News:

PlayBASIC2DLL V0.99 Revision I Commercial Edition released! - Convert PlayBASIC programs to super fast Machine Code. 

Main Menu

Tile Engine and Map Editor System

Started by LemonWizard, April 30, 2009, 05:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LemonWizard

What I have here is an incarnation of an older map editor I was making for a text based game. I decided to convert it into something more useful. Since I already had most of the routines for it written.
I'll upload zip folders of the project here. Be warned though it's very WIP.
The eye icon loads the map in the editor, and the chest icon thing saves the map.
The map is by default saved to C:/savedmaps/map1.txt
Anyone who knows a bit about using pb can easily change this.
Sorry if the code is a bit sloppy...
You can scroll using the arrow keys in the map editor, in the tile engine you can move with the arrow keys.
I've implemented a simple, tile changing command if the player is standing on a switch it gets pressed down.
Any switch in the tile engine will behave like this.
Later on I'll allow the editor more features like the ability to create an array within the map of that engine for switches... things like that. It'll be wicked.

ATLUS

LemonWizard

Thanks Atlus ^.^
What I'm going to do maybe this week is maybe implement a full tile set feature.
Oh also..
I should mention that the character in this engine comes from the Rpg Maker XP RTP Standard.
If you have a character image from that RTP set, that's 128 by 128 pixels you can replace the character image that this engine is using with another one from the set.
So, basically any charset that fits this design will plug into my tile engine with ease.
^.^

kevin

This file Tile Engine 4.zip doesn't seem to have a map in it.. 

LemonWizard

Basically you have to create a map with the map editor first =p
It gets saved to C:\savedmaps\map1.txt

Sorry I didn't mention that. The tile engine runs whatever map you saved from C:\savedmaps/map1.txt

Enjoy.
Updates will be more this week.

LemonWizard

I'm updating the map editor and tile engine system tonight.
managed to get a screen shot feature in the map editor that takes the whole map's snap shot
Also managed to do some other things.
Created a switch system, I'll turn it into an array later tonight.
And. I made two new tiles, one is a mock door tile and the other one is the door being opened.
Going to expand the map system for this engine so that maps can be connected...

I might implement a proper tile set format, and maybe even the ability to set solids and passables
in the map editor.

LemonWizard

Would anyone be interested in seeing this engine go places?