WIP threads or ideas/ramblings for HeroesQuest competition?

Started by thaaks, June 03, 2008, 07:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thaaks

Kevin, where should we raise threads about our WIPs or general questions for the HeroesQuest competition?

I would love to see
- who's joining,
- what ideas people have (if they want to tell),
- a place to ask game design or coding related questions (which map format [old PBMapper, Mappy, new PBMapper], tiles or shapes),
- share code fragments (input or keyboard mapping routines)
and so on.

Should we use the base HeroesQuest forum or use this one?

Tommy

kevin

thaaks

You mean this board?

UnderwareDesign > General > Competitions > HeroesQuest (Moderator: kevin) > WIP threads or ideas/ramblings for HeroesQuest competition?

Muhahahaha  ;)

kevin

I did think it was a little too obvious for words.. but there ya go :)

BlinkOk

hey guys. i did some graphics work for a game a while ago (samples below).
If anyone is interested i'd be glad to provide the backgrounds and animation sheets for you to use.
it was a static game so there are NO tiles and i don't think i'd be interested in making any.
the platforms are tiled so you can make any platform arrangement you wanted.
you can take what you want too. if you just want the characters then that's ok.
i think for best results you are gonna need an anti-aliased render
anyway if you're interested you can send me a pm.

Hero animations
Animated level mockup

thaaks

Whoa!

Those graphics look great! It doesn't match the theme idea I had in mind but that stuff is excellent!
In my next life I need to improve my drawing abilities  ;D

Is this pixeled stuff or vector art?

I'm definitely interested in your graphics - are they still available or is anyone already claiming them?

Cheers,
Tommy

BlinkOk

they are vector. rendered out to bitmap. i'll put a package together on monday. do you want 1bit transparency (not so purdy) or anti-aliased (purdy)?

thaaks

If purdy means pretty (that's what dict.leo.org says) then purdy  ;D

Thanks,
Tommy

Draco9898

Uh oh this competition looks like it might be really fun...I might have to try to sort my frame rate problems and make a game. It's calling me.
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

thaaks

Draco9898

I'm still having frame rate problems...for no reason at all in fullscreen w/ a camera/scenebuffer. The only code running is literally FPS text + the usual captureTOscene/camera stuff and I get like 58 fps (no setfps,vsync on). And other people are getting like...1000+...
DualCore Intel Core 2 processor @ 2.3 ghz, Geforce 8600 GT (latest forceware drivers), 2 gigs of ram, WIN XP home edition sp2, FireFox 2.

"You'll no doubt be horrified to discover that PlayBasic is a Programming Language." -Kevin

thaaks

I think if Vsync is on your frame rate is bound to the refresh rate of your graphics card/monitor which is 60 frames for a TFT for example.
Give it a try with Vsync switched OFF.

Cheers,
Tommy

Draco9898

no, the only code is this:

OPENSCREEN 640,480,32,2
createcamera 1
Do
CAPTURETOSCENE: CLSSCENE
text 10,10,FPS()
drawcamera 1
SYNC
LOOP

right now I'm getting a paltry 300 fps, if I do much on the screen it becomes unacceptable and goes under 60.

kevin

Quoteif I do much

Such as ? 

Have you actually timed the render.

OpenScreen 640,480,32,2

Do

inc frames

t=timer()
cls 0
t1#=t1#+(timer()-t)

t=timer()
text 10,10,FPS()