News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

house hunter - Treasure Trove (wip)

Started by micky4fun, May 08, 2011, 06:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

hi all

just the latest game im tying to put together , i estimate a week or so , got the main control done now , not quite as i wanted it , but it works to a certain extent , is quite playable in its present form otherwise i would have given up on it

this is called house hunter at the moment , but many of you may reconize it looks very much like oil's well on the commadore 64 and atari 800
and it is very closley based on that game
as im using maps i will do as many levels as i can if game plays ok , but here is were i am at the moment , few loose ends in code but cant see any problems at the moment

back soon
mick ;D

BlinkOk

looking fine mick. i had a look at the c64 game play. how are you translating that to buying a house?!?

micky4fun

hi all

yep blinkOk , was going to start in an old tatty house in street and as you dug in you garden , front or back you found objects under the ground , ie dog bones higher up , then old watches coins etc , that were worth money , that was used to upgrade your house on next level so your house got better and better or added things to your house, or moved to a better street
the layout is done using map , so levels should be easy to do , objects would be sprites as would be attacking snails , worms , catterpillers etc and i can always overlay gfx's over the map layout as pic as demo the pipe , depending if needed

but this is very much a oils well clone

was thinking about an attic first so would be other way round , but thought this sounded better anyway
hopefully ile get a playable level up in a day or 2

mick ;)

BlinkOk

so the idea is that the snake you create cannot cross it's self and you can only go DOWN vertical tunnels. is that right?

micky4fun

hi all

Quoteso the idea is that the snake you create cannot cross it's self and you can only go DOWN vertical tunnels. is that right?
yep the snake , well drill cannot go across itself but can go up and down verical tunnels and back on its self , but not accross itself

i have been tuning up the controls at the moment as it is keyboard at the mo , im hoping to use mouse instead or as well
as like pacman games you have to be pretty accurate when turning up or down tunnels , which i am making a little easier
also been trying to do some better house graphics and layout of game ,but was hoping to have a different house on each level but my gfx's maynot streach to that,been quite a long time today on this so im knackard now but i will get a demo up asap

but this does pretty much play as oils well game
latest screenie

mick ;D

BlinkOk

are you randomly generating levels or are they hand made?

micky4fun

hi all

Quoteare you randomly generating levels or are they hand made?
at the moment they are hand made just using maps ,

mick ;)

balaporte

Mick, looks great already. I really enjoy these types of games (like Anteater in the old arcades?), and I really like the idea of finding more valuable objects the deeper you go with the drill. Getting enough wealth to move to a new street sounds like a good way to transition to a new level design. How about finding some dinosaur bones, those would be worth something, right? Overall this sounds really fun.

BlinkOk

micky4fun

hi all

P'M you back BlinkOk

ok i will get a demo of the game mechanics up by weekend so people can see how it plays
resoulution , map block size etc
here is the new level one , with 50% of the pick up in and 1 enemy the snail

mick :)

micky4fun

hi all

well sorry no demo yet as its not all looped together yet , done 2 levels so far that play but do not interlink yet , no sound yet either , im going to do scoring , reseting and interlinking to get a 2 level demo up asap , then another 8 levels will be easy enough , just a bit time consuming getting gfx's and laying them out

anyway heres a screenie of first 2 levels , later levels will have dead ends etc

mick :)

kevin

Looks good, and i think i remember this game..  So how are you setting up the levels ?

micky4fun

hi all

QuoteLooks good, and i think i remember this game..  So how are you setting up the levels ?
i had it years ago on the atari 800 , was not a long game only 8 to 10 levels i think and not that hard to complete
but had some quite good gameplay to it,

the levels are done as follows with maps and a loaded gfx file , the pick ups are sprites with just a few for next loops to put them in place
example
MyMap=1
 CreateMap MyMap,1
 MyLevel=1
 CreateLevel Mymap,MyLevel, 39,30 ;;;; 800 by 600 resolution
 ;=====================================================================================
 if level=1
    MakeMapGFX MyMAP,40,20,20,7,rgb(0,0,0)     ;;;  40 is the gfx's file image , if level 2 then image 41 would be loaded and so on
    PrepareFXMap myMap
     For Ylp=0 to 29
     For Xlp=0 to 39
          Tile=ReadData()
PokeLevelTile   mymap,1,Xlp,Ylp,Tile
     next
 next

for a=1 to 19
  positionsprite pills(a).sprite,a*40,546
  next a
  for a=20 to 30
  positionsprite pills(a).sprite,(a-20)*70+50,486