News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

8 bit & 16bit Computer Gaming Cover Disks

Started by kevin, October 26, 2023, 07:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

8 bit  & 16bit Computer Gaming Cover Disks

Who remembers cover disks ???   Who remembers computer and gaming magazines even ?  

For me they were staple through out the late 1980's until about the 1997/8.   I Still have a bigger than expected collection of mag's that I've been meaning to do something with for years now..  But came across these gems the other;  good old floppy disk cover disks.   I've more in disk boxes around the house; so this picture is a sample of some Amiga one's that contains games of interest from that period,  spanning 1988 -> 1994 (ish)

- Uridium II 
  - Street Fighter II  (there were a couple of attempts at this.. )
  - Arymatye 

stevmjon

space hulk was a good one for it's time. the sound effects and music were atmospheric for the scene you were in.
not only do you remember the gameplay but also the emotion too. getting attacked by the creatures made it scary. they did a great job at immersing you in the game.

i have kept all my amiga magazines from the 80's and 90's. i have a large pile of them, and also have all the cover disks stored in a floppy disk box.

i even have my original amiga 500 too. it was working when i stored it in the cupboard, but i haven't switched it on for about 20 years. not sure if it will work or not, whether it has one of those big sized batteries that are soldered to the board or not.
i heard about battery leaks over time. i know this did effect the amiga 4000's as i had one of those but it stopped working so gave it to an amiga shop for spares.

i wonder if the floppy disks will still work after all this time?
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

kevin

Quotei have kept all my amiga magazines from the 80's and 90's. i have a large pile of them, and also have all the cover disks stored in a floppy disk box.

Me too;  although didn't consciously keep them; they just go put away in a box and forgotten about.  Found all kinds of toys when moving last year !

i even have my original amiga 500 too. it was working when i stored it in the cupboard, but i haven't switched it on for about 20 years. not sure if it will work or not, whether it has one of those big sized batteries that are soldered to the board or not.

sold my A500's earlier this year and they fired straight up !     BUT..   You're spot on about old batteries, the other one is capacitors; which slowly leak over time.    I've still got my A1200, which ran the last time I fired it up (12months ago)... But it'd need to be re-capped if I was going to use it on a regular basis.    Wouldn't want to fry it because some capacitor fails. 

Quotei wonder if the floppy disks will still work after all this time?

Yeah... it's a bit of lottery actually.  I've got boxes of disks;  but I'd be amazed if say at least 25% of them are no longer readible.      You might lucky though if it they were stored some place climate controlled.   Mold is a big one for killing em..