Micky4fun's compo 2009 game blog , now finished..

Started by micky4fun, November 10, 2009, 10:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

Hi stevmjon

Thanks for your post ,
Quotei can't believe how fast you code. if i entered this competition it would take me a year to submit my entry...lol
well if only knew what i was doing it would be a lot quicker even , spend so much time trying to work things out its unreal ,
sure you guys that know lots more about programming could do it a lot quicker , but i do get a fair bit of spare time to tap away with , so i suppose its that i get more time than some on here.
but if i could code as fast as BlinkOk draws then ile have a game every day i think , hes so fast.
I count myself very lucky with PlayBasic , not only found a program that i can get something out of , but had the fortune of BlinkOk helping with gfx's and a forum that every ones very keen to help and very positive with eveything , i have had a great time and enjoy ever minute , some idea's seemed to have worked and other not , but im sure in a year or so from now things will start to click..
[quoteit is only recently i learnt about types, and i think they are great. they looked confusing to learn, so i avoided it][/quote]
yes one of the first things i learn't , as used in the 500 ballons demo , i mucked about with that demo so much until i learnt it 100%
even so i know there is a lot more to be learnt with types , dont think theres a game of mine that there not used.
Quotei did 'spagetti code' for quite some time before i started to expand my knowledge
i really hope to get this sorted out over time , as i have trouble reading it back after i go over so many lines in code , let along someone else

Kevin thanks for code snippets , will include this were i can

ok all the mini games nearly done now , just a few thinks left to do , so will be testing and tiding up with my duster , then post game

mick ;D

kevin

Quotekevin thanks for code snippets , will include this were i can

yeah, but that's not really the point I was getting at...  learning functions helps make writing programs easier,  faster and with less bugs.   

LemonWizard

micky4fun

Hi LemonWizard ..

Good Luck to you and other left in as well mate,,

been good fun tapping away last few months as well as the frustration to , my game is now complete and all but ready to post , just going to do the instructions tomorrow and scoring system , then some play testing and sould be on forum by the 6th
wont add any screenies or anything as you have all seen them..

mick :)

micky4fun

Hi all

first of all forgot to reply to ,
Quoteyeah, but that's not really the point I was getting at...  learning functions helps make writing programs easier,  faster and with less bugs.  
no i do know what you mean kevin ,

Ok here is my full game with instructions in readme txt , i will enter it now as i think its all ok now
please read the read me for outline of game as well ,

still open to some improvement i think here and there , but times up for me now as got things i must do in next day or 2

Download Rescue Me (login required)  the file is 4.1 meg

hope this how the entry must be presented , if not please inform me
i understand that souce in not required for entry , i will post this later as i have cut it down a lot already , and there is still a few things i can still cut.

good luck to all , great to be part of it

Big C.

hey mick,

very, very good job... i'm very impressed from your game... superb gfx, sfx and gameplay... I hope you will participate us at your work in form of a tutorial  ;D

P.S. Do you think about to implement a Hiscore Table?

u9

Awesome Micky! I love it :)

I missed a little feedback on what was the best way to pick up the chicks, but i figured it out quickly though... also, how do i rescue the cat? ;)

u9

And congratz to blinkok for a very nice theme all the way through. Looks very professional!

micky4fun

Hi

QuoteI love it, how do i rescue the cat?
yep thanks U9 did turn out quite well after a bit of tinkering around with orignal idea,
by bouncing the chick in the cats direction , she will pick it up for a bonus , also get chick on steacher with cat without chick walking for extra bonus.
instructions in readme file as well.

Quotevery, very good job... i'm very impressed from your game... superb gfx, sfx and gameplay... I hope you will participate us at your work in form of a tutorial
yep thanks Big C.
well sfx's , i did do a bit of searching for sounds that i thought fitted into game ,
yes i did my best with the gfx's , spent age's in paint , drawing , cutting and pasting them , after all that i stuck them all in recycle bin and used BlinkOk's gfx's instead , so a massive thanks to him there , and for idea's throughout the game.

QuoteDo you think about to implement a Hiscore Table?
yes would be a good idea i think , but looked at tutourial and did not fully understand it, so when i release the code maybe someone
cound fit it in , this way would be how to see how its done within a game , so i could use it again..

kevin

Mick, adding local highscores just requires some code to save the existing highscores either while the game is running or when the user quits.. plus some code to load this info back in...

// Game start up, reads the old high scores into memory (if any)

FileNameOfHighScores$="C:\Testing_High_Scores.TXT"

CurrentHighScore=LoadHighScore(FileNameOfHighScores$)
if CurrentHighScore=0
; No high score was set
print "no previous high score saved"
; set game deffault high score
CurrentHighScore=100
endif

; play the game
Score=rnd(1000)
print "STart game ...  playing game....you're dead.. "
print "Current HighScore:"+Str$(CurrentHighScore)
print "Current Score:"+Str$(Score)

if Score>CurrentHighScore
print "New High Score"
CurrentHighScore=Score
else
print "No new high score, better luck next time"
endif

print "PRess space to exit"

Sync
waitkey

// Game Close down

SaveHighScore(FileNameOfHighScores$,CurrentHighScore)

Function SaveHighScore(FileNameOfHighScores$, HighestScore)
if Fileexist(FileNameOfHighScores$) then deletefile FileNameOfHighScores$
Fh=writenewfile(FileNameOfHighScores$)
writestring fh,str$(HighestScore)
CloseFile fh
EndFunction

Function LoadHighScore(FileNameOfHighScores$)
if FileExist(FileNameOfHighScores$)
Fh=readnewfile(FileNameOfHighScores$)
HighestScore=ReadValue(fh)
CloseFile fh
endif
EndFunction  HighestScore

micky4fun

Hi Kevin

I just edited you'r code a little and put it into my game , nothing fancy , just saves highscore , saves to same folder as rescue me

thanks for the code , i didnt really have much idea how to do it , if i had more time i would have maybe done a top 10 with names , on another backdrop , but things here to do and would have needed help on code on how to do this , as files and file strings not my strong point
so i have replace the download with new one , same link as my game download post above
thanks
mick

kevin

Handling the more score isn't really that much of big deal,  There's an example in the source code board that's set up like a Hi scores library  which is provided for this very purpose.    Of course the cumbersome part is setting up the entry screen..  But, there's always next time

micky4fun

Hi all

Well , i feel a little disapointed that there was no other entries as looking at a few of them they did look quite good and was looking forward to seeing them in action , i hope everyone that entered the compo get the time to finish them , think ive been lucky to have the spare time to complete mine

Got to say a really big big thanks to BlinkOk who did all the gfx's for the game , without them the game would have not gone the way it did and would have not looked nowhere as nice at it does , thanks for jumping on board , so many thanks BlinkOk aka KAZOOWEE
also a big thank you to stevmjon for help with posting of angle question

Ok its not an OSCAR but its a big step for me in just over a year from my now simple boat racing game ,
just love this program so much ,

also thanks for the bucks in prize money , but the fun far outweighed this for me , will put this towards my holiday to Australia next year.

mick ;D

Vee

Big Congratulations for finishing this game and winning the Competition, you earned it :)!

About the game:
It looks very professional and polished, you put love into the details (Menu, flying birds, cats & much more) and thats important.
I like the first and the last part the best. The second one is also nice, especially visually with the multiple background-layers, but i think the controlsystem with the mouse is not perfect, buttons would have worked better here imo.
All in all it's a great game :)! My highscore is 101000 btw

Looking forward to future games from you!

LemonWizard

Congragulations Mickey.
You deserve this one.
I just couldnt' finish my game in time.