News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

LemonWizard's 2009 Compo Blog

Started by LemonWizard, November 10, 2009, 02:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LemonWizard

Ideas so far:

The order in which this project will be done. The order may change.

-Create the game menus and menu graphics
-Create some menu sound fx
-Link menu items to sub routines.
-Create global variables for all mini games such as score, currency, etcetera.
-Create the mini games, graphics music and sound fx
-Use placeholder graphics and media while programming, and build on skeleton to emphasize gameplay and controls aspects.
-Finalize and fine tune everything, debug, and polish graphically.
-Release

The game itself and the desired feel

I'm going to go with a traditional "Earn points to unlock things" kind of idea.
The game will have an overworld you can explore and different things will unlock new events that the player can participate in.
These ideas may evolve as my development progresses. However, for simplicity's sake I'm going to stick to the skeleton plan and build on it, finalizing the game each step of the way so that I don't get too caught up with ideas.  Since the mini games are the main aspect of the game, I'm going to complete one or two of the mini games first, as seperate projects, and test what is plausible, and go from there.

good luck to everyone

LemonWizard

End of Day log: (technically it's 3:02 am the next day bleh)

I got my design done on paper, still a few game elements to work out.
I've found in order to reach the deadline I have to really simplify.

These WERE mock up graphics for the overworld map/area selection. They require a big change.
If not, a restart from scratch...

No sound done yet, been playing with stuff. By tommorow I hope to have a concrete plan.
Day 1 was succesful it pointed me in the direction of fine tuning my rough draft plans. Narrowing them down to a specific set of tasks, and becoming oriented with the steps required.

Just a comment, if anyone needs help with playbasic even outside this competition let me know.

kevin

It's good to see some up front planning going into your project.  This could be very beneficial for people following your progress, So keep it up !

LemonWizard

I didn't have a post yesterday, so it seems I won't be able to keep up posts on my blog daily.
However, the once a week thing will be no prob. Why must you get in the way real life stuff why. *shakes fist* anyways.

I went over a few design concepts and am now getting to put together something a little more concrete.
Here is a basic labrynth level.

Left to do:
-Sounds
-Level Design
-Mini Games
-Menu Screens
-Player Graphics
-Music
-Overall Programming

The design so far:

Okay, so it's obvious I'm going to integrate some kind of a maze feature and tile engine.
The game is going to be based around a gravekeeper who's tasks are the following:

-Polish Gravestones
-Dig Graves
-Fight off Zombies
-Return Relics to the labrynth

The player will be awarded money each time they are able to return items to the labrynth, which can be spent on better tools for digging graves, polishing gravestones, or weapons to fight off zombies.
I hope that I've got people's anticipation up.

LemonWizard

Update

Here's a basic update.
I'm trying to create character graphics, and interface, menu stuff. So far looks good but things all may change.

Here is a sneak peak at my menu screen and some health bars for character health.

Design is going great, development so far is good.
I have ran into one simple problem. The sound file I had for my menu music is 25.4 MB!!
It's a Wav file.
Playbasic as far as I understand can only play Wav files without a library or something I think.
So, now I may have to really watch myself on the size of my media (All part of the challenge!)
The hard part is, my friend informed me that Wav audio files have no compression built in.
If the project filesize total limit is 10 MB then that's really putting pressure on my audio. =p
Now if there was a way to play mp3s in playbasic that might do it.

Meanwhile

I've still got quite a bit of coding to do. Most of the design is finished. The only things I'm missing are some character graphics, the code (which I find easier), and some world graphics/mini game graphics.
Possibly a better looking menu screen...
Tool Graphics/Weapon Graphics (those will be easy)

daver

You can use the PlayBasic music commands instead to play large wav files once you convert them to ogg format

Here's an example:

MusicIndex=GetFreeMusic()
LoadMusic "Music\Better Off Alone.ogg",MusicIndex
PlayMusic MusicIndex

I use an open source audio edit called Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to convert to and from wav, mp3 and ogg format.

LemonWizard

BlinkOk

lookin good lemony dude. bring on the demo

LemonWizard

I might have a playable demo by tuesday ish, if not tuesday then wednesday for sure... right now I'm just toying with the menu screen and I just finished the starting screen. I need to create a records system, and a load game screen.. a world screen and yeah...

It's not going to be a "simple" game in terms of navigation. There will be a few menu options. and Designing each screen is hard, especially in paint =p
If the graphics weren't such a challenge, then I'd be ahead in development. Hence the price of being a one person team. ^^;

Oh well, I have a solid plan.

micky4fun

Hi LemonWizard

QuoteI might have a playable demo by tuesday ish, if not tuesday then wednesday for sure
look forward to that ,
QuoteIf the graphics weren't such a challenge, then I'd be ahead in development
yes what a pain , would save so much time , only if we can draw

good luck with compo

4 of us now , creeping up
mick :)

LemonWizard

Okay so real life stuff got in the way again and I hit a little bit of a mental block.
Right now I'm stuck in progress because I can't find the drive to continue coding and I'm also a little lost as how I want this to work.... I will try some things, and release a playable demo, with some placeholder graphics for character... better than nothing! Expect it by the end of this weekend and that's IF I am able to get around to it... been hectic. I did some menu work last week and linked some menu items together.
I think I need a function that calls a menu item, and gives the coordinates to check... for mouse clicks.
Yeah...
Then each menu item will be a sub screen or something... I dunno..
How about maybe... a pop up screen with more menu options. :/ ugh.. that'd be disasterous. *sigh* will think of something

micky4fun

Hi LemonWizard

QuoteRight now I'm stuck in progress because I can't find the drive to continue coding and I'm also a little lost as how I want this to work....
for me just taking a break , clear the mind and look around you in the everyday world , you may get some inspiration , but you have gone quite far with the gfx to give up , dont do that.
i do know that everyday things get in the way , but soon as you get an odd hour you may have thought of which direction to go , i try one thing , if that does not come out right then just re-try another
hopefully something will  work well

theres no rush for a demo , no prizes for that , lol
good luck , keep tapping away

mick :)

kevin

Personally, I find that I can get more down in less time, when I have a clear idea of what i'm going to be working on.  So in your case, isolate all the key problems,  break them into the smallest parts then skim through one by one..   I wouldn't worry about the 'visuals (menus/interfaces) or sounds/music'  until at least the very bare bones version pf working game work is up and running.

LemonWizard

So basically... I took a little bit of a break, yay for daily stress. >.>
I do believe that my plan has been better thought out at this point.
So, I will be working on the entire project all weekend hopefully, despite distractions.
Thanks to everyone for being so helpful !

markel422

Hi LemonWizard, you think you can show me how to create maps and levels?