Main Menu

forum posts

Started by new-be-new, June 27, 2005, 06:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Berg

I hope Kevin doesn't take Tomaz's advice. The whole attraction to me of Playbasic is its basic (no pun intended), hands-on nature. If you want 3d, Direct-X and all that stuff use DarkBasic. Just my two-cent's worth.

empty

PlayBasic FX will be DirectX9, but since it'll all be modular based, the current software 2D engine will still be available. So fear not! :)

Tio_Bit

Quotehmmm... i think i'll post a tile making tutorial for side scrollers.  It might spark some interest within the community.

The PlayBasic documentation is Ok, but I agree that something that  is missing are simple step by step tutorials how to make diferent games with PB : How to make Pacman with PB , How to make Space Invaders with PB, etc... ; Examples are Ok , but tutorials will be better (IMHO)

Greets
Tio_Bit

JokerZ

QuoteI hope Kevin doesn't take Tomaz's advice. The whole attraction to me of Playbasic is its basic (no pun intended), hands-on nature. If you want 3d, Direct-X and all that stuff use DarkBasic. Just my two-cent's worth.

I agree with Mick.
I think 3D tends to add a layer of complexity to development that some of us don't really want. It's nice to know that FX will be using a modular approach (thanks empty!) for incorporating the 3D graphics libraries etc.
There are already plenty of viable options for 3D, so I guess for the time being if you need that sort of functionality in a game, then you know where to look.

I prefer to work in 2D and Playbasic provides almost everything I need.
A few enhancements which will hopefully find their way into future releases and I really wouldn't need to use anything else for games. Well cross platform to Mac OSX would also be nice one day.  :)

kevin

Tio_Bit

Agreed,  there is certainly a huge need for tutorials about the mechanics of building various games types.   While i've written a few tidbits, and will continue too, but  it's not like we have loads of spare time.  While we've had a few offers to produce tutorials, unfortunately so far none of them have submitted anything.

So i'm not really sure what we can do about it.   I've even considered paying for tutorials !,  While i think this would attract authors,  it's not very useful if their not versed in PB to begin with.

kevin

Mick,

QuoteI hope Kevin doesn't take Tomaz's advice. The whole attraction to me of Playbasic is its basic (no pun intended), hands-on nature. If you want 3d, Direct-X and all that stuff use DarkBasic. Just my two-cent's worth.

Well, while there is some merit in what Tomaz has posted. I certainly don't subscribe to everything he's said.   But it's valid point that while PB remains fairly old school, it'll always be difficult attracting users based upon the mostly conceptual elements that it encapsulates.   Sadly, pretty effects attract people like moths to a flame.

We knew this when setting out however and the plan has always been to build a base product and then give users set of expansions that sit on top (or replace) parts of it.   So if the punters wants to utilize hardware accelerated sprites in DX9 say, they use the PBFX module, if not, you don't..