News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

2009 PlayBasic (game programming) Prize Survey

Started by kevin, June 19, 2009, 02:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should there be prizes and to what value should the prize pool be ?

Yes, more than $2000
0 (0%)
Yes, more than $1000
2 (13.3%)
Yes, more than $500
2 (13.3%)
Yes, more than $100
2 (13.3%)
Nah, don't worry about prizes this year
8 (53.3%)
Other (post bellow)
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

kevin

2009 PlayBasic (game programming) Competition PRIZE Survey

Should the 2009 competition have prizes given that it's only going to be short compo ??? 

Note: PlayBasic Freebies are a given in any compo!

micky4fun

As for real money prize , well im not bothered with the money side , its all just fun for me , but i know some people would maybe like a prize for the time invested in entering the competition and why not ..
i think looking at the forum post from old and new members that there is some real clever programmers out there , so i hope a lot of them take part and the standard will be high .

that said i also hope the newbies like myself get involved as well , the more the better there's a real bunch of great guys on here , lets get us all involved..

also maybe the winning game to appear with credits on playbasic.com site someware

ok just my thoughts ,  but would be nice to as many entries as possible

mick :)

kevin

Yeah, it'd be a lot easier with without prizes,  It's just difficult to see a community compo working without some type of incentive.   

Quoteok just my thoughts ,  but would be nice to as many entries as possible

Judging by the previous competitions,  I wouldn't expect more than a couple of submissions.  One thing that will change this year, is that contestants will have to register prior/during the first part of the compo.   

Quotealso maybe the winning game to appear with credits on playbasic.com site someware

Doable, If PB.com goes ahead. 

ATLUS

but as to the status of the forum?=)
"1st on 2009 Game programmer Championship" =)

kevin

Quotebut as to the status of the forum?=)

what forum are you talking about ?

ATLUS

prize to replace the status of the forum
for example "Full Member"=====>"1st on 2009 Game programmer Championship" =)

kevin

ahh,  that's sorta likes yann's badge idea.  I wonder If i still have them :)

LemonWizard

I personally would be content with recieving playbasic freebies just for entering.
Really the value in all this for me is to learn and genuinely improve as a programmer!
but prize Money is also nice.
If the sponsor/s can afford it or willing To contribute.
It's more gratifying For Me personally to be recognized though. ^^

kevin

It's always a double edged sword.  The bigger the prize, the more stringent the submission rules & judging criteria become.

Another model we discussed previous to the 2006 compo was the a winner takes all concept.   Where contestants would pay a small entry free, the main prize(s) is the sum total all of the entries.   Obviously in order for that to work,  there has to be lot of contestants.   It would weed out the tyre the kickers.

Deano

I personally don't really care about the money, I happen to be independently wealthy ;D.
I was thinking how about a cool T-shirt. Its cheap and everybody likes a cool t-shirt. Maybe somthing from Australia to add to the coolness.

Just a idea, Deano 8)
"Black holes are a result of God dividing the universe by zero."-Steven Wright

micky4fun

QuoteI was thinking how about a cool T-shirt. Its cheap and everybody likes a cool t-shirt. Maybe somthing from Australia to add to the coolness
now that sounds a great idea , think we all love a t-shirt

ps,, if i win can you include a box of sun to go with it , as we brits dont see much of that ..

mick ;D

kevin

The T-shirt idea is a good one.  Something a bit different.     

"A #(insert amount here) lines of code and all i got was this crappy t-shirt"

Quoteps,, if i win can you include a box of sun to go with it , as we brits dont see much of that .

Dunno about that, but there's plenty of swine flu :)

JokerZ

itunes vouchers / passes might also be a reasonable option. cheap and easy to get and I'm sure someone would like to expand their music collection.

kevin

Yep a possibility,  we'll work something out. 

Got to love the optimist that voted for more than $1000 - Without a sponsor with deep pockets, that's not going happen..  :).     

philltec

Would hope for some prize money, that way the missus wont complain about me spending time on it!