Main Menu

Diving into Physics

Started by Makeii Runoru, April 03, 2009, 03:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makeii Runoru

A couple nights ago at work I was thinking about how real world physics are designed in games. Without looking at any cheat sheets, I tried making my own simple physics in this small hit-the-square game. A simple concoction using gravity, velocity, etc.

I was aiming for weighted vertices (where some vertices in a shape weigh more than others and therefore rotate the shape according to gravity). And eventually, I'd like to try figuring out how 3D physics work.

Anyway, enjoy the small demo. It's a little biut of fun. Just try to get the highest height off the top of the map as well as getting the most hits without the square hitting the ground. (a green arrow indicator will show you the X position and height of the box if it goes off-screen).
This signature is boring, and could be improved. However, the user of this signature doesn't need a fancy signature because he or she doesn't really care for one.

micky4fun

Hi Makeii Runoru

Yes love this , so much reminds me of a game i had as a kid , many years ago , forgot name of it , but basicly you had a load of marbles and 3 mini trampolines , you had to adjust the height of the start of the marbles and use the 3 tramoplines along the bottem to bounce marbles of and collect them in a box , hope this pic helps ,
you maybe could do a nice puzzle game here , with loads of marbles to start and carry over collected ones to next level ,
maybe some objects in the way that need jumping over passing between etc maybe moving walls so timing is needed to release balls etc , maybe change marbles to acrobats , a coil spring , etc
start tower is ajustable up and down , trampolines you can move side ways , box or collection point is stationary..

mick :)

ps , maybe be how to move trampolines up and down and angle them  as well ,

im gonner muck about with this later today and post something up later hopefully  :)

Kman1011

Yeah I remember that game too. It was called bing bang bong or something.

Good game idea!
Ahh... Another visitor. Stay awhile....STAY FOREVER!!!...MWA-HA-HA-HA

micky4fun

Hi all

ok did not have much time today but here's a quick thing that i mean , beware its a simple game , use mouse to grab trampolines at top of screen , and place them to get ball to land on box ,
trampoline 3 far right one will help with any awkward box positions as you can rotate it by holding it with mouse button and pressing left and right arrow keys at the same time
you could do this for all 3 trampolines , also could have loads of balls , clowns etc on screen at once ,
same thing could be used as a new version of tetris , any 3 in a row game , bounce them into place rather than them dropping from top of screen.

easy use this as a pinball game , lots and lots of games with this physics program by Makeii Runoru
incorparate part of it in a span jump

yep collision detection needs ajusting i know , but just a quick demo

mick :)