Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Operation Watergate

Started by Kman1011, October 18, 2022, 06:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piamoo

Quote from: Kman1011 on February 18, 2023, 08:27:41 PM
Also added commenting as Piamoo wrote:

Hello, I look forward to the success of the full version of the game.

QuoteHere's the link & have fun.

I downloaded the new demo version.

QuoteHowever I now have a new issue

The game cannot be successfully run on my computer.

Kman1011

QuoteThe game cannot be successfully run on my computer.

Ok thanks,

I know now its not just me.

I'm having an issue with the user lib function not being found.

No idea how to fix this.
Ahh... Another visitor. Stay awhile....STAY FOREVER!!!...MWA-HA-HA-HA

kevin

These types of issues generally indicate a mismatch of the install files, If i run the supplied exe I get an error.  If I load the source and compile it with the current built (whatever it is)  and copy those dll's across into the target folder it runs as normal. 

Looks like your running a 165C2 update, which isn't actually the current one.   There some number beta's that have full runtimes and one that notes fixing an issue with screen mode upon start up.      This one (login required)  Which I assume is what I'm using.. 

Kman1011

Well when I remove the .dll files, I was told to put in, from the folder it runs. Are U saying this could be fixed with latest update?

The one you linked me up with (1.65C3) I downloaded and unzipped.

When I open the Application it gave me an error - Fatal Error - Can't locate Compiler path.

Am I missing a file. Defender will remove files without permission sometimes

stevmjon

if you have multiple versions of playbasic installed, you need to get the correct .dll files.

if you create the application file using PB1.65C2B you need to get the 3 .dll files from the PB1.65C2B install folder only (if get from any other installed PB folders it will be incompatible).
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

Kman1011

Quoteif you create the application file using PB1.65C2B you need to get the 3 .dll files from the PB1.65C2B install folder only (if get from any other installed PB folders it will be incompatible).

I created the .Exe using PB1.65C2(Yes I know that's not the latest version but having issue installing that as well). I pulled the pbsyslib DLL from the Playbasic folder and placed in the working folder along with the .exe

Still getting userlib function not found. :-[

Its the only version I have on this systemError Missing Closing Square Bracket

kevin

you'd need the all 3 files  VGFX + VM as well as pbsyslib (those 3 dlls) in the same folder as your EXE.  But I suspect the issue mentioned here has something to do with it not starting when they're  present. 

To install a beta, you'd unzip the folder some place then copy the playbasic.exe and included dlls and the BIN folder over your existing files, replacing them.

However if you wanted to create a second (or third or whatever ) install (without actually installing anything) just copy your existing PB folder to a new location and rename it.    I generally have folders with the branch they fall under.   So PlayBASIC_V164    , PlayBASIC _165    that sort of thing..   ONce you have a clone of the folder with a new name, enter the folder and create a shortcut to the IDE  (editor.exe) within that folder..   I generally rename those too,  so that when I drag them to the desktop, it doesn't overwrite the default one..    All versions will still look at that same temp location, so they'll use the same activation and file history as each other. 

Then you can mess around with whatever revision suits..

stevmjon

do the 3 .dll files need to be in the game folder, and the game program ran at least once, before the application .exe file is created?

or does playbasic look in the game folder first by default before it looks in the playbasic install folder?

is the search behaviour different between 1.64 and 1.65 and the newest beta versions?
It's easy to start a program, but harder to finish it...

I think that means i am getting old and get side tracked too easy.

kevin

Quotedo the 3 .dll files need to be in the game folder, and the game program ran at least once, before the application .exe file is created?

Locally first,  then it'll try the windows folder..

When an exe is built via the compiler & linker   the compiler compiles the byte code and data down to a bundle which are all linked into the runtime and copied to the output folder.   The problem with this model is that when a program executes it basically has to unzip it self upfront frist (ie lots chicken and egg problems).    The short cut process just checks locally (in the same folder as the game exe)  and if it sees files of the correct name (it can't check their version) it assumes they're ok to load.   If the file versions are mismatached then you can get all sort of generic lib errors on startup. 

or does playbasic look in the game folder first by default before it looks in the playbasic install folder?
is the search behaviour different between 1.64 and 1.65 and the newest beta versions?

Well the runtime was re-imagined for 1.65, this had an impact on the entire process from startup to shut down.    So yeah there would be differences and those differences often manifest themselves as dependencies where and what startup has access to at what time..     

Ideally it all need to be replaced and moved towards PlayBASIC V1.65 / V1.66 - Interfaces (External Command Sets) (login required)

Kman1011

Ok. So I replaced the files in the PB folder and now have the 1.65C3 Update.

Works great and now the program works with the pbsyslib in the game folder. So the new version has been uploaded to itch.io

However I found 2 things that make it work best.

Open the .Exe from the folder once downloaded and extracted as opposed to launching from the itch app

also use windows 7. Higher versions slow the game GFX way down.

Thanks for your help. That's it for now