News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Dungeon Searchers demo

Started by Makeii Runoru, February 16, 2009, 12:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makeii Runoru

I decided to work a little bit with a isometric viewpoint. I also tried to get my feet wet with "objects" which are dimmed from types and inherit parent variables.

The code right now looks a little unshaped. Though the game itself seems to run fine for now. I did have a bit of a problem with collision detection in both enemies and the player, but was fixed. Right now I am still working on a solid algorithm for the enemies to chase the player (right now if the player is more than 8 tiles away ~ that being horizontal plus vertical distance ~ they will move randomly. Enemies will not walk over certain tiles as well).

It's still in development, obviously. Though there are a few things accomplished that I am proud of, such as seeing only a portion of the grid from the player's point of view. tiles also overlap according to the way they should be (and objects will appear behind the blocks).

IN the topleft corner are the added debugging statistics:

#1 = frame timer - was used to see whether or not the game was lagging
#2 = player gird x and y
#3 = Player.movetime (decreases by 1 every frame and allows the player to move again once it is 0)

This signature is boring, and could be improved. However, the user of this signature doesn't need a fancy signature because he or she doesn't really care for one.

Makeii Runoru

some screenshots
This signature is boring, and could be improved. However, the user of this signature doesn't need a fancy signature because he or she doesn't really care for one.

Makeii Runoru

and the source package. It was giving me a hard time about file size limits, so i spanned my posts out like this to avoid seeing that message again.

micky4fun

great start to a good looking game , good collision detection , keep up the good work , look foward to updates soon on this game , old memories of a speecky game , knight lord i think it was called..

mick :)

Juha Kämäräinen

Nice.
Reminds me of those 16-bit  games like Landstalker alot.

Hope you keep at it :)

Check out my comic - Bujercon 1

Makeii Runoru

Made a few updates to the game, including several new tiles into the map (all of them do not do anything just yet)

The game might have a feel similar to Chip's Challenge, except that you can shoot. There are currently a handful of tiles that will be implemented:

AO tile = border tiles that nothing can walk to (stands for edge of map)
NONE tile = Standard floor
DOOR tile = Will disappear if used with a key (There will be three different colored doors)
GRATE tile = Triangular prisms that act like blocks, except you can shoot through them.
HARM tile = bubbling tiles of lava that will deplete your life quickly.
STAIR tile = Entering the stairs will increase your floor.
STAIRB tile = the opposite of the STAIR tile. You move down a floor.

Once the game has a stable percent of completion, I wish to make a level editor with a standard pack to play the game if you aren't a creation junkie. The editor will allow you to shape the grid dimensions to your liking and place any tile you want to anywhere.

Since the last version, I have taken out the enemies to rewrite their AI. You can press and hold spacebar to fire bullets which have a lifespan of about 5 tiles. The Blue Worm thingy will only walk on tiles that have only NONE tiles. I'm testing out using a grid containing Strings associated with certain tile names such as HARM or GRATE.

I'm doing this because there may be times when I need to stack more than one tile in a space. For example, Grid$(4,26,3) = "NONE GRATE" would hold both a grate and a none tile. I guess it would be easier just to create constants and name them after integers so I dont get confused, but this works fine too.

I did notice a lot of lag when I was generating an array of 500 bullets (all blank cells of about 6-7 variables ea.). However, with grid dimensions of 200 x 200 x 10 (400,000 tiles) I didn't see any lag.

The game is very much still in development. I will give the latest version. Eventually I'll put to use the POWER, KEYS, and LIFE variables, as well as an armada of different enemies with their own behavior.

Makeii Runoru

another screenie.

micky4fun

Hi

coming along nicely , graphics are nice , nice game code , keep up the good work and thanks for sharing , gives us new to coding an insight on how thing maybe done

Makeii Runoru

No problem. Hopefully I can get it all finished and help with the production of the UW team as well as the publicity of Play Basic. I noticed that they had taken the link off in The Game Creators. It's quite a nice simple engine, PB is.

I'm not really an advanced programmer. I'm still in a lot of learning. Though I find that I enjoy doing stuff like this because programming gives me extreme flexibility to create virtually anything I want. Just gotta find the right methods of doing so. There's a ton of tips and tricks to programming I still do not yet know.

micky4fun

yes wish you luck with the rest of game , well im near enough completely new to this program and have pick it up quite well in my own little way , i know im still programming the very basic way compaired with most of you others on this forum , but im try to add new commands and ways of programming

yes PB could do with a lot more advertising and deserves to do well as its a great little program and Kevin has put lots and lots of work into it from what i can see

im just using it to do a few basic games etc , but i know that some lot more clever programmers could do a lot of good games with this program
i know a lot of programmers write programs to sell once done at a low price say $9.99usd , which is good if the game is very very good and warrants the price tag
but for me im not doing it to make any money gains , its just for the pure pleasure in knowing that i have created and game and hopefully a nice game may pop up now and then

keep up the good work

Makeii Runoru

No worries. Everyone starts out somewhere. It sort of works like a squared equation. You start out putting out little things at first, but it all speeds up gradually, and eventually you're seeing trends in all sorts of languages that you have found with the one language you initially began learning.

Unlike you, I do want to make a profit from programming, but I do want to make some free stuff as well. Mix and match I guess. I don't want to work off of comissions though (such as whatever I earn from my software is what I get). Hourly wages are so much more stable and healthy.