PlayBASIC Tutorial: Hello World - 2017-02-19

Started by kevin, February 18, 2017, 10:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

PlayBASIC Tutorial: Hello World - 2017-02-19

Hi BASIC programmers in this tutorial we take a quick look at using the PRINT command in  PlayBASIC.   The video shows the new programmer how the classic "Hello World" program would appear in the PlayBASIC programming language.   Beyond that the video looks into some other commands such as SYNC, WAITKEY, INK, RGB, LOADFONT and SetCURSOR and gives some basic tips on using the HELP and compiling programs.

So after this video,  you'll learn enough to do something but most likely get yourself into more trouble..  But that's ok..  Learning to program can feel a lot like walking around in a dark room full hammers at times.  You bang your head more than once and generally over and over and over again..  

Well, have fun..  

Watch On YouTube

stevmjon

hey kev

good to finally hear your voice. this video is better because you explain more things while talking, rather than viewers reading text on screen.
it would also be good to show some pics to help viewers visualise some of the things you are explaining. like the double buffer screen for example (see pic i made for you).

now you are set up for recording, maybe you can record a tutorial series if you get more 'boring sunday afternoons'.
i'd love to see them. i can even make some perty pics for you if you like too.

stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

kevin

Hey Steve,

I've been making drumming videos for a while now, generally just a way to keep playing.. Don't spend anywhere near the amount time in the drum room these days as I used to.    

Quoteit would also be good to show some pics to help viewers visualise some of the things you are explaining. like the double buffer screen for example (see pic i made for you).

Agreed 100% , but it really slows down the creation..  It'd be nice to have a 'make a game' series or something..     This first screen cap above took about 3.5 hours from start to uploaded and most of this stuff will no doubt done in an 'as is' when time permits fashion .  Was hoping it'd only take a hour per video.    It'd be nice to script it out and really have a point though :) ..  

I think what slowed this down was not having a template video project to drop the videos into, which how i made drumming videos now.    There's was also troubles audio sync, which took a while to tweak.     Been moving video editing software.. etc...  The new one is really good, but unstable on my desktop.. Been wrestling with it some bigger video projects that are only slightly more complex visually, but it's become crash city... so slow going