Challenge #21 - Halloween Pumpkin Mini Game

Started by kevin, October 29, 2010, 12:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Challenge #21 - Halloween Pumpkin Mini Game

In the spirit of Halloween,  this weekend your 48 / 72  hour challenge is to create a Halloween inspired game featuring a pumpkin as a game character.   You can pick any genre you like (big or small), the goal here is create to a working (playable) game and post it before November 1st 2010 if possible.    So this is a speed challenge !

Submission

* Submissions can be written in any version of PlayBasic

* Submission can only be accepted in Source Code form only.

* Authors can use external Media (images/music) provided you created the media/and or have permission to distribute the includes media or the Media is in the public domain.

* Zip up your Submissions and please try to keep it smaller than 500K !

* Authors automatically give consent for their submission(s) to distributed and used for promotional purposes via UnderwareDesign.com, PlayBasic code tank.

* Authors can submit as many times as they like.

* To make a submission, zip up your projects source code + media and either post it in this thread, or create your own thread in either the Source Codes or Show Case forums and post a link bellow.

Dead Line

Anytime before the next ice age

Prizes

* The best submissions will be periodically highlighted through the PlayBasic IDE news service/News Letters or on Twitter

LBFN

I would like to participate, but there aren't enough hours in the day for me to make something in that timeframe. :)

kevin

I'm just started to knock together a combined  boulder dash / pumpkin game.  The media is a struggle though.

monkeybot

Quote from: LBFN on October 30, 2010, 10:57:28 AM
I would like to participate, but there aren't enough hours in the day for me to make something in that timeframe. :)

me too....
48 weeks more like.
nice idea though.

kevin

It's a design challenge,   we're not talking about Lord Of The Rings here...  Simply how efficiently people can come up with an idea and then build it.  

kevin

Pumpkin Dash

It's about 1pm sunday here (31st),  at this point i've got a little map editor running and the core logic of the game set up.  It's not fully playable at this point, but pretty close to it, the player can run around and grab the pumpkins, but falling objects can't kill you..

kevin

Pumpkin Patch

It's just turned midnight here, and the game is a at this point where it's almost playable.  Currently there's no objective for the player though, as the rules are being written (made up :) ) on the fly, given the limited number of characters in the game.   Collisions are a bit dodgy, but i'm sort more focused upon the game at this point.   A few more hours and we should have something that resembles a game a little more.

(Source code & media attached)

micky4fun

hi all

looks good and plays well kevin , wont take you long to finish this into a full game ,
great idea ;D

mick :)

kevin

Pumpkin Patch V0.02

It's about 8am here, boy Time flies when you're having fun.  This version is the result of a little over a day of coding, as such it's looking like a game now, although it's still a bit clunky and there's only one (big) level, but you can  play, win and die.   It'll probably take you more a few goes to win, but it is possible.  Even though I've only completed it a couple of times all night myself  :)  

About:

The objective of the game is to collect enough pumpkins to exit the world.  The player uses the arrow keys to move (4 way). To collect a pumpkin move over it,  As you move the character will tunnel through any dirt or Air tiles.  Within the the level you'll find ROCKS and PUMPKINS.  Rocks can be pushed and dropped.  When a rock falls upon a pumpkin, the pumpkin explodes.  Replacing the air and dirt around it with pumpkins. In order to collect enough pumpkins you'll need to do explode them.  Be careful though  as if the player gets too close to an explosion they're dead,  nor will it survive under a falling object.    

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ra3SXrM28E

Download:

(Source code & media attached)

OldNESJunkie

Tricky, tricky building the game with 1.64M beta. Good way to get us to beta test though I guess. Need some sort of motivation to get off my lazy duff.....

kevin

QuoteTricky, tricky building the game with 1.64M beta. Good way to get us to beta test though I guess.

Nah, It wasn't designed to be.  But surely you've noticed by now that the only version of PB that I use, is the most current one ! :)

OldNESJunkie

Yeah I've noticed. More than a few times I've been caught by surprise with an error message when trying to run one of your creations. hehe