News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

Heroes Quest - FAQ

Started by kevin, May 21, 2008, 09:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Heroes Quest - FAQ

Document Revision V0.05 - Last Updated  23rd, Sep ,2008

http://HeroesQuestCompetition.UnderwareDesign.com

General Questions

Q. Where should I post (Work In Progress) information about my game ?

A. Here in the heroes quest forum.  

Theme / Objective Clarifications

Q. Does the Hero / Heroine character have to be a human ?

A. Nope.   The main character can be anything, providing you can dream up an interesting storyline for the character/quest. Therefore the character could be animal, mineral or vegetable.  So surprise us.

Q. Can I have more than one Hero ?

A. Yes.   If you can dream up a scenario that allows for there to be more than one hero character, then go for it.

Q. Do I need a story line ?

A. Preferably Yes.  However the story line can be as elaborate or simple as you like.  It's just there to give the players / judges a sense of who the hero is and why they've set off upon this quest.  

Submission Guideline Clarifications

Q. Do I Have To Display the Sponsor logos ?

A. YES, this is mandatory.   Failure to comply means instant disqualification!

Q. Can teams enter, or is this competition limited to individuals ?

A. YES teams are more than welcome to enter.

Q. Can I use/base my submission upon source code/examples from www.UnderwareDesign.com ?

A. YES, providing the author(s) get credited.

Judging Clarifications

Q. Will each judge be awarding Bonus Points ?

A. No.  The Bonus Point categories are only awarded by Underware Design.    These are mostly optional,  except for the 'performance' category.  Which is where we'll be rating how the game performs across two very different machines.

Q. For the Bonus Section / Performance category -  I'm wondering what machines will Underware Design be evaluating the performance on ?  

A.  This category is all about promoting performance awareness.    As game developers,  it's wise to try and make your games as accessible to the public as possible.   To do this, means letting the player 'fine tune' your game to suit their system.  Allowing players with systems bellow your recommended minimum requirements still experience playing your game.  All be it, in a reduced capacity.  

Therefore in the performance/scalability category, we'll be testing all games upon two very different systems.  On each system we'll be awarding games a score out of  5.    5 being excellent performance, 0 being unplayable.    So if a game performs excellent on both systems, you'll get a total bonus of 10 in this category.    

The two systems represent the vast cross section of the machines your games may well have to run on.  Ranging from very low to a Mid->Hi end machines.  

System A  (Low End System)    

CPU: Duron 800mhz
   MEM: 384 meg
   VIDEO: Geforce 2 MX 400

System B  (Mid/Hi End System)    

CPU: Amd64 3000
   MEM:  512meg
   VIDEO: Geforce 6600 gt (256meg)

Sponsors

This competition is proudly sponsored by,

www.ColdSteelEngine.com

thaaks

Will Underware Design provide a sponsor logo image for different resolutions or do we have to create one on our own?

Green7

hmm, i made my own screen... scaled them sligtly. nothing great, not much bling-bling. but i think it fits the needs. take what you need.

kevin

thaaks

Thanks, Green7, a bit of snip and snap and shrink to fit and it'll help me a lot  ;)

thaaks

In the submission thread it says
QuoteRemember, the competition closes  12 Midnight on  1st, Oct, 2008.

Do you mean 12 midnight at the end of 1st October or do you think midnight at the start of 1st October (being the end of 30th September)?

Do we have the 1st October to work on our entry or not? I'm just trying to get the date and time clear, I'm already puzzled enough that Australia is 9 hours ahead of Germany  ::)

Cheers,
Tommy

kevin

An entry must be recieved by the end of (11:59PM)  the 1st,oct,2008.  (Melbourne Time)

Any entry that is recived after this time (i.e on the 2nd,oct my time) will either be disqualified (if it's way too late) or have points deduced.  The link above tells you what our local time is. So when in doubt, use it!