Main Menu

Operation Watergate

Started by Kman1011, October 18, 2022, 06:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kman1011

Greetings fellow PB gamers

Thought I should start showcasing my work so I will periodically post some screenshot of a few complete games, current work and perhaps a few utilities

First one I thought I would share is one I call operation Watergate. I guess I have a thing for nostalgia because if you look close it does resemble a game
created back in the C64 days called Impossible Mission. Another version came out during the Amiga days as well.

I thought of doing an Isometric view of a platform set in an office tower. Object is to obtain 9 electronic keys to shut down each level. However these sentry
Robots get in the way and some may come after you.

What's special about this is that each time you play the layout of the rooms change so you are never playing the same game twice !! The rooms are
randomly changing for each sector and each game played. They can also be loaded and saved

There are 9 levels, each one is more difficult than the last. (level 9 is impossible)

Here are some screenies for your enjoyment! :)

Ahh... Another visitor. Stay awhile....STAY FOREVER!!!...MWA-HA-HA-HA

stevmjon

looking good kman. i like how you can see the whole room.
i have never done isometric views like this. how do you do this? i understand 2D and 3D but this is like a combination. it sorta confuse me, lol.

just wondering, are you using playbasic to write the code in?
looking forward to seeing your progress.

stevmjon
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

Kman1011

Thanks stevmjon,

Isometric views aren't too difficult to do. It's based on a (x)2:(y)1 ratio. So as the character moved across the screen moving north say, his screen X increases by 2 and his screen Y decreases by 1.

The images are actually converted from 2D to the 3D squares you see just using a simple equation.

Yes this is all Playbasic code. I had to be creative when it came to the random maps but I made it work.

I would like to improve the look of the character. Make him a little more visible but because he can move is 8 different directions, That's a lot of drawing. Wondering if there would be an easier way.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted on progress.

piamoo

Quote from: Kman1011 on October 19, 2022, 07:38:13 PM
Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted on progress.

Hi....the screenshots of your game are really interesting. I hope that the game will be very successful! 8)

QuoteYes this is all Playbasic code.

I am so excited. I really hope that the game will show the full potential of PlayBASIC! :D

I had to be creative when it came to the random maps but I made it work.

Creative idea is an important factor for an excellent game. If you want good ideas for your game, the games of the following webpage may inspire you significantly! There is a huge number of very nice isometric games and most of them are free.

https://itch.io/games/top-rated/tag-isometric

stevmjon

nice link to the itch.io website. there is certainly a lot of games there.

my suggestion for the main character is too model it in 3D and rotate to different angles and create images that way. it is a bit of time to model, but makes character posing faster and easier.

Kman1011

QuoteHi....the screenshots of your game are really interesting.

Thanks. I used a PB function 'LightImage' which really gives some of the panels some depth and dimension. Just had to play around with the values to get it just right.

Thanks for the link. Some interesting ideas on Isometric games. :)

Kman1011

Quotemy suggestion for the main character is too model it in 3D and rotate to different angles and create images that way.

Yeah I was thinking that too if I had something for that. I was able to model the robots like that though. They rotate 15 degrees per frame.

I should try that with the character. I just thought the character would be too detailed to build in my 3D object creator. It's fairly crude right now.

I'll have to see if there something I could use that would work better.

piamoo

Quote from: Kman1011 on October 20, 2022, 06:25:22 PM

Thanks for the link. Some interesting ideas on Isometric games. :)

Those game developers are passionate about developing games and so should we! ;) 8)

piamoo

Quote from: stevmjon on October 20, 2022, 06:19:29 PM
nice link to the itch.io website. there is certainly a lot of games there.

Hello, by the way, Itch is a very large website for indie game developers and gamers. Everyone can register there without registration fee. A unique URL can be obtained. For example, stevmjon.itch.io, Kman1011.itch.io, etc. I was very surprised because none of our long-term or experienced PlayBASIC users register there. Let the whole world know the existence of PlayBASIC! :)

Itch's members can:1.upload their games without any fee. 2.participate in game jams. Many, many game jams. (https://itch.io/jams/starting-this-month/sort-date)
8)

Kman1011

Screen shots don't do it justice.

Here are some links to see it in action

https://youtu.be/uqxbTOf5-Zk

https://youtu.be/wvo6qUJOWoA

https://youtu.be/4esYGvzS9cU

https://youtu.be/3uzG0ozZLp4

Game runs faster, it's the screen recorder slowing it down.

kevin

All set to private..  although YT will say this for scheduled videos too.  

Looking forward to it

Kman1011

Hello to the PB Community,

Here is the latest update to the 'Operation Watergate' project.

I have finally created a Demo Version of the game and uploaded and published to the itch.io site. It's free of course (Also because I can't accept money because I'm outside the US)

The Demo version contains only 1 level to try out. Usually takes only an hour or so to finish a level. A little more retro than games you see on there but that's my style.

Hopefully no issues as this is the first time uploading to a game source.

If you can find it, (I can't see it but perhaps because I'm the author) let me know of any issues, let me know.  :)

stevmjon

found it straight away by searching 'operation watergate' on the itch.io website in the "free games" section

https://kman1011.itch.io/operation-watergate

i will download and check it out.

stevmjon

i downloaded the zip folder and tried to extract the zip file and it says 'invalid'.
when i look inside the zipped folder itself it shows as empty, but the file size is 10,576 KB?

maybe try uploading again...

kevin

Yeah I get the same issue when downloading it..