WIP: Green7's Project (Never Dawn) -> the level editor

Started by Green7, June 19, 2008, 04:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green7

2008-06-19

Ok, i decided to enter this compo, i got some spare time and a creative boost (hope it lasts for a while)

At the moment i am far from a sorta story or plot got some ideas but nothing is decided atm, as i concentrate on the tools. I started to build a tech demo for a plattformer to see if i even got the skills for this compo and noticed that- without a level editor i will go nowhere.
so i started with a simple level editor that fits my needs. im not proceeding very fast as my spare time is not that big and for this is my first editor ever made. but there is some time left 'till deathline, so, why not trying? ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008-06-28

Im happy to get some more time for this, thx kevin... i made some progress today. At last i got a kinda logo and a menu for the editor. saving and loading works fine now, it is an unusual way to do this, im writing all the data to a single bitmap, so i got it visually, in a tumbnail like, small snippet. for loading i read the colours of the mini-map snippet. i guess it's inefficient, but that does not change my mind. for me as a visual oriented person it is a very understandable way, more than a bunch of numbers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008-07-06

Made some progress this weekend. The Dialogues and save/ load functions are finished now, next big chunk are some basic tilesets and the implementing of drawing dfferent layers. scrolling the map is also something new to me, but its maybe easyer than expected. Background Images would be nice too, at last i should change the background gradient for each theme. I hope to finish the editor before holydays. three weeks without comp... a hard thing to overcome... glad i got me old and trusty chopper, so i can compensate coding fun with riding fun... ;)

2008-07-11

scrolling done, not used camera... maybe a bad solution, but hey, it works... got my own head in such things.
2008-08-22

drawing different layers done
2008-09-7

added small preview map for loading maps
2008-09-30

all done

Work done:
-some gui
-some more gui  ;)
-some test tiles
-tile selection from menu
-paint and overpaint tiles in map (LMB)
-delete tiles in map (RMB)
-select different tile categories
-snap tiles to grid
-toggle grid lines on and off
-save and load maps
-logo design
-browse maps
-load different environements / tilesets
-map setup dialogue
-scroll around in map in map editor mode(MMB)
-drawing different layers
-small preview map
-full tilesets

Work to be done:
-

Dead Ideas
-background images

screens:

kevin

Nice, looks like you're off to good start!

Green7

thx, im still a noob to this, or at last i feel like. i made some progress today, saving works now almost the way i'd like.

Green7

Saving and loading works now in code, i got to set up a gui and stuff for browsing maps now.

Tifu

Looks good :)
Love a game with a good level editor.

reno

More games ? Go to my website :)
http://www.thereeteam.com/

Green7

QuoteLooks good :)
Love a game with a good level editor.

Thx. if its good or not is a thing to be decided. atm its for my own needs, but i had in mind to release it with the game, or without the game as a standalone thing if i get stuck before the release date. it is really a simple little thing, not very flexible for other stuff, designed only for the game it belongs to.

QuoteThat's looking good !

thx, that's the kind of motivation i need! :)

BTW: Updates on thread 1, take a look... ;)

Andreas

The best thing about making space shooters is that space, is easy to draw.

kevin

Yes,  that does look really nice!

Green7

QuoteVery nice presentation.
QuoteYes,  that does look really nice!

thx. graphics is my better part, programming is somewhat more a tinkering job, but im learning a new thing every day... so at last i try to make it look halfway decent, if it fits the limits of my editor. the levels will always look like tile levels, but maybe a decent background and some deco stuff will rescue it. and somehow i like those retro looking tile levels.;)
Btw. as i said about me and programming... noticed some more probs i never thoght about... that is a hard thing to beat, but i try (if i do not, i will never know...) :)

kevin

Well,  Neither the art or the programming seem to be problem thus far.  Can't see it being a big drama in the future..

Green7

QuoteWell,  Neither the art or the programming seem to be problem thus far.  Can't see it being a big drama in the future..

We will see...  ;) and guess who's gonna help me in programming questions!  :)

kevin

thaaks

Quote from: Green7 on June 30, 2008, 05:18:33 PM
We will see...  ;) and guess who's gonna help me in programming questions!  :)

The forum community? Or do you pay for private support? Where can I order PlayBasic Platinum edition?  ;D

BTW: Your stuff looks great so far!

Andreas

QuoteThe forum community? Or do you pay for private support?
jealous? ;D

On this board there is only a handfull of true ninja coders. There arts are rare and mostly hidden from view.
In times of peril one can summon these ancient craftsmen
and gain the clairvoyance and vigor to overthrow ones own demons.

Then, tea ceremony.

andreas
The best thing about making space shooters is that space, is easy to draw.