News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

2009 PlayBasic (game programming) Competition Survey

Started by kevin, April 11, 2009, 01:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be a 2009 PlayBasic game programming competition ?

Yes, I'll certainly enter this year
Yes, but I won't be entering
Maybe, depend upon the theme
No

kevin

2009 PlayBasic (game programming) Competition Survey

We're looking for user feedback on the future of running game programming competitions..  so fire away!

u9

Absolutely! Now, how to get people participating is another matter. It might also be an idea to have a competition for noobs where the winning entry is a free PB license. I.e. anyone with a license cannot enter. Just a thought.

kevin

In the past two  years, we've given licenses to basically everybody that entered. So that's unlikely to change.   However,  limiting entries to LE users doesn't guarantee newbie's though.

There's not really enough demand to warrant the investment of time of running a Public compo.

monkeybot

i would love to enter but am really pushed for time at the moment....one day!

micky4fun

Hi all

Yep im up for it , ile give it a bash , even if the theme is hard for me , its worth a go
at the moment im just experimenting with all kinds of stuff , so going ok , some not so good

mick :)

u9

Quote from: kevin on April 13, 2009, 11:11:36 AM
There's not really enough demand to warrant the investment of time of running a Public compo.

Take it down a notch. Last year's competition seemed very fancy with lots of graphics prepared, external judges and whatnot. It was almost intimidating ;) Maybe find a format which requires less effort to arrange.

Or just skip it and let the community arrange something (if they want), maybe sponsored by playbasic.

kevin

Yeah, we've discussed a  number of models already, including this.   It's not that having a 'low key' compo wouldn't be fun for active users, but if there's no real incentive, there's no participation.   

QuoteOr just skip it and let the community arrange something (if they want), maybe sponsored by playbasic.

Nobody has to date:  See-> User Made Competitions 

kevin

2009 Game Programming Competition Model

The model of this years public community competition will take, is likely to be a much shorter term.  Meaning a month or less.    Theme wise,  there will be either be a single or multiple themes (user choice), but as to what they are, I haven't decided yet.   

micky4fun

Aahh ,,  good news , ile oil my fingers and get the coffee flask ready....

just a silly idea , how about a little trophy for winner instead of cash , PlayBasic comp winner of the year , or something like that
would look great on anyones mantle piece..

mick ;D

kevin

Hmm, the concept I have in mind will probably suit you. 

Quotejust a silly idea , how about a little trophy for winner instead of cash , PlayBasic comp winner of the year , or something like that
would look great on anyones mantle piece..

I could send you a ribbon for your hair if you like ? :) -  But a trophy is ipossible.

micky4fun

Haha
QuoteI could send you a ribbon for your hair if you like ?
send some sticky tape as well as ribbon will just slide of my head otherwise ,
QuoteHmm, the concept I have in mind will probably suit you.
looking forward to that !!

mick ;D

dstone

I said maybe... Only because I am such a slooooooooooow learner. A contest would provide a 'goal' to be accomplished and I think that would be a good thing. If I can get out of neutral and start getting up to speed...  :P

If the prize is a ribbon for one's hair, I'll have to staple it on...  ;D

u9

I have been looking around, and it seems that the prices is what draws people to competitions (there might be something i am missing though.) But the purpose of the competition should probably dictate its format. Is it to get more newbies to playbasic, get more hard core programmers, strengthen the community yadayada. I think these purposes require radically different approaches.

P.s. A physical trophy would be nice ;)

Deano

Kevin when do you plan on announcing the details, Im very intrested.
"Black holes are a result of God dividing the universe by zero."-Steven Wright

kevin

Not until there's something to announce.  It won't be this month however.