text and in fact I am attaching the English text file as a reference so you can see how much there is (there will also be some level titles once these have been finalised). All I can offer in return is a free full copy of the game plus you'll get your name in the credits page (you'll see I've already got credits in with question marks for these languages).

Please contact me via email before you translate any text as I wouldn't want anyone to waste their time if someone else is already translating it.

If there are other languages that you feel the text cold be translated into this is something that can only be supported if my bitmap font already supports the charaters that are unique to a particular language (it is, I think, the Windows 1252 codepage font - which is also known as ISO-8859-1 and Latin1 - if you install the demo you'll find the font somewhere like c:\program files\hiscore warrior\blocks away\fonts).

The only other thing I need to do now is to finish off the levels (I've already got more than appear in the demo) that will appear in the final game which I hope to get out in the next two to four weeks.

Please give me some feedback on the game - constructive comments are always appreciated.

Here is some game blurb and screenshots (which is pretty much a copy of what appears on the web site)...

Try and remove all of the blocks from the screen. Sounds easy doesn't it! But you can only remove blocks of the same type if there are two or more next to each other and the more blocks of the same type that you remove the higher they score. With skillful play you can really crank up your score.

There are three great game modes with lots of themed levels (including outer space which has space related blocks, backgrounds and layouts) which also feature blocks with special powers.

Pit your wits against the Standard game and see if you can progress to the higher levels of play. If you don't remove all of the blocks you can still continue to the next level if you reach the target score for that level. Remove all the blocks of one type for a +50 point bonus.

Pyramid level (standard mode) - starting out

Pyramid level (standard mode) - clicked the add blocks and then removed some

Pyramid level (standard mode) - managed to clear the level, it's not always that easy!

Raise your game and play in Countdown mode where you have limited time to make every move. If you take too long to move it's game over - but on the plus side the target score is lower per level to give you a fighting chance!

Classic level (countdown mode) - starting out

Classic level (countdown mode) - made it so far without running out of time

Classic level (countdown mode) - so close and yet so far, at least I reached the target score!

When you're ready try Survival mode which gets fast and furious as you try and stop the blocks building up to the top of the screen.

Short Wall level (survival mode) - as the game progresses it gets harder with more block types being added - eventually you'll just be overwhelmed and those blocks will reach the top of the screen when it'll be game over!

Bomb Target level (survival mode) - this level starts with a bit of a puzzle which you don't have long to solve. As the game progresses it speeds up and you'll soon be clicking the mouse faster than you ever thought possible!

Castle Wall level (survival mode) - have you got what it takes to keep the castle wall razed to the ground?

If you are going to download and try it out many thanks in advance and enjoy the game,
Adrian

Adaz

Very good work!!!

Some constructive comments:
- The game uses ~99% of my CPU and it's very slow on my fast pc. I didn't try it on my slow pc yet...
- The top quarter of the window is vibrating, it's because of some sync problems.
- Please include an Uninstall icon in the start menu group.

Regards,

Ádáz

Hungary

AdeN

Hi, thanks for the comments, always useful to see how it runs on other peoples kit...

> The game uses ~99% of my CPU and it's very slow on my fast pc. I didn't try it on my slow pc yet...
I only get about 50% and that is when I let the Survival mode Castle Wall level build up so it is mostly full of blocks - other levels - such as standard mode Classic level only take around 35% on the first level. I have not got a super fast machine (HP laptop, Core Duo T2400 @ 1.83 GHz, 1Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400, XP SP2)

> The top quarter of the window is vibrating, it's because of some sync problems.
I do not see any problem on my machine with the top quarter of the screen vibrating - does this happen all of the time or just at certain points? When blocks fall I do deliberately "shake the window" for a fraction of a second - is it this you are seeing? You can tell because this can be turned off via the Settings menu or in game by pressing the F2 key

Kevin: Any comments?

AdeN

Another thought - I wonder if this is because I am using MP3 files for all music and sound effects - this may be having a bigger hit on some systems than others.

To tell if this is the reason you can go to the "Settings" page and turn off the music (select None as the track) or use the F5/F6 keys in game to change the music until you get to None.

Then you can also reduce the sound volume to "off" either via the "Settings" page or by using the F3/F4 keys in game to change the volume until you get Off.

Kevin: Do you know how the different sound types that can be used affect the performance - is MP3 the most processor intensive? I am using MP3 sounds in order to keep the download size of the installer to a minimum.

ATLUS

Big C.

Adrian...

here is a german translation...

; Deutsch

[Main]
Demo1=Demo
Demo2=Demo Version
PleaseWait1=Bitte warten
PleaseWait2=Bitte warten... Lade gerade
Copyright=Copyright
Play=Spiel starten
Help=Anleitung
Web=Web
Credits=Credits
Settings=Einstellungen
Quit=Beenden
Back=Zurück

[Settings]
Title=Einstellungen
WindowShake=Fenster Animation                     <--- ok, I've thought about your explanation and would translate it so... See also translation Help -> F2
Sound=Sound
Music=Musik
Volume=Lautstärke
On=An
Off=Aus
Soft=Leise
Medium=Normal
Loud=Laut

[Credits]
Title=Credits
Font=Zeichensatz
Coding=Programmierung
Graphics=Grafiken
Images=Bilder
Translations=Übersetzungen:
Trans1=Englisch
Trans1Who=Adrian Nelson
Trans2=Französisch
Trans2Who=?????
Trans3=Deutsch
Trans3Who=?????
Trans4=Italienisch
Trans4Who=?????
Trans5=Portugiesisch
Trans5Who=?????
Trans6=Spanisch
Trans6Who=?????

[GameSelect]
Title=Spielmodus
Standard=Standard-Modus
Countdown=Countdown-Modus
Survival=Überlebens-Modus

[Play]
Title=Levels
Level=Level
QuitGame=Spiel beenden
AreYouSure=Bist Du sicher?
Yes=Ja
No=Nein
Bomb=Bombe
RowBomb=Zeilen-Bombe
ColumnBomb=Spalten-Bombe
AddBlocks=Blocks hinzufügen
ChangeRow=Zeile wechseln
ChangeColumn=Spalte wechseln
FlipRow=Zeile tauschen
FlipColumn=Spalte tauschen
Indestructible=unzerstörbar
Fixed=Fest
Target=Ziel
Score=Score
Level=Level
TargetReached=Ziel erreicht!
LevelCleared=Level geschafft!
NoMoreMoves=Keine Züge mehr möglich!
NoMoreTime=Die Zeit ist abgelaufen!
NoMoreSpace=Kein freier Platz mehr!
Cleared=Alle Blöcke geschafft!
Progress=Fortschritt
SpeedIncrease=Geschwindigkeit wird erhöht!
BlockIncrease=Anzahl Blöcke wird erhöht!                   <--- changed
Help=F2-Fenster Animation (Schütteleffekt) An/Aus~F3-Lautstärke Sound -~F4-Lautstärke Sound +~F5-Musiktitel -~F6-Musiktitel +~F7-Lautstärke Musik -~F8-Lautstärke MusiK +

[Hiscore]
Title=Hiscore
Name=Name
WellDone=Gut gemacht!
Hiscore=Du hast einen Hiscore erreicht!
OK=OK
Demo=Hiscore kann nicht eingetragen werden.

[System]
Click=Klicken, um fortzufahren
ImageNotExist=Image existiert nicht
ImageTransInvalid=Image Transparenzfarbe ist ungültig
AudioNotExist=Audio existiert nicht
Invalid=ungültig
NotWidth=Breite stimmt nicht mit Block 1 überein
NotHeight=Höhe stimmt nicht mit Block 1 überein
MustBe=Muss sein
Section=Bereich
NotExist=existiert nicht
Incorrect=falsch
IncorrectRows=Gesamtanzahl Zeilen ist ungültig
NotSpecified=Nicht definiert
InvalidCh=ungültiger Charakter
IncSpecified=falsch festgelegt
LTF=Level Text Datei
LLF=Lade Level Datei
LF=Level Datei
FC=Datei nicht lesbar
; Note: the ~ forces the text after to appear on the next line
BAFC=Blocks Away hat festgestellt~das eine oder mehrere Dateien~unlesbar sind
Reinstall=Bitte das Spiel neu installieren

[Help]
Title=Anleitung
Pages=6

; Note: Help text can have underscores in which are treated as spaces as leading spaces are ignored
; #block image filename#
; #block image filename:motif number#

Page1-Line1=Probiere, alle Blöcke zu beseitigen.
Page1-Line2=_#basic1.jpg# #basic2.jpg# #basic3.jpg# #basic4.jpg# #basic5.jpg# #basic6.jpg#
Page1-Line3=Klingt leicht, ist es aber nicht!
Page1-Line4=
Page1-Line5=Du kannst nur Blöcke der
Page1-Line6=gleichen Farbe beseitigen,
Page1-Line7=wenn es zwei oder mehr
Page1-Line8=nebeneinander gibt.

Page2-Line1=Je mehr Blöcke des gleichen
Page2-Line2=Typs Du beseitigst, desto
Page2-Line3=höher ist deine Punktzahl.
Page2-Line4=
Page2-Line5=Standard Modus:
Page2-Line6=Wenn Du nicht alle Blöcke beseitigen
Page2-Line7=kannst, kannst du dennoch in den nächsten
Page2-Line8=Level gelangen, wenn du die Zielpunktzahl
Page2-Line9=erreichst.

Page3-Line1=Beseitige alle Blöcke eines Typs,
Page3-Line2=um einen +50 Bonus zu erhalten.
Page3-Line3=
Page3-Line4=Countdown Modus:
Page3-Line5=Das Gleiche wie Standard Modus aber
Page3-Line6=zusätzlich mit einer zeitlichen
Page3-Line7=Beschränkung, um einen Zug zu machen.
Page3-Line8=
Page3-Line9=Mit jedem weiteren Level, den Du erreichst,
Page3-Line10=wird Deine Zeit Dich zu bewegen, kürzer.

Page4-Line1=Survival Modus:
Page4-Line2=Es beginnt mit Blöcken am unteren Bildschirm-
Page4-Line3=rand. Im Laufe des Spiels erscheinen 
Page4-Line4=weitere Blöcke am unteren Bildschirmrand,
Page4-Line5=die den Rest nach oben schieben.
Page4-Line6=
Page4-Line7=Wenn die Blöcke den oberen Bildschirmrand
Page4-Line8=erreichen, ist das Spiel zu Ende. Beseitige
Page4-Line9=alle Blöcke für einen +50 Bonus.

Page5-Line1=Es gibt einige besondere Blöcke:
Page5-Line2=
Page5-Line3=#basicbomb.jpg# Zerstört nahe gelegene Blöcke
Page5-Line4=#basicbomb.jpg:1# Zerstört Blöcke in einer Zeile
Page5-Line5=#basicbomb.jpg:2# Zerstört Blöcke in einer Spalte
Page5-Line6=#basicextra.jpg# Fügt zufällig Blöcke hinzu
Page5-Line7=#basicfixed.jpg# Fester Block                                         <--- changed

Page6-Line1=#basicindestructible.jpg# Unzerstörbar
Page6-Line2=#basic1.jpg:3# Ändert Blöcke in der Zeile
Page6-Line3=#basic2.jpg:4# Ändert Blöcke in der Spalte
Page6-Line4=#basic3.jpg:5# Tauscht Blöcke in der Zeile
Page6-Line5=#basic4.jpg:6# Tauscht Blöcke in der Spalte
Page6-Line6=
Page6-Line7=Viel Spass beim Spielen & Viel Erfolg!

[Music]
1=Keine
2=Laid Back
3=Relaxing
4=Frantic
5=Oompah
6=Wacky
7=Dance
8=Ballad
9=Funk
10=Latin
11=Atmos
12=Jazz

[DefaultHiscoreNames]
1=Beherrscher
2=Meister
3=Experte
4=Anfänger
5=blutiger Anfänger

I left some words so because they are used also in Germany so or are also known

Big C.

AdeN

Hey BigC - outstanding - many thanks!

I'll get your translation into the next demo version which I am planning on updating at the weekend as I have made a few tweaks in the last few days.

Window Shake is the effect that when blocks fall a long way and they land I "shake" the game window briefly.

Once I have designed the full set of levels there will also be some level titles to translate - but there won't be too many to do.

What is your name so I add your name against the German translation on the credits screen?

Big C.

Adrian,

I've just updating the translation...

QuoteOnce I have designed the full set of levels there will also be some level titles to translate
<--- If I can help, I will do it  ;D

QuoteWhat is your name so I add your name against the German translation on the credits screen?
<-- thx but not really nessessary... Im very impressed from your screens and your work/skillz so if I can support you thats credits enough to me  :)

Big C.

AdeN

That's very kind of you and much appreciated - I'll just put your screen name of "Big C" in the credits it that is alright.

Best regards, Adrian

Big C.

Adrian,

I wish a uninstalling function and the possibility to change the installation Path  ;D

and btw a free copy without limitations... hehehehe

AdeN

Thanks for the screenshot - I'll correct it - I've already produced an updated demo version (v1.0.1) which can be downloaded from the web site (http://games.hiscorewarrior.com/Blocks-Away.htm)which has your German translated text in - I ended up having to re-work a few screens in order so that the text fits (ie Credits, Help and Select Game)

To uninstall you just go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs then highlight Blocks Away and click on the Change / Remove button

You can certainly have a free copy of the full game when it is released - I'll contact you when it is ready.

I'm not sure how to give the option of the installation path - I am uisng the open source WiX (Windows Installer XML) toolset http://wix.sourceforge.net/- this uses an easily editable XML file to describe the installation which then compiles into an MSI file - I have not used it much and so I'll see how to configure it to offer the change of installation path.

Many thanks, Adrian

Big C.

Adrian,

QuoteTo uninstall you just go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs then highlight Blocks Away and click on the Change / Remove button

you are right... I've found it myself... sorry

QuoteYou can certainly have a free copy of the full game when it is released - I'll contact you when it is ready.
thx for the offer, but its your hard work... and I think its a very good work.... I had many fun with your game... so, its not really needfully... What do you think about a tutorial for the community or newbies like me?

AdeN

What sort of tutorial did you have in mind?

reno

Hi AdeN, I can help you for the french translation. Are you working on it ?
More games ? Go to my website :)
http://www.thereeteam.com/

AdeN

Hi Reno - that would be great if you could do a French translation - much appreciated.

I have attached a slightly updated version of the English.txt file.