News:

Building a 3D Ray Tracer  By stevmjon

Main Menu

Cracking on for easter , game now released

Started by micky4fun, February 22, 2009, 02:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlinkOk

hey thanks mick,
the changes should be very easy i think. just a couple of animations here and there

micky4fun

BlinkOk

ok i did a little work on it. i thought it could use a little colour. it's a real cutesy type game so i went with a cell shaded type look. very simple, bold graphics. i wanna really up the animation side of it. i thought we could have the chicks blink and maybe turn their heads a bit as they move up. when they get near the top they could shiver before dying. i have a dead sprite too.
the hammers could swing on the wall when they are not used and i have a animated first person style whack animation.
here are a couple screens. i really gotta do some more work on the splash screen though.

here's a flash animation showing some of the animation i was looking for;
ANIMATION
when you see the splash screen, right click and select "play"  to see the animation

micky4fun

Hey Whats Happened Here Then ,,

yes its a little better gfx than mine i suppose , lol

BlinkOk thats superb , no unbelievable is a better word , how can you do this !! , and so quick

before you go any further i must lay my cards on the table so you know what a fool your helping out here , as i honestly dont want you to waste your time .

i managed to get your santa's sleigh animation into my other game ok , but as you see i did'nt have much of a clue in how to get the flash splash screen going of which was a shame on 2 fronts 1. would have looked nice in game and 2. time wasted by yourself.

so my programming skills are on the low side , all i have been doing is looking at all the examples and demo's included in playbasic mucking about with the values and seeing the results and then seeing i can adapt then slightly to make some kinda game , the rest is more luck than judgement and with playbasic rotation command make things very easy to animate , well so far anyway.

so what im trying to say is , i love the graphics you have done , there fantastic , you have a great talent and if you dont mind wasting it on my game , well that would be great , but i dont know if i can pull it all off with my programming skills , ile give it my best shot , but if it dont come out good , then maybe you could alter it ,

ok i dont think i need to teach you to suck eggs , lol
all your ideas sound sood , my sprites are the eggsfull inc cup , bottom eggs inc cup , top eggs , then birds and hammers as well as hand..
so the bird and top egg could be all in 1 sprite , as i only used 2 so i could tilt  egg top when bird was dead..
the bird sprites hide behind the eggsfull inc cup and bottom eggs inc cup sprites so the birds rise behind them , thus covering birds..
the hammers on wall are all sprites , as for having them swing could maybe do this with a timer animation , or rotatesprite command maybe
the birds shivering , would this be a sprite animation?
first person hammer would look  a lot better than the side view i have , i did look for a first person animation but could not find or do one myself.

ok i know you already know all this proberly , just incase

ok BlinkOk , ile leave it upto you on what you want to do and not as i know you know what you are doing
and look forward to your reply , but please remember its micky4fun your dealing with and not mickyKnowsWhatHe'sDoing , lol

thanks very much for you help
mick :)

ps just relised you have to right click splash screen to play it , absolutly superb BlinkOk

kevin

Quotei managed to get your santa's sleigh animation into my other game ok , but as you see i did'nt have much of a clue in how to get the flash splash screen going of which was a shame on 2 fronts 1. would have looked nice in game and 2. time wasted by yourself.

I posted an adapted version for you :)

Don't be so negative.   Good programmers are a dime a dozen,  Good designers on the other hand are  Priceless !

micky4fun

Hi BlinkOk

i just put your screens into my game and it looks amazing , and i did just a quick cut out of hammer and chic in egg and used them as sprites and looks very good indeed , so proper sprites will look even better ..
its looking a very promising game now with thease new graphics..

QuoteI posted an adapted version for you
sorry Kevin i did not relise , thanks for that ,
QuoteDon't be so negative.
yes i know it sounds negative , but with someone else doing a lot of work i dont want to let them down ,
dont mind letting myself down thats ok and quite regular

cant wait for images , looking very nice indeed

thanks

BlinkOk

kevin's right micky dude. you're great at churning out games.
talking about writing a game is one thing but finishing one is another. and you have finished so many.
anyway. i still think i could implement all the changes with simple frame by frame animation.
i reckon i'll start by matching up my graphics to those in your /gfx directory
and then we'll make up a few sprite sheets and see how we go from there.
i'll get some time on it tomorrow

micky4fun

Hi BlinkOk

nice of you to say so , some stuff i start and if its going nowhere i just stop , usally within a hour or so ,,
ok ile wait for images/sprites and go and see how we get on from there .

ive been mucking around with Kevin snake challenge for a day or 2 now , alas not a snake in sight using somethink else , its plodding along slowly as i going down a few roads at the moment so slow progress ,

thanks again BlinkOk for all the hard work your putting in and look forward to images

BlinkOk

didn't get much of a chance to work on it today. kids soccer etc.
changed the splash and created a wind animation for the gameplay.
i'll make sure i produce some working assets tomorrow.
ANIMATION

micky4fun

Hi BlinkOk

Animation looks very good ,

Quotedidn't get much of a chance to work on it today.
anytime BlinkOk , dont want to take up all your spare time , but i seem to spend most of my spare time tapping away i just love it , but time goes so quick..

BlinkOk

ok. couple of final questions and stuff. please note that these are only suggestions. you are the game designer and you have the final say.

1. i think the shrinking and expanding of the gameplay area is a little distracting. we can make the eggs crack before a chick comes out so that should give the player time to adjust to a new level without being taken out of the experience by the shrinking etc. i though a simple level up animation might be ok. (click on the level up button in the gameplay screen to see the level up animation)

2. can you render anti-aliased graphics? some of these images have a transparency mask (mostly for shadows). if you want we can maybe get around this another way but it might be just as much work.

3. i now think i have most if not all of the graphics except for a success fail screen. have a look at the gameplay screen in the animation. you can pick up (and replace) hammers and clock the chicks. it shows an add animation for adding a value to the high score.

4. did you're game have a high score board??

5. do you want sprite sheets or separate images (for the animations)

if i can get an answer to these questions i can give you all the graphics

ANIMATION

micky4fun

Hi BlinkOk

Thanks for animation , look very good to, you have done some great work here
you have nearly done all the game ,

Quote1. i think the shrinking and expanding of the gameplay area is a little distracting. we can make the eggs crack before a chick comes out so that should give the player time to adjust to a new level without being taken out of the experience by the shrinking etc. i though a simple level up animation might be ok. (click on the level up button in the gameplay screen to see the level up animation)

yes that seems ok , i only did the in and out screens as a challange for myself ,
Quotecan you render anti-aliased graphics? some of these images have a transparency mask (mostly for shadows). if you want we can maybe get around this another way but it might be just as much work.
oh dear now your going beyond me , well for the time being , im still using pb 1.64c as quite used to this , i will upgrade soon , maybe you can do this ?
Quotedid you're game have a high score board??
no not yet , is this hard to do , as a top 5 or 10 scores would look good at the end
Quotedo you want sprite sheets or separate images (for the animations)
without a doubt separate images please , as not done any sprite sheets yet

as you can see im going to struggle a bit , a little out of my depth now , but ile give it all a bash , like i said if i cant get the final result , maybe you can take over or something

hope all this helps
thanks again

BlinkOk

no your not going to struggle at all mate. hopefully kevin will be along and point us in the right direction as far as anti-aliased images are concerned. i know there are some threads around here that explain it. i'll have a look and see.

micky4fun

Ok BlinkOk

ile take your word on that then , got you and kevin hopefully then to help us out i could not be in better hands ,, give it my best shot..

thanks mick :)

BlinkOk

ok, like mr disney said; "lets keep moving forward". here are all the graphics required for the splash screen. can you have a go at putting them together?
Download images
thanks