News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

Slayer93's Entry - Untitled

Started by slayer93, August 01, 2008, 11:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slayer93

I've been working on an Editor for my Entry so far and got it to the point where it looks somewhat nice for a screenshot. I got most things done but unfortunately for me I did most of the mapping the hard way, I coded my own instead of using the map commands :P. Though I'm not going to go back and change it since it works pretty well.

I only have a few more things to actually finish for my editor so that I can actually make complete levels for my game (I still have to make the game though).
I'm also not sure what the actual game is going to be yet, so hopefully I can finish it all in time.

Edit:

I added in some more tiles to and made a few platforms so I could imagine what it could look like.

Here is a little list of what I have done and most likely what needs to be done before I am done. There are also a few little bugs that I may or may not fix depending on time since they don't really bug me(no pun intended).

Finished:
Creating Maps of any Size
Loading/Saving Maps
Loading Tiles
Placing/Deleteing Tiles
Multiple Layers
Put Tiles on Different Layers
Turning Off/On Layers

To-Do:
Placing Entities
Moving Around Map

List of Known Bugs
Can't create a map smaller than 24x24 tiles
No cancel button when loading/saving files and creating new maps

kevin

Howdy Slayer,  looks like you're away to a flying start...   

slayer93

Thanks

Well I got a lot more done in the Editor, I can create large maps and move around them(largest I tried so far was 1000x1000 but I doubt I need anything bigger than half of that, its always nice to know that you can though). I also updated my save/load functions to support the updates. Although its impossible to show anything in another screenshot since it will look the same but once I add in entities today (or tomorrow) I might be able to show more. Then I can finally work on the actual game. :)

slayer93

Well I made some more progress(some worth showing). No entities yet though because after thinking about it I will probably need a lot more which most likely includes a simple scripting engine (luckily I have one in DBpro code and have to convert it to PB code so it shouldn't be to hard :-\). But the progress I made is a lot more tiles and a scrolling bar as it won't fit in the tiny box I tried to fit it in. As of right now I am trying to create some animated character sprites, vector art style (infact my new avatar is the top half of him, he looks better full sized though ;D) but I still don't think I am that good at it yet. Till my next update :P

slayer93

I was working on this slowly until I reminded myself that the deadline was basically a month from now. I worked on this pretty much all day, nothing on the editor but the actual game. I was able to easily convert my script system from DBP to PB with minor changes and it works perfectly except for a few things that aren't important. I also got the map up and running in game but no collision or player for that matter. I plan to add that tomorrow or sometime next week hopefully.

I made a hud but the style didn't fit (I used some references of wood to create it) so I may change it to something simpler tomorrow. Maybe a colorful box?

On the looks of things though I may be able to only get a level or two in and most likely...easy, since it doesn't seem I can make it that feature rich but who knows till we get there.

Here is a screeny but it doesn't show a lot but it is a small level, bigger than the screen though, I also can move the camera via script but impossible to show without playing :P.

Last Note, Good Luck to everyone else! ;)

Green7

QuoteLast Note, Good Luck to everyone else!  ;)

Wish you too. Looks good, but as you say, the hud looks pretty, but does not fit the style...
You mentioned the problems of feature richness vs the lack of time... got the same problems here...  :) i guess i have to cut some parts of my project, mainly enemies, and make sorta puzzler out of it...  ;D

slayer93

Decided to just use two icons for the hud and no actual background for the hud which I think looks better. I also got basic map collision in although it doesn't do well with curves so not sure what to do there right now. If anyone has any ideas I'm happy to hear them because I have none right now :P.

Here is a little screenshot, the circle is a temporary player since I can't create sprite sheets (I lack the skill to do it and may just render a 3d model to a sprite sheet which may not fit in at all but what can you do).

Green7

Quote...may just render a 3d model to a sprite sheet which may not fit in at all but what can you do.

look, i would have done the same, but i stumbled over something great and free, maybe its of some use for you.

slayer93

Wow thanks that's awesome. Probably will use it. :)

slayer93

I got level collision in using vector shapes which actually worked quite nicely but makes it a bit harder to finish creating levels, no big deal though. I also got animation in with a basic gravity code.

Here is a new screenshot. I really do hope I'll be able to get a game finished in time though. :)

slayer93

Just created a simple main menu, nothing much.

slayer93

After working a whole lot this weekend I was able to finish the movement or the player, create some basic ai(still need to finish it, can only move back and forth), and recreated the player sprite. I can also strike the enemies which doesn't do a whole lot right now. Unfortunately the fps is really low too right now, most likely because of my script system which has to parse through about 100 lines of script code in real time, so far, and the game is to reliant on the script system to take it out now so thats a real bummer. Everything is pretty much real basic implementation too(movement, attacking, ai) because the script system is also real hard to work with so now I'm actually wondering why I put it in, instead of hardcoding everything. Not sure if I should even enter it now because its so bad but it is playable (I only have one level in there too so I guess its not even a full game either xD)

Anyway enough of my ranting, here are some new screenshots of what it looks like now.

thaaks

Send it in at whatever state it is!
You don't know how well the others are doing.
And if it doesn't make first place you could still become second or third which would still be cool, right?  ;)

Don't give up now, we're almost there  :D

Cheers,
Tommy

slayer93

Lol yeah, really all I want to get right now is Playbasic and remake this game later on to be better and faster, I also won't have a time limit but maybe it would have been better if I didn't rush everything into a few weekends :P.

Good Luck to everyone else too :)

slayer93

Well I tried to squeeze out some extra time on the today(never have time on weekdays :-\) and put the final touches on the game so it looks like a game. So good news is that I sent it, bad news is that their is only one level that goes almost painfully slow. But if I can get PlayBasic then v2 will be coming :D.