electrical storms and modems don't mix..

Started by kevin, December 11, 2004, 11:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin

The past two days my home city has been pounded by electrical storm after storm..  Getting heaps of rain, which is good, since were still in drought mode here.  Booted the pc yesterday,  only to find out i'd lost another 56k modem.  Tried running the 28.8k i'd retired years ago.  While it's surprising how little difference there was (about 1k per second yay..), having the extra tiny bit of bandwidth is nice to have.     Got a replacement 56k modem today.  Man has hardware prices dropped through the floor here, the last one I got, a couple of years back, was $120/$130 ish.. The new one was $55 aussie $ retail...

On another note, According to Telstra ( our telecom provider), broad band is still coming soon to our region.. It's been coming soon for years :)

empty

Oh yeah thunderstorms blowing up stuff, that's something I know too well. :)

kevin

:)

Thinking about getting a satelite connection, which the pay-tv companies offer here, which is fine for the down stream, but the up stream still requires a modem..

XpMe_v1.2

Yes get broad band when you can.

Satelite TV loses its signal when a thunderstorm starts to get intense(A good indicator that a heavy downpoor is comming in a minute or two).

...XpMe v1.2         B)
...XpMe v1.2

http://tilemusic.com/

tomazmb

Hello,

My experiences are also bad. I had also lost 1 56k modem due thunderstorm, but I got new one without needing to pay for it (as a replacement) from the firm where I bought my PC. But I also had bad experience with cable connection, once a thunderstorm burn out my net-card, for which I had to pay. I believed I was safe with cable connection, but I was wrong. So my suggestion is: on heavy storm, unplug your cable-net connection! :(

Have a nice day,

Tomaz
My computer specification:

AMD Athlon 64 2800+
MB ASUS K8V Socket 754 VIA K8T800
SB Audigy 2
3 GB RAM DDR 400 MHz PQI
AGP NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 256 MB-Club 3D
Windows XP Pro SP2
DirectX 9.0c