Casual Creations - Theme Clarifications / Competition Questions

Started by kevin, November 08, 2009, 08:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Casual creations  - 2009  PlayBASIC Game Programming Competition

Theme Clarifications &  Competition Questions (FAQ)

Q.  Where can I find the 2009 PlayBASIC game making RULES &  Competition Overview ?

A.  Everything you need to know should be located in this Post.  If there's something missing, or unclear.  Then Ask your question bellow.  

Q.  Where can I ask questions about if my Game Design is suitable for this competition ?

A.  Here in this thread.   Simply  post your question bellow and i'll answer it as soon as possible.

Q.  Can I email my questions directly to PlayBasic.com or UnderwareDesign.com ?

A.  No.  Use the forums.

Q.  Do I Have to Pre-Register my participation in this competition ?

A.  Yes.  Pre-Registration is mandatory in the 2009 competition.   Registration closes on the 30th,Nov,2009.  Contestants that don't register in time,  are not eligible for prizes.  

Q.  Why is registration required ?

A.  To make the competition fairer.    The pre-registration requirement ensures that everybody interested in participating in the competition, is aware of the amount of interest up front.   So contestants can't be blind sided by community outsiders.    This is a community competition, designed to assist PlayBASIC users, get to know other PlayBASIC users.

NOTE:  If you're a new comer to game programming,  then you shouldn't be put off  if others have registered before you.   Just because somebody has registered their intent to enter,  this doesn't guarantee they'll complete their game on time (Most people won't) , or if the game will be fun to play.   So my advice is rather than use this as a way to make quick money,  use it as an incentive to work towards completing your first game.    Which is a big achievement for any programmer, new or old !

Q.  How do I register my intent to enter the 2009 competition ?

A.  

1)  Sign up for an account on the forum  (if you don't already have one)

2)  Post your intent to enter in the CONTESTANT REGISTRATION thread.

3) Start a thread to BLOG about your game ideas.  (Make sure you start writing the game at some point too :) )

Q.  Why are previous winners & placegetters being handicapped ?

A.    To make the competition fairer on new comers.   All too often these small community competitions are dominated by the same groups of experienced programmers.    Newcomers hardly ever get a look in.   This is unfair ! - So by applying a handicap to previous prize winners,   we're trying to make the competition a little more accessible to everybody.    Experienced developers shouldn't see this is a limitation on them, but as a challenge to do even better than last time.  The handicapped doesn't prohibit you from winning.  

Q.  What is the FAIR PLAY prize all about ?

A.    This is a new incentive we're offering to encourage contestants to help out fellow contestants.    We've added this PRIZE,   Since not everybody has the same level of programming / design and problem solving skills.  So this year, we really want encourage the friendly (no strings attached) exchange of ideas and between contestants.     Therefore the contestant (or contestants ) that are the most selfless ( willing to assist others),  Will be eligible for BONUS FAIR PLAY PRIZE.

Q.  Do I have to help others ?

A.    No.  You're not obligated to.   But if somebody answers your question(s),  then the least you can do is say Thank You !  - Since somebody helped you, then you should at least try to return the favor by helping someone else.    Help can come in all forms.  It might be some code / art / sound / game design  / ideas or just some feedback you have for a another contestant.  

Q.  I'm new to PlayBASIC /  I'm new to Programming. Where can I find some tutorials ?

A.    If you're new to programming (or PlayBASIC) then you find a number of tutorials both in the PlayBASIC documentation (See IDE HELP under ABOUT section), as well as on the www.PlayBASIC.com home page and of course on these forums..

See-> Tutorials on PlayBASIC.com
           See-> PlayBASIC Tutorial Forum Index   (I'd recommend TDK's 10 part series)
           See-> PlayBASIC Tutorials Board