Main Menu

Running Dtab on Windows 7 ?

Started by kevin, December 17, 2009, 06:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Running Dtab on Windows 7  ?

Well, as with any new OS update, legacy software developers are left scrambling to implement support.  At the time of writing I don't have a Win7  test machine.  So i'm unable to locally test Dtab on it.     Therefore, we're calling upon the user base to aid in helping either overcome issues with installing and running the Dtab on a Win7 system.

DTab is written in a mixture of Vb6 and c++,  The issue here is VB6.  Win7 is meant to have to legacy support for it, however, from what i've read on the subject this may well be less than desired.   With a number of legacy VB6 applications requiring the user execute them through XP VM.    So worse comes to worse, it should work through that.

Anyway,  here's  what i need. I need people with Win7 machines willing to install and help debug the installation process.       Bellow are two versions of the Dtab (demo) installation.  One is zip of the package files (you'll probably need to install the VB6 runtimes) , the other is the installer version.  The latter is using a newer version of the installation package.   it comes with the vb runtimes etc.   However it's possible that other legacy ocx/dll's are  not present in win7 by default.  I can't be sure, don't a win7 install .  

Downloads

Dtab V1.01b  (Zipped version, no installer.  Requires the user have the VB6 runtimes installed)

Dtab V1.01b  Installer  (Redirects to the Dtab Home Page)

Note: The testing period has completed.  The test installers have been removed, the DTAB home page now offers a working Win7 installer.   I've left the ZIP here (for the time being), just in case people might like a version without installer.

Big C.

using win 7 64 bit... I dont know if i had vb6 runtimes installed but I could start the exe in the zip package without errors and test the included samples... Fine drumming sound for me... :-D

kevin

That's good to know.  Was having trouble uploading yesterday, so can you try the installer version posted above also.   Although, I have a feeling it won't work ..

Big C.

kevin

thanks.    After a bit more research, it appears that since Vista (and I assume Win7) come ship with the core Vb6  service pack6 files, that it won't all them to be installed.. Which makes sense..   I've updated the installer to handle this,. will upload it later..

kevin

Big C.

new attachment for you  :)

kevin

Well, first things first..  Only focusing on the installer atm.