Samurai Girl (mouse based platformer)

Started by Tifu, January 29, 2009, 11:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tifu

Samurai Girl
Download:download
(edit 2/2): updated again - fullscreen only)

Hallo! This isn't the game I was working on last time I posted, but just a quick little game I made to test out an idea I had. It's a pretty simple mario style game, you have your little hero who can jump on monster heads, and if you hit blocks with your head coins or power-ups can fall out (including shuriken, which you can fire at monsters). The game has three worlds, each consisting of three levels followed by a boss fight.

The idea/twist I put into the game was that you use the mouse to control the character. By moving the mouse to the left of the character, she will run left - the further left the mouse is, the faster she will run. By moving the mouse to the right fo the character, she will run right - the further right the mouse is, the faster she will run. Left click is used to fire shurikens (if you have picked up any) and right click is used to jump.

Here's some screenies, downlload, enjoy!?!

Link

link

Link

reno

More games ? Go to my website :)
http://www.thereeteam.com/

ATLUS

kevin

Only had a quick play, but it seems really nice.   Will have to add this to the next User News tidbit.

micky4fun

very nice classic gaming , very fluid and playable ..

mick :)

Tifu

Thanks muchly :)
I was worried i'd get a lot of comments about the controls being unplayable or something, glad to see not the case :D

kevin

well, now you mention it, the controls didn't feel that intuitive to me.   But i've not really had much of a go at it.   

reno

I was worried i'd get a lot of comments about the controls being unplayable or something

- Well, I am the guy ! The controls are very hard for me (video game = gamepad for me). I spend my time slipping on the floor, falling down and hit ennemis :/
- Another thing, you could work on the jump event. For the moment, this little samurai seems to make a triangular flying-jumping ::)
- The window is too small : my resolution is 1680x1050... it's hard to see something in this little window :/
A full screen mode would be nice. See this topic too http://www.underwaredesign.com/forums/index.php?topic=2818.0

Good points :
- the game is smooth
- good story, good design
- graphics are good
- good collisions

Tifu

Ah, that's more what I expected ;D

I did have it fullscreen, but when I sent it to one person they ended up with some really weird glitch that didn't exist when they ran it in window... you should be able to manually enlarge the window by dragging the corners :P (I know, not an awesome solution)

For my next game (currently well underway), I will make sure to include options for fullscreen or winodw play so everyone happy.

reno

Well I notice this glitch in the intro, when when we click to pass images.

micky4fun

Hi Tifu

Thought ile add some more to my previous comments ,

yes the screen is on the very small size on my p.c , but im running 1920x1200 and i dot expect everyone to be running that , i would have thought 1024x768 or 1280x720 to be the normal so should be ok on them machines , but saying that mabe 800x600 should be maybe the minium , ive have been playing you game for a little while now and while im a gamepad person myself , it dont take long to get to grips with your mouse control system and this adds an extra challenge to the game .
all in all its a very good game and well put together something i myself would be very happy with , i look forward to your next game .

just wondering how long this game took to put together as it looks like a lot of work has gone into it

keep up the great work

mick :)

Tifu

OK, seeing as I only really made the game windowed because one person was having trouble in it, and the size of the window is the main problem, I have now re-uploaded the game with an option on the main menu for window/full screen mode. It defaults to full screen, and you have to restart if you change settings. Huzzah!? - you should be able to retain your data file and keep your progress :)
I should really have done that from the start I guess ^_^;

I'm not entirely sure how long it took me because I did most of the base gameplay in summer and then abandoned the project to work on something else, and only picked this up again last December. Probably not longer than a month's work in total i'd think.

kevin

QuoteOK, seeing as I only really made the game windowed because one person was having trouble in it

might i ask,  what this problem was ?

Downloaded (what i think is the new version) and here's what I get.

Tifu

Well... that's exactly what his problem was :)

if fullscreen=0 then Openscreen 320,240,32,2
if fullscreen=1 then Openscreen 320,240,32,1

Is how i'm doing it... now that I look at the help a bit more I note I should have actually set the window size in the project settings! This could be reason for this problem maybe?

kevin

You should first check if the mode exists before using open screen, ScreenModeExist(),  if it doesn't it'll default whatever the project was set to (i'd imagine). 

unfortunately, it's becoming more common for video cards to not support  screen exclusive mode with such low resolutions.