Main Menu

popit

Started by micky4fun, February 13, 2010, 05:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

Hi all

well as some of you know by reading some of my other posts , i have been a bit delayed and side tracked with one thing or another ,

but i thought ile try some kinda puzzle game , well i use the term puzzle loosely , this is going to be follow the sequence type game , something you might find in one of the games in brain training on the nintendo ds or iphone ,
this is going to be a touch screen game , but will proberly work with a mouse as well , well the very small demo will at the moment
i would just like to do a touch screen game as there is going to be so many touch tablets released this year , my monitor has not got a fantastic touch responce but ok'ish , but i think the tablets will be much better

so heres a quick demo , in its very very early stages , just one note to kevin PlayBasic bombs out on my 120 htz monitor in full screen but ok in window mode
though i doubt there will be many users using 120 htz monitors , i can set the monitor back to 60htz and its ok

mick :)

kevin

Quotejust one note to kevin PlayBasic bombs out on my 120 htz monitor

erm ??

monkeybot

how is the 3d tv working out, mick?

micky4fun

Hi ,

im running the game full screen , with screenvsync on or off playbasic does not like the 120 htz setting in display settings , but runs fine in window mode , also fine when changing diplay settings to 60htz , looking further into it i think that when at 120htz it splits the signal into 2 , as the monitor uses a special cable

hi monkeybot ,

yep its very impressive at the moment , maybe jut a craze for now but great fun
i not really into games now , years ago i used to by hundreds of them , yep that many ,
but i do own a few here and there now ,
the ones i had that are compatable with the nvidia 3dtv really are a differant game now played in 3d

the 3d effect seem more behind the screen than infront , but it really gives a deep depth to the game , with some things here and there popping out of the screen

kevin

You haven't defined what bombs out actually means ?   If you try and set a full screen display mode that doesn't exist,  it will die...  Which is why we have ScreenModeExist function for example. 

The screen,  In terms of PB's full screen functionality, this is a direct wrapper of  DirectX.    So when you open a  screen mode, PB passes this to the DX function, which in turn calls the video cards driver.      This either succeeds or fails.  It's entirely possible for a false positive to be returned from the driver.  Meaning that the driver returns a mode is usable, when in fact it isn't.   In that case there's nothing much i can do about it.  Other than screen out this particular situation and possibly reject it.

Vsync only concerns the beam position when the video cards flips displays,  backbuffer with frontfront.. etc   It doesn't have anything to do with the creation of the display surface.  The same goes for windowed modes.   Which still use DX underneath, the screen is just a DX surface copied to the window.

micky4fun

Hi Kevin

yep the error i get is "playbasic.exe has stop working" in a windows dialog box , thats setting my monitor at 120 htz , but as said before at 60htz then no now problem running this program full screen at 1024x768 , anyway im not really worried about it , just thought i would mension it.

been spring cleaning here over the last few days , had so much stuff to get rid of , i could not move here and other half was moaning , so had to do something
ok now back to this game , its going to be just a follow the numbers game against a timer , with some bonuses and distractions along the way , this quick demo give you an idea of an easy level ,
just folling the numbers in order , ie 1 then 2 and so on to 10 , thats it , well did say early stages and a touchscreen game as well , not to sure if grid is to big or to many boxes ,
but will sort that out as i go , will be using a lot of gfx's from my clown n balloons game as they will come in handy for the moment.

for non touchscreen users , use mouse and left mousebutton ,
bonuses , distractions , level up and animations , timer and sounds to follow