Platform type game , cops n robbers , complete

Started by micky4fun, August 25, 2009, 05:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

Hi all

Thought ile start new thread with this Platform type game im trying out , going to be along the lines of cops n robbers , got how robber on screen , well he looks a little like a robberish , ok rubbish , lol , try to find another sprite later , cops not in game yet , not got them sprites yet ,
think will have to change tile images as well later into game..
only in early stages , so here game and code so far

use arrow keys

a few post down for demo

mick ;D

BlinkOk

looks good mick. is there an existing game that you are basing this on? like lode runner or something like that?

micky4fun

Hi BlinkOK

no not really , im just making this one up as i go along , just trying a few things out with code , ie controlling sprites within the map
so idea at moment , is that your are the robber go around platform picking up money and cops are after you , maybe
really depends how it spans out , so may change game completely , its just my first try out with maps
proberlly been done a million times

mick ;D

micky4fun

Hi All

just tickering around still , heres a bit more done , sliding across bricks not yet done , loads still to do yet , just a demo

your man is there someware can you see him

use arrow keys

further down for new demo

mick ;D

kevin

Mick,

That's actually rather nice. I don't recall seeing anybody do lifts/moving platforms before.  Bit a of first that!     

Vee

BlinkOk

i just got a new pc and the fps number shows 239...it flies! great work.

micky4fun

Hi Knieb ,

thanks , yep its coming along ok at mo.

im using a 25 by 25 map , with map blocks 32pixels by 24pixels in a 800x600 screen , this seems to give reasonable gfx resolution
i could have gone higher with a 1024x768 screen , but i may run it in a window and as its my first go i settled for this.

Hi Blinkok

you must have a nice fast p.c , im getting 190+ at home and work pc about 100 , now capped at 60 , just turn screenvsync off,  dont tell them im using pc for games , lol

well i have loads more sprites to put into game as you can see below at lease another 100 at times depending how player is getting on in game , heres the money you are after , thats once you have robbed the bank by blowing it up with dyamite plus have more game logic to add

so still loads to do ,all lifts done and working as they sould now ,  must get some other characters into the game rather that 50 of robber (player) , so it dont look all the same
back soon

latest update attahed (just a demo), in the game once bank has been blown money will come out of doors you will have to get there before public while dodging police (no banks in place yet)

changed layout a little
as shown in jpg demo1
mick ;D

BlinkOk

wow! that's looking pretty cool mick. i was thinking i might have a crack at a zombies type visual style but you're looking pretty good with those sprites. keep it up mate!

micky4fun

Hi BlinkOk

Glad you like hows its going so far you are Welcome as always to input anything , you may want to hold on a little till you see how game pans out , see how it actually plays before spending time drawing gfx's
the main idea now is that on screen is player , some random shoppers ( could be zombies or anything else ) and cops ( again or something else ) , player has to collect 3 or 4 items to put together a timed dyamite , then takes that to any bank that has not already been robbed , place dyamite at bank , then dyamite timer is started , takes say 20-30 seconds to go off , in this time the player has time to collect another timed dyamite or collect any money still about from previous bank job
once dyamite has gone off , player has to collect money that comes out of bank before shoppers pick it up also doging police that are on there way to blown up bank , once you have collected money you have to get it to your safe bank for it to register , any money collect by shoppers can be taken back off them if you walk upto them on your journey , all against the clock , hoping to do say 4 levels in one level of game and have 2 or 3 main levels so say 8 to 12 levels in total , there is a little more happing as well , but hoping i can do all this above first , at the moment the police stand out as they are a little bigger than all other players at mo , but all the shoppers look the same at mo , but lets get it going as they are at mo and can always change them later..

mick ;D

stef

Hi micky4fun!

Saw some of your progs from you and must say it's really GREAT work!
Thank's for sharing your codes!

Greetings and best wishes

stef

BlinkOk

ok micky. i don't think that really suits the zombie theme so i'll leave you to it. the current gfx are sweet btw

micky4fun

Hi stef

Many Thanks for you comments on my games , well did get a lot of help off of BlinkOk on gfx for 3 of them ,
but my programing is coming along , not at a fast pace , but its moving in the right direction

no problem posting my code on forums as if it was not for others doing just that ile still be progamming print " hello "
but i know my code is really messy , but it may give someone some idea here and there..

Hi BlinkOK

Yep maybe zombies dont quite fit into this , the gfx's are ok , but miles away from your standard , i know you love the cartoon type gfx's
and they could quite easy go well with this game , see what you think in the end , ile leave it upto you as you know .

heres a latest screenie , as you can see , people have stolen some of the money i just got out of banks by blowing them up , ones with dynamite next to them will blow up soon as well , also shows 4 parts of dynamite needed to make bomb , as you can see you the robber does not stand out that well at the moment , so ile still keep looking for a robber

level one not to far from complete now , he says knowing sometimes when i get stuck with code it takes 2 or 3 days to sort out ;D

mick ;D

micky4fun

Hi all

ok heres a playable demo of level 1 with fps set at 60 at moment and window mode as gfx are ok'ish in full screen but not great , not fully complete as police do not do anything to you at all yet , but heres the instructions to game , quite a bit involved so here goes..

you are the robber , you have to collect all 4 parts of dynamite , once all collected take them to any of the 6 banks on screen , but not the main bank with 3 pillars as that is your safe bank ,
once dyamite has been laid it takes 30 seconds for timer to go off , so you now have time to collect all 4 parts to dynamite again ready for another bank.
once dyamite blows bank you can collect money that comes out a max of 5 bags at once , you must take this to main bank one with 3 pillars , (odd bank out) to deposit it
once deposited you can go and collect more money , either off of any people that may have picked some up or police , people can carry a max of 3 bags and police a max of 5 bags
try to get police first as they take any collected bags and drop them off at the next available bank thats not blown up , but not to a blown bank or bank that has dynamite laid
you can only collect bags off of police or people if you are carring nothing at all , but once collect say 3 bags off of people you can collect a further 2 off of floor , so a max of 5 bags in total

still to finish in level 1 , police will take any money off of you if you are caught , police will take compleated dynamite off of you if caught
bonus items
level up

any comments welcome
btw , first number is bags you are carring , second number is bags that you have banked
also i will post souce once complete as its changing all the time

download below

Vee

hey, it's cool, this could become something interesting :)

one bug i noticed is that some policemen carried money that you couldn't see. I tried to get all the money i could and had 97 at the end, did i find everything? Where will the cops bring the money when the player destroys all the banks?
One suggestion for a bonus item: a gun with few shots to shoot policemen :D
I would reduce the number of robbers and add some kind of waypoint AI which actually tries to get the money to the bank or just follows you.
Keep on coding, I'm having an eye on this :)