News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Clowns 'n' Balloons final released !!!

Started by micky4fun, April 24, 2009, 02:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micky4fun

Hi all

well heres another game , well a simple game not much to this one , just burst 100 out of the 120 balloons to get to next level , it does get a little harder each level , the controll will take a few goes to get use to , as a simple mouse controll would have been to easy ,
score 3000 to get an extra life , thats about it really ,

I know it dont push PB to its limits , rather the least it can do , but just a bit more fun for me
oh yes quite easy to follow my code , as long as you are a spider  ;D
Piinhead will be next , sould not take to long to do

sorry for slight delay had to do some fence painting for my mum , another game maybe , haha

mick :)

kevin

This one's pretty good actually.  Simple idea executed well, can't ask for more than that. 

I notice you're still using prehistoric versions of PB, people using 1.64 should patch in the following after the image loaded section.

For lp=1 to GetImageQuantity()
if GetIMageStatus(lp)
rgbmaskimage lp,$00ffffff
endif
next

micky4fun

Hi

Yep an old favourite from yonks ago , you had to controll clown with atari paddle controller which was a lot more difficult than a mouse ,
well i tested this for 2 days and it all seemed ok , but soon as i post it i found an error ,
please amend line 316: if ds=100 and replace with if ds>=100 otherwise does not always level up ,
ive replace the code with new code
QuoteI notice you're still using prehistoric versions of PB
yep will update asap

BlinkOk

hey micky dude.
lookin good there mate.
i know you like to just whip out a game and get on with the next one but would you be interested in a little artwork for this one?
i understand if you don't. it certainly takes away from you getting on with other project.

micky4fun

Hey ,, hello BlinkOk

well was going to do another variation on this called Pinhead , but its not got much game play to it , so i think ile scrap that
so yes would love some artwork to clown n balloons if you wish to do some.. would bring it more to life
as it has no background at the moment , circus style backdrop would be good !

Kman1011

Hey pretty good. Sometimes the simplest games are the best games. Good work!

Reminds me of a game I had on my ADAM Colecovision called 'Carnival'. It was one of
my favourites.
Ahh... Another visitor. Stay awhile....STAY FOREVER!!!...MWA-HA-HA-HA

BlinkOk

ok i prolly need another day to do all the assets but here's some concept stuff;
i imagine the splash screen looking like this;

the gameplay area and character would look like this;

this is a transition that you could use to change between gameplay/splash/info screens. the awning thingy stretches down to cover the screen. is this ok? can you do that in PB???

some ideas;
i thought i could make the dude be fired out of a cannon rather than going up the ladder.
i felt that when he climbed up the ladder i had no way of judging his trajectory (just and idea)

i thought that when the dude was shot into the air he could form a ball shape and spin to make hit testing easier and to provide a bit more movement.

we could have a landing animation when the dude lands on the see-saw

we could have a balloon explode animation (showing points gained)

anyway let me know what you think ok?

micky4fun

Hi BlinkOk

splash screen looks great , main circus area looks good to , i see you done them in 800x600 , im using 1024x768 here , just incase you did not realise , i can convert to 800x600 , but think 1024x768 will look better as im using full screen on this one to keep everything nice and smooth.

i dont know about the awning screen i not to sure how to do this , if it had stright vertical lines then a simple scroll down with awning , but as lines aint straight a scroll a simple scroll down wont look right , but there must be a way of doing it .

yep cannon sounds good , yet again not to sure if i can do the maths to make it work propperly , thats how come my clown starts out of sight , but i know Kevin or someone could easily help on this as they are clever with this kinda stuff. and ball shape sound good to..

yep balloon explode and see-saw animation sounds good to me as well

ok ile have a little much about while i wait for gfx , so no rush , and see what i can suss out

thanks for ideas and great gfx ,

BlinkOk

sounds good mick,
with the awning bit. it works like this;
there are two images. the front of the awning (the rounded bits) and the back.
when the awning drops down the back bit is stretched (scaled) and the front bit is moved.
does that help??

i am working in 1024x768 but imageshack scales down the images.

micky4fun

Hi , Kman 1011

thanks for comments , was only tickering around with Makeii Runoru diving into physics post , not knowing alot about maths etc , i thought it was rather good , well to me it was anyway , so i thought ile give a pinball game ago first , still may do later , but then mucking about this game to mind just to start with something simple and i knew it would not take to long to complete and had a bit of fun element to it .

yes i had a ADAM Colecovision myself , and yes carnival was a great game on it , was quite a good console with some great games on it , while on the subject , just to reminist in the good old days , im gonner say it ,
i bought the colecovison a while after getting a mattel intellivision , of which i still have as it happens all boxed up , it was the mattel that made a great impression on me as at the time i has an atari 2600 old wooden one , i walked passed a shop that had an intellivison in the window , on it was the football game , i just could not belive my eyes , it looked so real the way the player ran , never forget that .. sad git aint i , haha
favourite game on intellivison was by far skiing , me and mates had so much fun with that single game...

micky4fun

Hi BlinOk

yes i know what you meen , yes sould be how to do this ok , i think , haha

u9

God damn, these assets are amazing BlinkOk. And i love the "a MickyFun game" logo. The graphics actually made me try out the game so kudos for that :)

It would look cool if the clown shot out of a canon when you started. Also he could land on the floor, pick himself up and walk over to the canon to be shot out again for the next try. I also love the fact that i don't have to use the mouse to start the game and then play using keyboard. Many people do this; a mouse controlled menu when the mouse is not needed in the game at all.

Keep up the good work guys. This could turn into a well rounded game indeed.

Note to self: BlinkOk is brilliant artist... a godsend for us programmer-geeks!

u9

Here's an example of how to shoot a clown out of a cannon... press mouse button to "shoot".

micky4fun

Hi u9

just tickered around with my code , and seem to get clown firing up ok , but i will download your demo when i get home as they aint got and unpacker installed at work where i am now , i will see if your code works better and use which evers best , thanks for posting example ,
i must agrea with you BlinkOk does come out with some stonking gfx's and at a great speed as well , dont know how he does it.

man walking over cannon sounds good to me , and then getting up and walking over when dead seems good to

ok think out of cannon sorted out now one way or other , now going to try awning bit

just upscaled your backdrop into my game BlinkOk and it looks superb

mick ;D

BlinkOk

u9: brilliant idea with the clown jumping back into the cannon. nice continuity. nice example too
mick: good luck with the coding. i should have some assets today sometime