News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

Simple Map Maker For PlayBasic

Started by Ratty, April 06, 2009, 09:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratty

Hi all,

Attached is the first (Alpha v00.00.01) version of my Simple Map Maker (SMM) tool for Playbasic.

Also attached is the README.txt file in case you want to read up on this before trying it out.

I have tested this out on all the PCs I have available, which amounts to 2 ;), one is a Vista home premium 64bit and the other is a Win2000pro 32bit, it seems to work fine on both.

SMM allows you to create and edit maps for use primarily in playbasic. Maps may be made up of multiple layers and contain multiple levels. For more information see the README.txt file attached.

So why write this when Kevin has already created PlayMapper? Well, we all have our preferences for how we like to work and, frankly, I just did not get on with Kevins take on a map editor (playmapper is a good tool, it just did not work how I wanted it to).

As a 30 years+ (  :-\ ) coder I have got in the habit of writing my own tools when I can`t find one that does what I want and this is the result for playbasic mapping. The idea is to 'keep it simple' and allow maps to be created as quickly and easily as possible.

This is an Alpha release because it is missing several features I want in the finished version, not because it is necessarily buggy or unstable.

Please post any bugs, suggestions, comments etc to this thread and I`ll try to find time to address them.

I Hope you find this useful.

Ratty

Deano

Nice work, This a pretty cool map maker. I like how the right mouse button is used for tile selection. I'm envious of your coding skills.

Deano
"Black holes are a result of God dividing the universe by zero."-Steven Wright

Ratty

Thanks Deano, your comments are much appreciated, I was beginning to think no one was interested.

I am using this extensively myself on another project, and will add bits as and when required, so expect updates to appear here intermittently.

Ratty

kevin

Had a go at this the other day, seems like it's coming along.   

Ratty

Thanks Kevin; and thanks for adding the pic too.

kevin

Just, needed something for the IDE news.  Would much rather you posted your own screen shots though :)

Ratty

New Version attached:

2009-05-12 : v00.00.02
   Bug Fixes:
      Corrected level size settings (level grid starts at 0,0, so levels were getting created 1 block too big in width and height)
      Map Selection was broken (cannot select parent menu items). Fixed by adding 'Edit Map' sub menu item.
   Additions:
      Level Groups Functionality added.

Ratty

Attached is version 1.0.0

This is a major update, and the first non-beta version.
Major new addition is support for map animations (pic attached).
See the README.txt file for more information and instructions.

2009-11-10 : v01.00.00
   Bug Fixes:
      Fixed where only square map block images were allowed
      Created a replacement image scale function to replace the buggy ScaleImage function in playbasic (which did not work with large block images)
      Fixed unable to edit last blocks on far edges of map
   Additions:
      Major new feature - full support for map animations!
      Fill function added, eventually, after quite a bit of pain and suffering.
      Status/Information bars added