News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Kyruss V0.44

Started by kevin, January 31, 2005, 07:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

Welcome to the PlayBasic Edition of Kyruss V0.44

Kyruss is something of simple Computer/OS Virtual Machine.   It's works much like any emulator,  with a few twists :).   The Kyruss VM consists off a 680x0 like vCPU,  global system (128k), Cycle based Multi tasking and thread protecting.  To keep the speed of the simulation up, the API interface is build in as part of the VM.   Which provides various simple gfx & memory (alloc / dealloc / copy etc) services.   All tasks however share the same memory space.

It was originally written to house a Virus War style programming game.   Today, it's perhaps better suited as a simple learning tool for programmers interested in assembly,  without jumping in warts and all.   The assembler is pretty naff though :)

One of the key differences between the PlayBasic port, and it's older DB released brothers (apart from being a lot faster :) ), is that the assembler(s) are now threaded through the Kryuss Virtual machine.. That is to say, the assembler uses a time slicing concept.  This allows it to assemble code while the VM is running.    So it doesn't halt the VM.  

The other main different is this one uses Flexi GUI for the windows emulation.   Still got a few tidbits that need tweaking though,  but i'll no doubt release this later today..   Got to get back to serious work

In case your wondering, this (like most of my recent works)  is just another hobby/test project for PlayBasic

kevin

Kyruss V0.46

So finally, a week later than i'd set aside time for, here's the new update of Kyruss.  While i'd like to take this further, I don't really have the time to do so. But it does make for an interesting and different Tech Demo for PlayBasic

Download

Kyruss Home Page