News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

air-born

Started by micky4fun, December 14, 2008, 05:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

Just mucking around with a few things before i start a new game , was trying a shoot em up
and this came along , so i will take it a bit further and post it up soon
not ment to be the game i wanted to do , but its kinda born now so will carry on for a bit

one thing i must do is learn the sprite sheet animation bit , i cant seem to sus it at the moment
but it will click i hope

mick :)

download here
aurborune (login required)

Updated Source Code (23rd,Sep,2013)

kevin

wow looking pretty spiffy already.. so this game number 4 now ?  

Quoteone thing i must do is learn the sprite sheet animation bit , i cant seem to sus it at the moment
but it will click i hope

There's a ga-zillion ways of doing this.. but this is one place to start Frame Sheet Animations (login required)

TinyFrogWare

Nice looking start there Mick. When I saw the thread title it reminded me of a game I played way back in the 80's on my Tandy 1000EX called Airborne Ranger by Microprose. It was great, you had different missions to choose from, then you would fly over the enemy territory dropping your supplies along the way and then the player parachuting into enemy territory themselves. Then you had to make your way to the mission goal, replenishing your supplies via the air drops on the way.

Now that I've been inspired, I'm going to redo it as my first project with PB. Should be fun.  :)

Thanks,

Tony.

Juha Kämäräinen

Good to see some updates here.
About airborne ranger i used to play that on my C64. Great game. Thought it was one character running around not classic scrolling shootemup with planes.

Check out my comic - Bujercon 1

TinyFrogWare

Yeah, Airborne Ranger was awesome at the time. I think I can do an up to date version of it, while keeping the unique gameplay of it. The enemy AI was actually pretty good and as you said it's not a shootemup, you could use stealth to accomplish your goal. It had a nice balance in the gameplay. You had to accomplish your mission and reach the helicopter pickup up point so you could get the hell out of dodge. :)

micky4fun

Hi all,

game number 4 ? , yep maybe , lol
i was only mucking about and this game up , picture proberly makes game look better than it is , at the moment just a simple shoot em up , no dropping bombs , not yet anyway , just a few waves of attacking planes , but i will try to improve upon this ,

airbourne ranger  , yep think i remember the game vaughly , think we started with the tandy trs80 over here , b/w , then the colour one game out , i had a video genie a trs80 clone

TinyFrogWare, yes an uptodate version would be great to see , a bit beyound me so glad you may be up for it ,

Thanks for the animation link Kevin , i will try to get to grips with this , as looks as you have a lot of controll over images , i still use the bump up frame A=A+1 approach .

I think there must be a million and one games that we could come up with using this great tool ,
but proberly  a million beyound me , but see there is some clever people here that would be a brezze
would be nice to see a nice portfolio of games written with this great program ,
ive played thousands of games in my time , well im 45 now been around since the zx80 , atari 2600
had great fun for years , but writing your own program just cant compete , its amazing .
now days i would rather muck around with my simple code than play my ps3

keep it up lads , great to see everyone on this great forum , i love it

mick :)

reno

He, look ! This is my house !! I'm here !!!

;D ;D ;D
More games ? Go to my website :)
http://www.thereeteam.com/

micky4fun

Hi reno,

your house , lol , where you make that game RoyCaverna , GREAT GAME , i just download it , very nice indeed , well i hope i can get that good ,
very nice graphics ( even though in 640x480 ) and very good gameplay , great stuff , did you draw graphics yourself?

great stuff,,
Mick

reno

Hi,

Always good to get some feedback ;)

Yes, I drawed all the graphics in 256 colors with IDRAW. Later (the actual version), I added a paper texture on all graphics. Old school gameplay : lot of gamers found this game too hard :'(

I'm learning and making my "framework" with PBFX. I hope to make my next game in 2009 (using "Graphics gale" for the animations).

micky4fun

Hi reno

yes is hard even on beginner , but a very nice game , been playing it for a few hours this afternoon , stopping me doing anymore on my game , lol
i will download and try other game soon.

the graphics even only 256 colours work really well , i see that IDRAW is only for the MAC ,
but i would be useless as doing anything like that anyawy , takes a artistic flare and time , but the end results are nice
your games must take ages to do , im still borrowing images of net , lol .
will try to do some orignal graphics myself when i do a game that im not hurring with

look forward to seeing the programs that you manage to do using this PB program

Mick :)

reno

I worked with the IDRAW for windows... 3.XX I think.

The first time, I tried to make animations in true colors (with another program). But couldn't make something good ! It is very more easy to work with 256 colors palettes for sprites.

Did you tried http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/index.html (GRAPHICS GALE) ?

The good advice I can give every body, is to start very simpler, sprites with few colors, in the mind of the good old NES or MASTER SYSTEM. And then make progresses.

micky4fun

Hi reno

Thanks for your advice and link to GRAPHICS GALE i have just downloaded and installed the program , it looks a good program to use , will take a little while to suss out the controlls but i will give it ago in the new year ,

Im just been doing it the quick way but hunting for images and sprites on the net and using them , it aint come out to bad that way for a 5 minute job
But i can see to get good results you need to put in the time and effort , i will give it ago , but im pretty crap at art , lol

Ok ive just posted my game now airbourne , not as good as some of you might thought , but it was not spose to be a game i was doing , just something that came along as i tried a few things , its ok , not as good as my last effort santa sorta , but i think im proberly not going to go up many levels in the programming department as i think ive reached my limit nearly , but im more than happy with my progress with this PLAYBASIC program , logic , maths , ideas , art and learning ability was always going to let me down , but what great fun though and had the pleasure of speaking to all the great guys on here
I will now wait till the new year and start a longer full game and take my time this time round.

Airbourne info , 15 levels then boss level , game ends when lives lost or boss defeated.
SORRY no ground enemys

HAPPY XMAS AND NEW YEAR EVERYONE

kevin

Sadly it doesn't run here.   

micky4fun

aah , i have tried compiled code on this amd works pc and runs ok ,

so i have no idea why it dont run , the background image is very large , maybe that?

mick >:(

kevin

Yep that's possible, but I think there's probably a file missing from the distribution.   It's hard to say without seeing the code.  I'm not sure if you're intend to include the source code or not, but the only the project description file is included (.PBP),  the code is actually missing (The Main.PBA).  So it's just guess work.