DTAB FAQ

Started by kevin, April 02, 2008, 01:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

DTAB FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Document Revision: V0.06

What is DTAB ?

Q.  What is DTAB ?

A. DTAB is a Drum TAB editing software (Drum Tab editor) aimed at the fast and easy Creation, Importation and Play Back of standard Drum Tab.

Q.  Where can I download  DTAB ?

A. From the  DTAB home page on  here http://www.Dtab.UnderwareDesign.com

Tab Importing

Q. How do I import Drum Tabs into DTAB ?

A. For information about importing drum tabs you read the online document here How To Import DRUM TAB Into DTAB  - Which is also built into the Dtab documentation.  We recommend reading the built in version for the most up-to-date features though.  

Rendering

Q. Can I convert Dtab Drum Tabs Into Sheet Music ?

A. Yes,  we're developing a sister product that does exactly this.  The product is called www.DtabPrinter.com,  and is currently free! -  The program simply loads a Dtab file and renders it out as proportional sheet music.  The current edition is very early though, but you're welcome to download and have a mess with it.

Q. Will DTAB ever support sheet music internally ?

A.  This was something of an early objective going back as old as Dtab really (1999).   We're even given this a few attempts but the results really weren't satisfactory at that time.   However, we believe that with DtabPrinter the need to 'edit' in graphical sheet music notation has subsided.        

Operating Systems

Q.  What Operating Systems is DTAB available for ?

A.  DTAB is built for use with all Windows Operating Systems.   The software is designed for maximize compatibility across Windows versions,and can be used on  Windows 98 / Win ME / Windows XP / Vista  & Win7.  

Q.  Do you have a plans for a Mac or Linux port of DTAB ?

A.  Not at this time.

MIDI

Q. How I enable MIDI playback ?

A. DTAB uses the Microsoft multimedia interface for playback. When you install the package it will try to use the default MIDI output device. Whatever that is.

Q. When I play a track I can't hear anything ?

A.  If  this occurs it's generally either two things.  The selected MIDI device is incorrect or the device settings are.    To change devices from DTAB go to  MIDI / DEVICE and select a new device name.  Press the Test sound button to validate this device can output correctly.    

If the device is selected correctly and there's no sound then the problem lies elsewhere.  The most common cause is that MIDI device is turned down or even off in the windows sound mixer.   You can adjust these through the audio controls located in the windows control panel.      

The control panel is different in virtually every edition of Windows,  but the audio properties can generally be found by accessing the Control Panel and the "Sound and Audio Devices" label.     On the Windows XP edition of this dialog there's an "Audio" Tab.   Under this tab has MIDI device driver that your computer is using as well as the volume settings.  Try checking the volume for the midi is up and the device is on.  Commonly it's not, if that not working try changing the device.   The available devices will differ between different sound hardware.   Consult the hardware vendor for latest audio drivers.

Note:  Strangely enough, the volume control in Windows Media Player can alter sound mixer MIDI volume in windows in some situations.    So if playback is soft, try opening Media Player and bumping the volume up there.  

Upgrading

Q. Where can I download the latest Dtab upgrade ?

A. Head over to www.Dtab.underwaredesign.com and download the latest installer (Version 1.03b at the time of writing).    The link is under the Download heading in the top  left of the page.

Q. How do I Upgrade my old Dtab V.099 (or lower) to  Dtab V1.03 (or higher) ?

A.    Normally, we recommend installing any new version over any existing version.  To do this, simply run the  DtabSetup.exe file and follow the
prompts.  Providing you choose the same install location (as the one you have currently installed) the installer will replace the older version with the newer one.  

However, if you're worried about any of your existing work being lost by installing, then we recommended that you select a new location to the install
the new version.

You can do this, on the 3rd page of the install process. The one titled SELECT DESTINATION LOCATION.   Here the installer will ask  you for the where to put the program, it defaults  to  C:\Program Files\Dtab

However, we recommend choosing a new folder name.  Personally, I normally  add the Version Number of the program when I do such things.  So that
 I can easily identify the version of the program from just the folder name.

So under Select Destination Location, you could tell it     C:\Program Files\DtabV101b

If the folder doesn't exist (and it shouldn't) as we want to be absolutely sure where not going to install the program over something else.

Next the installer will ask for the START MENU FOLDER,  probably a good Idea to rename these accordingly.  it defaults to  uwdesign\Dtab

so uwdesign\DtabV101b ,   perhaps just   DtabV101b  (this is location where you can find Dtab under the Start/MyPrograms menus) .

Next it'll ask if you want a desk top short cut.  This a bit of a problem,  if you select that you  want a desk top icon and the previous DTAB shortcut is still present,  The installer will overwrite the old one with the new one.    We probably don't want
that  at this point so we suggest renaming the existing DTAB short cut BEFORE proceeding.

This should ensure that installer doesn't replace the shortcut to the old version with the short cut to the new version.  At the end you should have two short cuts,to the two separate editions.

After  you click Next the installer will copy all the files to our chosen folders.    At the end of all this,  what you should have now is two versions of the DTAB installed simultaneously.

Q. I've already registered, so why does the new version default to DEMO mode after upgrading from V0.99 to V1.03 (or higher) ?

A.  If you upgraded from an old version to new version, such as Dtab V1.03,  the new version will indeed default to DEMO mode.   This occurs because how and where the programs stores it's information had to be changed,  not by choice mind you, it was due to how several changes in newer editions of Windows (Vista & Win7).  

So this means registered users will have to enter their personal details / key information again.  

Q. How do I Remove DTAB ?

A.  You can remove the program like any other Windows application.   Via using the Add & Delete programs option found in the Windows Control Panel.

Ordering & Product Delivery

Q. When I Order DTAB, what will I receive ?

A. You receive a personalized KEY to unlock the DEMO edition of the software.  We don't send you the software, you should already have the DTAB installed.  It'll just be running in DEMO mode.  Registration is required to unlock it.  

Q. Do I have to order a new key each time DTAB is updated ?

A. No, you order once. Your key is valid for future updates of DTAB V1.xx.    

Q. How are Keys delivered ?

A. Keys are delivered electronically (via email) to the email address you nominated  during the ordering process.  They can not be sent anywhere else without prior authentication.  

Q. I've ordered and not received my key ?

A. Keys are created and sent manually (for the most part).    However, sometimes due situations outside of our control, customers may not receive their DTAB KEY within  the 24 hour waiting period.

The most common reason is that our email has been trapped by the customers SPAM filter.  Which may have automatically moved our email into a spam/trash folder.  This can happen as the Key is a binary file attachment, which some email software / Anti Virus will automatically trash.      So if you don't receive you key in a timely fashion, check your spam folder!.

Another common one (believe it or not), occurs when customers orders using say their work or family email address by mistake, rather than their personal address.   So they end up checking the wrong email account.

Q. I've received my registration email but can't open the attached key file ?

A. This could occur due to some 3rd party software installations on the customers computer.   What happens is the installed email client / anti virus, or some spam screening software on the customers computer, decides the Key file (which is a binary blob of data, not text) is  executable code and therefore contains some potentially undesirable signature.  It isn't !    So even though this would a false positive, the 3rd party software won't let the customer save the attachment to their computer.   

If for some reason this occurs to you, the solution can be as simple as using a different email client / different computer, adding an exception to the your anti virus software for the key file, or requesting an alternative delivery for the key.   Obviously, when it comes to 3rd party software and given the virtually unlimited number of software/systems combination that exist, it's impossible for us to provide you with step by step instructions on the usage of 3rd party software.