Main Menu

What's the best 2D video game ever made ?

Started by kevin, September 25, 2010, 06:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

What's the best 2D video game ever made ? (and you can't say Mario :) )

monkeybot

micky4fun

some absolute classics to choose from , could pick 10 easy

my favourite has to be a mining game as well , miner 2049er

Devain

I'm going to say Super Metroid. Or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Open-ended platformers with lots of style and character. Though campy Japanese stories don't really cut it...

Adaz

Unequivocally Shadow Of The Beast II !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iENsnbU651U

Ádáz

Hungary

Paladin

For me it would be Lode Runner Classic.

Ralph Flye
"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde

kevin

Personally, i can't really pin down just one 2d game as my all time favourite.   Different games during different era's

Here's a couple i mentioned on the PlayBasic facebook page.

QuoteSome of my favourites would have come from the same era also. Early stuff like Lode Runner , Karatake / Way Of the Exploding Fist, Shamus, Boulder Dash, Revs, Nebulus, SWIV , Giana Sisters (grin) etc etc

Adrian also mentioned Thrust.

C64 Longplay - Thrust

Playing Shamus on a VIC20 (VC20)

kevin

So there's no 'Zelda' fans here then...?

Speaking of Nebulus when looking for a remake and stumbled upon a game called Icy Towers.  Seems to be fairly popular and dead simple to write..

ATLUS

kevin

Finally got to play castlevania symphony of the night, pretty good so far.   It's curious how the world is made up some small fragments though.   

Laskiapina

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle!

It has a great story, great voice acting, beautiful graphics and good music. I can't think of anything that's wrong with it.

I kind of hope there would be a sequel to Maniac Mansion 2 but it would have to be written by the same team and the graphics would have to be in 2D. I think Monkey Island 3 style would fit.
Otherwise the sequel would be pointless to make and it would just ruin the whole thing.
Finished projects so far: Kumiankka, Meals of the Dragon, Fisut, Draw Old, Reikäkopio, Blindage, Escape from Millmier

Homepage: Not yet named project

ATLUS

The Last Express

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Express

LemonWizard

Legend of Zelda a link to the past. SNES. It was remade for GBA, and titled "Legend of Zelda Link to the past/Four Swords"

I miss owning that one. It was fun.

Another great game was Donkey Kong Country 1. Why number 1? Because it was the first of it's genre in a sense of graphical innovation.
That, and the game innovated in several other ways to. Aside from mario world, the game had alot of grabbable/movable objects.
Alot more than most sidescroller games of that era, aside from say? Megaman.

Also there was Metroid. yes the original.
Pokemon. Red/Blue.

Best of all though, the best out of ALL of those games? I have to say, would have been Link to the Past.

AndyD

It would have to be between Zelda III: A Link to the Past and Super Mario World.

I finished both games, which is quite unusual for me!

I was playing Super Mario World last week and was amazed at the "echo" applied to the sound effects in a cave level. The attention to detail still amazes me after nearly 20 years, so the prize has to go to the plumber.

Adeythrash

ATLUS, you mentioning The Last Express made me think of stop the express, on the spectrum.
It was less than 16kb long so it's made for original 16kb speccy, which goes to show how old it is.

Used to make me laugh when you finished a level it would display "Congraturation - You success!!!"

Still, I spent hours playing that game, fiendishly tricky and quick to boot. :)

And AndyD, you can't have the plumber, as Kevin did say in the 1st post, no mario. :P
Too easy to say mario, but I loved the zelda games, so definitely a worthy runner up to the moustachioed one.