News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

WIP: Green7's Project (Never Dawn) -> the game

Started by Green7, September 04, 2008, 04:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green7

QuoteI would certainly understand any sponsors wanting to withdraw support.

Yes, somehow me too, as it is a kinda "joke" with only three entries. but there are at last three of them. i think it did not have the effect of advertising it should have, thats sure sad for the sponsors, and a shame for the the compo, as it had a really "simple" theme, where everyone willing to try it could have entered something "good", depending on the theme. for me it was my first game i wrote in PlayBasic, so, i think everyone could have done it, at last everyone who has a tiny  little bit of experience and a lot of will to learn continuously.
And at last i think the vouchers are really great! And for those thinking different in this case: then just enter for the cause of a compo! It's at last nothing bad, or are them all that 1337, that they are still waiting for something "bigger"?
Or do you feel yourself not ready or experienced enough for a compo? Listen, a compo is the best way to learn a lot of stuff in a short time, cause you got a deadline to keep. That way you are forced to learn, if you need to do stuf of which you do not know a wet fart about. Else you will only pass time by dreaming of what you could do or like to do, or other nonsense. if you got a idea, warm up your keyboard and code! And if you get stuck, warm up your brain and think! And if you get stuck again, RTFM, or search the forum or ask someone, those guys don't bite!
Hell, I'm kinda chatterbox, but take it as a serious statement. you got a real powerfull tool offered here, beat some games out of it! ;D

slayer93

QuoteYes, somehow me too, as it is a kinda "joke" with only three entries. but there are at last three of them.

Yeah, especially when one of them (mine) isn't actually a complete game which makes me embarrassed that it would actually win a prize.

Green7

Hmm, that was no offence to you, at last dit you try to make something. And i think its somehow he olympic idea that counts here right?
or as i like to say: if you don't even try, you will never know... ;D

thaaks

Quote from: slayer93 on October 03, 2008, 02:00:32 PM
Yeah, especially when one of them (mine) isn't actually a complete game which makes me embarrassed that it would actually win a prize.
I don't consider my game completed neither. So much stuff in my head that didn't make it into the game (intro explaining the story, more animations, eye candy, more game elements like scrambling floor, the shooting canon that's inside Blink's graphics, power ups or health ups and so on).

And I just wanted to agree with you, Green7 and Slayer93 and Kevin, it's a pity that there were only three entries. I expected some more  :(
I can understand Kevin not wanting to do another competition. Such a huge effort (and money and organisation) with so little outcome...

On the other hand I personally learned a lot. And the competition gave me a good reason to focus on a game and get it done (almost). Which is always good.

And it's at least three more games for the show case and (as they are including the source code) to learn from for other coders.

On with the next game (of course after enhancing "Who stole Waldo?")  ;D

kevin

QuoteYes, somehow me too, as it is a kinda "joke" with only three entries. but there are at last three of them. i think it did not have the effect of advertising it should have, that's sure sad for the sponsors, and a shame for the the compo, as it had a really "simple" theme,

Statistically, this competition has received far more exposure than any previous competition.   While we're always hopeful to introduce new people to PB through competitions such as HR,  they're more  to give existing users (demo/registers) some incentive to produce something.   While even a1/2 finished game is something, not great for PB promotion.   So a competition is not an ideal promotional vehicle for us.   There's simply too many variables.   

This year has been plagued with an over saturation of Game programming competitions all occurring at or around the same time.  For example, there were 3 running on TGC in unison.  Not ideal !  -  They're lots of hurdles in the way of users also,  one of the biggest and a pattern I notice uniformly across many game programming compos, is the reliance upon users creating their own Intellectual property is a serve stumbling block.   While anybody should be able to throw a platform game of some type together,  coming up with themed concept (plot, characters, environments)  isn't something that many can easily embrace.    Remakes on the other hand, don't have this problem.   The idea exists and you just copy it.   Simple.

slayer93

I think another show stopper, at least for me, is creating my own media. I'm not the best artist, especially making those sprite sheets, it was a real pain trying to make good looking graphics for my game and spent half the competition making those graphics...and the editor. Then I realized I had a month to throw together a game then probably tried to make complex for my own good and it sort of backfired.

This explains what I did well... :P

QuoteSo a simple but complete game, is going to be more enjoyable and better received than an elaborate half finished mess.
-from the Heroes Quest compo page

Green7

news from me again: im trying to set up a small fileserver for up- and downloading additional Never Dawn maps, so you can share your creations. maybe i'll do a little compo on mapping... ;D i'll post again if its up and running, got some tasks open. tuesday i think.
cu then, folks!

kevin

QuoteI think another show stopper, at least for me, is creating my own media. I'm not the best artist, especially making those sprite sheets, it was a real pain trying to make good looking graphics for my game and spent half the competition making those graphics...and the editor.

Too true, artwork is always a stumbling block.  Not being able to create at least some of the art/designs yourself can slow the process down dramatically.  However art isn't the be all and end all of an entry.  Often (as you mentioned) the scope of contestants projects needs to be reigned in.  Routinely people put forward these huge concepts, without really budgeting their time or resources. 

monkeybot

Green7_NeverDawn_V001c
seems to crash when i press a left or right cursor.
shame i quite fancied a look....
just to put my bit into the competition debate.......I have been avidly following posts on the board(as well as everything else) and would have loved to have an entry,due to work and life getting in the way and using all of my programming time it has not been possible at this time.
I am sure there are loads of others in the same situation as me.
I Really enjoy using Playbasic and i think Kevin is doing a bang-up job.

jolly good show.

Green7

Quoteseems to crash when i press a left or right cursor.

where? at the start? in the middle? menu? editor? is it a logical action, where you meant to push left or right at that point?
thx for answering! ;)
if it does not work, try to dl a copy from http://turtle.freezoka.com/.

erm, where do you got that version "c" from? ???

kevin

"C" is because the archive has been updated again.

monkeybot

Green 7-it is when the game has started,the game is running including the projectiles  but as soon as i press  a cursor it crashes.

Green7

hmm... did you try the other download source?
does it matter what cursor you press? does up and down crash it too? what if you jump (space)?
what machine do you run it on?

has anyone else the same problem?