News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Question about Packfiles ?.

Started by takis76, March 04, 2009, 06:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

takis76

Hi,
  I am very newbie , I have just purchased my PlayBasic hours ago , and I create my game programming with Playbasic , I fount it very interesting in 2D games and very fast.
  I have one question , but very early question , because I don't have programmed in the PlayBasic yet , but I am programming games 20 years.
  I make one very quick read of the manual and I fount fantastic functions and fantastic things , you able to make with this language , and I thing as I saw in the demos and game , might be easy to be made , I don't know yet.

I am a Darkbasic Pro , game programmer and I have seen in thegamecreators newslater about the Playbasic and I decide to dirt my hands  :P

How could I load all my game recourses (musics,sprites,pictures,texts,fonts,sounds etc...) from a Pack file? (Levels.dat , Graphics.dat...)
  Very early to make this question but I need to start with this.
  Is thare any library which , able to load your game data from a Pack file and be able to protect it with password?

In DarkBasic for example has one spacial library which load images and music files from a special block file and other data are stored in the EXE file.
  Thank you very much...

kevin

PlayBasic doesn't support pack files natively.     You can of course roll your own format(s), then load & decode the chunks internally.   Which to be honest, is the more secure option anyway.    As any solution that's built into PB, will just make it trivial for other PB users to export the contents.

Update: This info is obsolette,  PlayBASIC V1.64O supports loading image / font / data media from internal resources or from an address in memory.

Big C.