ThesiusXIII cannot run properly in version 1.64P

Started by piamoo, December 07, 2014, 05:51:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piamoo

Hi,

Sorry for my many ignorant questions. I have a question about ThesiusXIII at the moment. It is a demo game in the projects package for the retail version 1.64L. This game can run in the retail version 1.64L without any problem. In the retail version 1.64P, this game cannot run. There is an error: Error in <paths.pba>, 144:Syntax Error,

Vert=Vert+1

The V1.64P WIP blogs are difficult articles for me. Anyway, I cannot find "XXX=XXX+1" or similar description in the WIP blogs.
http://www.underwaredesign.com/forums/index.php?topic=4089.0

Any professional user can tell me why this happens in the version 1.64P only? A bug or not? Thanks again.

kevin

Works correctly here, but I'm running V1,64P2 beta8..

The line of you posted is pointer arthritic (Vert is a float pointer) which you can see the declaration a few lines above it.  There have been issues with pointer expressions as far back as V1.64O (and probably older) through to V1.64P.   This is actually covered in the V1.64P blog here.

Personally, I don't think it's good idea to try and learn programming by wading through 'big' examples.  Come up with an idea, then try and write it..  Retro 2d games contain a wealth of ideas to draw from,  this allows you to  keep your ideas simple at first, then revolve them. 

piamoo

Quote from: kevin on December 08, 2014, 07:31:48 PM

Works correctly here, but I'm running V1,64P2 beta8.. 

Hi..I have installed V.1.64P2 Beta#08. This game can run in this version without any problem. This version is better than the version 1.64P.

Personally, I don't think it's good idea to try and learn programming by wading through 'big' examples.  Come up with an idea, then try and write it..  Retro 2d games contain a wealth of ideas to draw from,  this allows you to  keep your ideas simple at first, then revolve them. 

Your suggestions are very good...thank you.

Actually, I like to play games and therefore I tried to realize what Scramble, ThesiusXIII and Axis were in the projects package.