News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

Pooyan complete game

Started by micky4fun, July 09, 2011, 07:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

hi all

well been mucking around with website for a little while , will get it up and running soon , also other ideas here and there
but while surfing the internet i stumbled across this and it bought back so many memories of years ago when buying games on cassette and waiting 15 mins for them to load or bomb out
just remembered when you went into the shop to buy a new game and you looked at the front and back of cassette to see what game was about , so many of them had nice artwork images on the cassette
that made you thought how cool the game must be , but the actual gfx's you got on your tv screen was nothing as good , nothing like the cassette portrayed.
here is an example of the cassette artwork on a game called pooyan , looks good for 1984 , 27 years ago , as it happened the in game gfx's was not to bad on this one
so i thought i would give this game a go , what i have done here is take the cassette artwork and used it in my game.

still early doors at the moment , and they have got no balloons yet , anyway will crack on
Watch On YouTube

mick :)

kevin

it's looking pretty good already.    

Quotebut the actual gfx's you got on your tv screen was nothing as good

True, but to be fair its not like the machines back then had sort of the memory or grunt to display better representations.  Just one of the sprites in your version is probably larger than the entire 8bit game (code, gfx & sound included)      

If you're looking for a challenge a crank up the Vic-20 Emulator sometimes..   :)

BlinkOk

looks great mick. using the cassette artwork in the game is a brilliant idea!

buggage

Pooyan was a great arcade game. Looking forward to a good remake :)

micky4fun

hi all

QuotePooyan was a great arcade game. Looking forward to a good remake
well if you know anyone thats going to do a good remake please let me know , lol , well i will give it a bash
but dont expect to much , but i will give it a shot. thanks buggage

Quotelooks great mick. using the cassette artwork in the game is a brilliant idea!
yep thanks blinkOk
well not a bad idea using the artwork , but its not a great hi-res scan of artwork so images are okish , so i have used 800x600 screen to help overcome gfx's and also seems to res to use anyway
i have now moved the right hand of the screen over to the left a bit so it keeps the aspect ratio more in line with the game , as it would be better with the screen rotated 90 degrees , so scoring is going to be on the far right.

QuoteIf you're looking for a challenge a crank up the Vic-20 Emulator sometimes
yep think i will do that one day , only had a vic 20 for a few months yonks ago , only had a handfull of games on that , blitz springs to mind , airplane going over dropping bombs on skyscrappers to lower them so plane can land safely

ok heres a slightly uptodate clip of game , with the basic's in place , will tap away when possible and get back soon

Watch On YouTube

BlinkOk

if you post the image of the wolf on the ground i could try to animate him if you think that would help

micky4fun

hi all

ok BlinkOk ,
thanks for trying to give him some kinda animation , i was just going to try and shuffle he's feet , as you can see they are not fantastic images but do the job in getting the game up and running

BlinkOk

walk cycle, pretty ordinary effort but in the end i redrew him and animated him in flash (which i,m not used to). i hope this doesn't depart too much from the style of the art work.

now the background is magenta (it has to be because there's black in the character)

Laskiapina

Mick: I like the idea. Waiting to get to playing it =)
BlinkOK: Nice! Wish I could animate as good :S :D
Finished projects so far: Kumiankka, Meals of the Dragon, Fisut, Draw Old, Reikäkopio, Blindage, Escape from Millmier

Homepage: Not yet named project

micky4fun

hi all

thanks blinkOk , yep he is fine , i will get a demo up soon
thanks Laskiapina , thought it would be something to muck around with , hope you are still working on your game

kevin

Quoteyep think i will do that one day , only had a vic 20 for a few months yonks ago , only had a handfull of games on that , blitz springs to mind , airplane going over dropping bombs on skyscrappers to lower them so plane can land safely

I think remember that one,  Omega Race, Gorf  and of course Shamus are about the only one's that i can really remember playing.

You've just given me an idea for compo :)

Also,  does www.micky4fun.co.uk  have PHP support ?

micky4fun

hi all

Quotedoes www.micky4fun have PHP support ?
well to be honest i dont know what this is , its just a basic website , just got a 100 meg download , its just to put up a pic of game and a download button for that game . also just what project that i am doing at that time , only basic stuff , as all over my head i affraid.

i see on your developer's blog that www.graphicsforgames.com may supply some images for us guys on here , that would be a great help for most of us i think , if that does hapen

also i have just ordered a acer windows 7 tablet , im hoping that it will run playbasic games on it without any problems
i will let you know the results , as i see more and more tablets coming out , proberly replace the laptop in time , but android will proberly
be the way to go

just re-did my coding a bit over the last few days , to make it easier to follow and add to
will get stuck into it over the weekend , as i have plently of spare time

kevin

Quotewell to be honest i dont know what this is , its just a basic website , just got a 100 meg download , its just to put up a pic of game and a download button for that game . also just what project that i am doing at that time , only basic stuff , as all over my head i affraid.

It's a server side programming language, it's no harder than PB.. just bigger.   Send us an email and it'll send you some script to try out.  All you do is upload the file to your server and point your browser at it..  It'll either work, or fail :)  - I should have it installed though.

Quotei see on your developer's blog that www.graphicsforgames.com may supply some images for us guys on here , that would be a great help for most of us i think , if that does hapen

yeah, it'd be handy.. but we'll see when something arrives.

Quotealso i have just ordered a acer windows 7 tablet , im hoping that it will run playbasic games on it without any problems
i will let you know the results , as i see more and more tablets coming out , proberly replace the laptop in time , but android will proberly
be the way to go

At long as it's X86 based it should run.  Providing there's a DX9 installer

ATLUS

i forgot this game, i played this game in NES, Great idea micky4fun   ;)

Big C.

Quotewell not a bad idea using the artwork , but its not a great hi-res scan of artwork so images are okish , so i have used 800x600 screen to help overcome gfx's and also seems to res to use anyway

maybe this could help u to recreate the needed sprites...

btw... nice work... love this game in my young days...