UnderwareDesign
January 19, 2018, 12:57:28 PM *
News: PlayBASIC V1.64P4 (Revision 4) Released  (24th,Mar,2016)
   Home    
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: PlayBASIC Live: Making a Game series - So what type of game prototype ??  (Read 178 times)
Development Team

« on: December 07, 2017, 09:41:07 PM »

PlayBASIC Live: Making a Game series - So what type of game prototype ??

I would like to make some more video series that show hands on, line by line coding of a game..   but what game(s)  would  be interesting ??

The thing to consider is the series need to be interesting enough for people to want to watch, not require tones of media,  or if so, there's enough free media packs out there that we can use to build a working prototype and supply the media to user so they can 'see' how things are used..  

Discuss bellow !

Related Links:

-    Rygar Arcade

PlayBASIC Video Blog Ep #0006 (2017-12-09)

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 06:20:33 PM »

hey kev

i think this is a great idea. perfect for people learning playbasic. this will explain game making in more detail, rather than people reverse-engineering game code themselves(this takes much longer to learn). it will be a more popular tutorial too.

well... what type of game? i guess you want to make a platformer going by the rygar arcade link in post#1, so i think maybe a combination of features that look cool to add. not based on one particular game.
eg. i like the busy multi-layered scrolling background of bloo kid 2, and the more free range of character movement and the different angled tiles also from bloo kid 2, and i like the combat from rygar as well as the foreground lava etc, and the cut scenes changing levels/areas. i also love the puzzle solving from shadow of the beast 2. i also like to build in game too, like terraria etc. building in games is very popular now.  the list goes on...

so i think make a platformer game with different features to give a more all-round experience. maybe you could start the game and get some votes on what to add next?

i can even help with graphics too. i haven't fired up my 3D program in a while. it's getting cobwebs and rust all over it. you are also welcome to use any graphics from my 'holly platformer game' demo. it has a variety of graphics you can instantly use. the map graphics are separate though, as i assembled these pieces in game. i can make them into a single map image if you like, or you can use any individual pieces you would like to use on their own.

this project sounds fun. i am excited to see it grow.

stevmjon

re-starting my platform game from scratch...determined to release a demo!
...if i can stop playing 'Skyrim' that is. oh look, another game expansion. must download now.
Development Team

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 10:51:15 PM »

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the feedback !

The Rygar thing is a bit of in-joke really..  Way back when I was obsessed with that 'how to make rygar'  on my C64/C128 coding days..  Then later on when moving to the Amiga it was one of re-occuring ideas..  

fast forward 20 odd years and  I had assumed Rygar was ported to Amiga officially, but apparently it wasn't... so when seeing a forum thread about a fan based version it rekindled some of that fire Smiley

See -> Conversion Capers: Rygar

It's a good read.   A few pages into the thread and there's some videos / screen  shots..  

well... what type of game? i guess you want to make a platformer going by the rygar arcade link in post#1, so i think maybe a combination of features that look cool to add. not based on one particular game.
eg. i like the busy multi-layered scrolling background of bloo kid 2, and the more free range of character movement and the different angled tiles also from bloo kid 2, and i like the combat from rygar as well as the foreground lava etc, and the cut scenes changing levels/areas. i also love the puzzle solving from shadow of the beast 2. i also like to build in game too, like terraria etc. building in games is very popular now.

Sounds cool..   Reminds me of bionic commando a bit...    

the list goes on...

yeah..  ideally I'd like to avoid too much feature creep..

so i think make a platformer game with different features to give a more all-round experience. maybe you could start the game and get some votes on what to add next?

Good idea..      The only rational of doing something that already exists is that the viewer can see the end result first.   In the blog, I mentioned the idea of Rygar, but really was thinking of something more like a early classic coin op,  not necessarily Space invaders  but something like Galaga.   Where we don't need a lot of media and ideally won't taken a huge number of episodes to get to something reassembles a game.    

Since posting this i'm starting to lean more towards the simpler side of things, which of course is just a perspective thing as what simple for oldbies sure isn't for those new to coding..  

It's a shame we don't have some more pick through /  videos on what we already have..  Even I though tend to think that type of video doesn't work for teaching..  

Anyway, I guess there's no reason why this needs to be a one of..    So we could start with something simple as a dry run, work out what needs to be done for future videos..  

A quick google shows this, which has got some looking platform media.    2D art Asset Freebies (login required)

Development Team

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 12:46:52 AM »

While looking at some old Amiga stuff ran into Ruff 'n Tumble (Code: Jason Perkins - Graphics: Robin Levy - Music: Jason Page)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruff_%27n%27_Tumble

Development Team

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 01:58:17 AM »

Here's a version of Galaga 3 (Gaplus)arcade game that i only remember seeing once as a kid.. In includes the ability to capture a bunch of ships and use them as part of your ship.. 

Arcade Game: Gaplus (Aka Galaga 3) (1984 Namco)

Pages: [1]

Jump to: