Main Menu

For Foxes Sake WIP

Started by micky4fun, August 19, 2012, 03:54:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

Hi all

thanks for little spaceman BlinkOk , i have hime now , as this platform as changed a bit since day one , i just wanted to try a few things out , things i can get to grips with
i started at a 64 pixel square block , now i find thats not really ideal , think a 32 pixel square is the way to go next time maybe ,
but i am going to stick with 64 and do a game on that , i have decieded to use my own map editor and ad to it as needed , still in a simple form
i am not good enough to do a flash looking one , but was definitely a good call from Kevin , would be a nightmare without one , can draw map in seconds rather than hours
just added a save reload save map to editor , with ad other things as i go , can use this on other map projects

ok i have now come up with this , as doing this game on the fly as well , multi level either one long level at 1 screen hight or a 3 or 4 screen by 2 or 3 down

proberly going for a title of garden capers or foxes dilemma's ,

you are required to do a few garden tasks while dodging hedgehogs , snails , worms etc , dripping water ,
taskes to be added , but errecting fence panels , painting fence , cutting edge , planting seads etc
quick screen shoot below , will pop back when more done

mick :)

micky4fun

Hi All

well starting to take shape now , but does now start to looks very mario ish , proberly not a bad thing ,

anyway , its now full on this game with now sidestepping , lol
one thing i see is that these tiles soon mount up , should have enough soon to do the bathroom , lol

BlinkOk

looking very nice mick. luv the colours.

ATLUS

micky4fun, this screen-shot is pretty good!

micky4fun

Hi all

yep thanks BlinkOk and ATLUS , well its really looking like a mario game with the pooyan fox , lol , but its given me a good insight into the map commands thats for sure ,
yes colours are bright and bold , which look nice ,
has its a mario sytle playformer , i am trying to keep the game moving as much as possible , so the idea of mending fence and then painting it , is going to be just painting it , otherwise think you will be to long on one part of screen doing 2 things ,
just getting all the graphics together so i have what i need to do levels , then will start to do baddies and moving platforms etc , then get them to be plotted in the map editor program i have done
dont know how long this game is going to take , lets see
Quoteideally the two program would use the same include files, which is something you've never done before.
erm dont think i will be upto that , this will have to be done in main program i think

ok video time , lol , well this time it looks better in real life than on video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exq9ATuF4sI

if you look carefully you will see fences change colour when passed by ,  brush and walking to be added

ok back soon :)

kevin

Quoteerm dont think i will be upto that , this will have to be done in main program i think

Nope.  All you do is create two folders.  One called game the other for editor for example.   The game source code + media gets put in the Game folder.  The Editor source code goes in the editor folder.  For anything that the editor needs to share with the game, you #Include it (picture bellow).    Same goes for files.     

In the attached example there's the two projects.  Both projects share the a common source file in the game project folder called "Map-Engine.pba"  ,  that source consists of all the code to load/display and save if need be a map.  You'd obviously 'format' the load and save data however you need.   Within this file it also defines universal constants such as the block width, height etc.   These are hard coded into the example for clarity,  even they don't really need to be.   

Since the file is shared, then the game/editor can both benefit from changes made to the map library source code. 

Sigtrygg

Hello Micky4fun!

The game looks very nice! Especially the movement of the clouds
are very living! Jumping looks fine.
I am curious how you develop the game further.

Bye

Sigtrygg

stevmjon

cool micky4fun.  the character movement is pretty smooth.

looking forward to your progress.

stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

BlinkOk

i realize a spaceman is pretty useless for this one so i did a quick fox. hope it's ok.
if you're working on something then no probs.

let me know if you wanna use it and i'll do jump and land (and any others you need) frames as well

micky4fun

Hi all

Ok thanks for code snippet Kevin ,
thanks stevmjon for your comments , still looking out for your platform game , hope you are still getting a chance of getting it back on track , lots of hard work i know , very time consuming
also thanks to sigtrygg for comments to , well cheating a bit at the moment with clouds , just a tileimage command with a looped cloud effect , shame i cant use this in game as will only tile resolution of main screen and when camera starts moving then it soon disapears off screen , so either a tileset of clouds needed or a few sprites

well BlinkOk , yep your fox fits the bill perfect , he will do as is at the moment , lets get the game going first to see if i need any other frames etc
yep 64x64 is great ,

been slow last week and this week as loads of people off work and im covering for them , but trying out and doing what i can
ok heres you fox in game picture is 800x600 but game is 1024x768 if you look carefully you may be how to see the paintbrush he is looking for , back soon

BlinkOk

looking very cool mick. it's got a bit of a mario meets sonic vibe.
just thinking that it might be easier if the tiles in the sky were 32x32
so they would line up with the 64x64 tiles.

kevin

Mick,

It's looking really good.

also thanks to sigtrygg for comments to , well cheating a bit at the moment with clouds , just a tileimage command with a looped cloud effect , shame i cant use this in game as will only tile resolution of main screen and when camera starts moving then it soon disapears off screen , so either a tileset of clouds needed or a few sprites

There's no support TileImage in the camera, so if want to tile something you either render the fragments relative to the cameras position (see sparkler)  or just draw it immediately prior to rendering the camera scene over the top.  The latter is prolly easier.    You could use sprites, but if the play never interacts with the parallax, then it's not worth it.

PlayBASIC Code: [Select]
   ; ---------------------------
; make some simple backdrop images
cls 0
Circlec 32,32,32,true, $00333333
GetIMage 1,0,0,64,64

cls 0
Circlec 64,64,64,true, $00555555
GetIMage 2,0,0,128,128

; make the cameras
Cam=NewCamera()
CameraCls Cam,Off

; lock the frame
Setfps 61.7

; main loop
Do

; draw one layer of backdrop first in immediate mode
Xpos=GetCameraX(Cam)/4.5
Ypos=GetCameraY(Cam)/4.5
TileIMage 1,Xpos,Ypos,false

; draw another layer just for simething to look at
Xpos=GetCameraX(Cam)/2
Ypos=GetCameraY(Cam)/2
TileIMage 2,Xpos,Ypos,true

capturetoscene
clsscene

// draw game scene stuff

mx=mousex()+GetCameraX(Cam)
my=mousey()+GetCameraY(Cam)

SpanAngle#=wrapangle(SpinAngle#,1)
For lp =0 to 36
x2=MX+Cos(SpinAngle#+LP*10)*100
y2=MY+Sin(SpinAngle#+LP*10)*100
linec mx,my,x2,y2,$00ff00
next

DrawCamera cam

MoveCamera Cam,1,0

Sync
loop

You can find a function call CustomTileIMage in the Sparkler demo demo, which shows how to draw only whats needed to fill the camera/screen viewport.  

micky4fun

Hi all

Thanks for code snippet , that works fine , i did try that way but i did not include the  CameraCls Cam,Off command so it did not show back ground as i did not grasp what this command did , easy when you know how

Ok back to game for an hour or so as bed looms

micky4fun

Hi all

time still short this week , but will crack on weekend a bit , heres a little feeler to try out , just a static screen at mo , but will scroll soon
use arrow keys to paint fence
foxes pixels to platform to be tightened up later , so he may overhang a bit
also baddies to be done when all map laid out

ATLUS