News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

Raybaster Help???

Started by ScottieB, May 10, 2016, 08:20:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottieB

I am trying to continue with my raycaster engine.

I'm working on doors and the code is right but...

How do I fix the texturemaps on the doors they are not a nice as the walls.
Any ideas???

Please help if you can.
ScottieB

kevin

just use polygons like.. Wolf 3D demo does.

kevin

there's also a must more optimal version of your original code posted here (login required)

stevmjon

hey scottie

I spent the last week going through your code, figuring out how it worked, using step-trace mode etc.
I worked out most of it (see pic 2) and have come up with a few ideas.

1. I worked out a door texture fix, by extending the ray until it hit the door offset position. it works but is not perfect yet(see pic 1).
2. I added a lockbuffer loop after the main ray loop, to draw the screen texture strips much faster.
3. I removed a bottle neck loop that was greatly slowing down the FPS.

I hope this helps you, and I think it is a clever idea how you created a 3D image from a 2D map.

I will continue to refine the door texture, as it is slightly different between + direction, and - direction.
I also want to look at smoothing out the wall top and bottom edges, as this will also smooth out the wall textures too.

stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

kevin

Steve,

QuoteI hope this helps you, and I think it is a clever idea how you created a 3D image from a 2D map

It's as old as the hills man,   but John Carmack popularised the idea.    Wolfenstein 3D Director's Commentary with John Carmack