News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

world of goo

Started by BlinkOk, October 19, 2008, 09:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlinkOk

World of Goo by 2D Boy

This is a great puzzle game, very well made.
I'm wondering if a game like this can be made in playbasic? with the blur, supporting hi res screen etc.

(login required)

ATLUS

Look nice!!! :)
such too possible was do in PlayBasic :P

(login required)

thaaks

I don't think that teeworld was made with PB. Sounds more like a C++ game.

But I think a game like World of Goo could be doable in PlayBasic. I don't know about World of Goo but it's predecessor "Tower of Goo" was done in plain vanilla C++. Kyle Gabler (one of the 2D boys) didn't even use a physics engine and some freaky physics model - all made of simple sprites and a bit of fake math  ;D

So given a great artist and some good coder who knows his PlayBasic (like Kevin  ;D) I think you can create a game like World of Goo.

I was pretty sceptic regarding PB's capabilities (and my personal abilities to code without using object orientation) but "Who stole Waldo?" and PB proved me completely wrong  ::)

PB is indeed very powerful!

ATLUS

Quote from: thaaks on October 20, 2008, 10:53:30 AM
I don't think that teeworld was made with PB. Sounds more like a C++ game.
Yea its C#, but such game possible to do in PlayBasic.

BlinkOk

so specifically then;
pb has a blur filter?

thaaks

It does have at least a BlurImage command - though it's not recommended for real time usage. But you can blur images, store them and draw them.

How does the Blur filter in Flash work? Can it be applied in real time?

BlinkOk

blur should be ok although i have a feeling that the game blurs stuff in real time (animating the blur)
flash blurs in real time.

monkeybot

thaaks

Quote from: monkeybot on October 21, 2008, 08:51:41 AM
that game is excellent
Yup!
Just downloaded the demo and played the first two levels - wowzers!
The game play is not so much different from Tower of Goo. But the art style and the effects (like the blur or the screen filling and erasing with goo) are really great and my jaw drapped onto my table and my son standing next to me insisted on getting this game installed on his machine tomorrow morning! Then we'll see if it does not only support high res screens but also 800MHz P3 processors ;)

I was surprised to read in the credits that Kyle Gabler didn't do programming - seems like he is more the art guy.

I wonder if I can buy this game via Paypal? Got some cash from somewhere this morning  ;D

kevin

Finally took a look at this,   It's very nice, with presentation to burn..      Graphically, it's only running in 800*600 on my machines, and for the most part the scene is made up of  perspective 2D.     You can do this even in either version.  (Platformer.       There's not really that much going on,  it's all the physics. 

Something similar is certainly possible.  But, unless you know your physics or  wrap an external physics engine, then it's pretty unlikely.

QuoteThen we'll see if it does not only support high res screens but also 800MHz P3 processors

well, It's playable on the duron,  not as slick though.